Sonnen, 36, contemplating retirement

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Everyone thought that if Chael Sonnen had a chance Saturday night, it was through aggressive, relentless wrestling. As it turns out, he didn’t have a chance. Now, 16 years since his first professional MMA fight, Sonnen is thinking about a future besides, not in the cage.

Case Keefer of the Las Vegas Sun has the details.

“I don’t think I’ve been taken down three times in my career,” said Chael Sonnen. “He took me down three times in one round.”

Chael Sonnen admitted Jones embarrassed him with his performance at the Prudential Center. Despite a badly broken toe, Jones finished Sonnen with unrelenting ground-and-pound strikes 4:33 into the first round.

The loss left Sonnen contemplating retirement. While the 36-year-old doesn’t plan to reach a final decision on his future for a while, he said he was only in the UFC to chase a championship.

And Sonnen thinks that’s no longer possible after falling to 0-3 in title shots with the loss to Jones.

“I’ve had a lot of fights not go my way,” said Sonnen. “But I’ve only been beat up twice, and that was No. 2. And he beat me at my own game.”

“I like to fight, but I love this business, and there are so many opportunities that are out there that weren’t here a few years ago. And broadcasting is one of them.”

Sonnen is a staple on virtually all of the Fox-produced UFC content. UFC President Dana White said last week that the network television channel wanted to use Sonnen in an expanded role, so it’s not like he’d enter retirement with nothing to occupy his energy.

Read entire article…