Mike Whitehead to make no-contest plea in sexual assault case
Heavyweight mixed martial arts fighter Michael “Iron Mike” Whitehead reached an agreement today with Clark County prosecutors to make a no-contest Alford plea for allegedly attempting to sexually assault a woman about a year and a half ago in his Las Vegas home.
When Whitehead is arraigned in Clark County District Court, he will plead guilty, to a lesser charge of one felony count of attempted sexual assault, his attorney William Terry said.
Whitehead had been arrested on charges of sexual assault, attempted sexual assault and open and gross lewdness and also faced possible drug charges involving marijuana found growing in his home.
Under the agreement, the district attorney’s office will make no recommendation on sentencing, assuming that Whitehead gets a favorable psycho-sexual report prior to sentencing, Terry said.
The alleged incident happened April 10, 2010, when a woman filed a police report that the MMA fighter had assaulted her.
The former TUF competitor was initially charged with doing far more than attempting a sexual assault. Whitehead was arrested for sexually assaulting a female friend following a barbeque at the fighter’s home in April of last year. Whitehead invited the victim and her friend to stay the night after they’d had too much to drink; once the pair had passed out in his bed, he allegedly removed the clothes of one of the women and began having sex with her while fondling the other female. The victim awoke and ordered him to stop, but he continued for several more minutes before sitting quietly in a chair next to the bed.
Whitehead appeared with limited success on TUF 2, and after a subsequent loss to Keith Jardine at UFC 57, was cut by the UFC. He then fought for the International Fight League, Affliction Entertainment, and M-1 before signing with Strikeforce, where “Iron Mike” beat Kevin Randleman and lost to King Mo. He most recently fought for Pure Fighting Championships and IFC in 2010.