Jeremy Stephens on assault charge: ‘I had nothing to do with this’

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

On the morning of October 5, Jeremy Stephens was arrested by the Minneapolis Police Department in relation to an out-of-state felony charge. The arrest forced the cancellation of a fight scheduled later that same day with Yves Edwards at UFC on FX 5.

The case is scheduled to go to trial next month in Iowa.

Despite the fact that Stephens has been adamant that he was not responsible for the assault, and is innocent until proven guilty, some fans were surprised that Stephens was granted a license by the Washington State Department of Licensing to finally fight Edwards last Saturday night at UFC on FOX 5.

A spokesperson for the Dept of Licensing told BloodElbow’s Brent Brookhouse that Stephens had been open and honest about the charges, and as the trial had not yet taken place, they were comfortable with the licensing.

BE acquired Stevens statement about the charges.

Summary of pending charges;

I had a party in Des Moines, IA, October of 2011, at a local bar. Two guys got into a physical altercation outside in the parking lot of my party. One guy got beat up pretty bad and the other was arrested.

There were numberous witnesses of this altercation, my manager being one of them. I was notified I could face a civil suit due to it being my party but I was never contacted about this.

A year later, I was served with a warrant and arrested for assault, which was a complete surprise. I had nothing to do with this and not even guilty by association as I didn’t even know it was going on. I knew once it was over and numerous people came back in the bar and told me.

I have no idea why I’m being brought into this situation, other than the suspect doing anything possible to get out of trouble and the victims coming ater the guy who they think has the money. I would never do anything like this and there are numerous people that have put in affidavits and deposition giving their side, proving I had nothing to do with it.

I hope that the case is dismissed soon, otherwise I will take it all the way to trial next year and prove my innocence. This whole situation has been very tough on me, especially financially as this has cost me more money than I have, just on my defense team.

As of right now, my lawyer is taking care of matters to make sure the ball is rolling in the right direction. Worst case scenario, I have a court date on January 9th that I need to appear. Until then I’m doing everything asked and will not be a problem.

I have no restrictions or anything like that. If I leave the country, I just have to notify them. That is it. I hope to get this cleared up asap so I can move on and prove my innocence. This has been hurting my family, myself and numerous others so much and I can’t wait to put it to rest.

If you have any further questions, feel free to e-mail me at ————.

Sincerely,

Jeremy Dean Stephens

Read entire article…