The top 10 fights that never happened
One of the main selling points of mixed martial arts has been its ability to deliver the fights people want to see. Whether or not you agree with the methods of UFC President Dana White, it is hard to argue with his track record of delivering big-ticket bouts. Without question, 2012 has been a challenging year for the sport, with many pivotal matchups falling by the wayside due to injuries and withdrawals. The good news: many of those bouts — i.e. Jose Aldo-Frankie Edgar, Jon Jones-Dan Henderson, Glover Teixeira-Quinton Jackson, etcetera — still have plenty of time to materialize.
As with any sport, however, MMA still has its share of “What if?” matchups, bouts that, for some reason or another, did not happen and probably never will. What if M-1 Global and White had been able to agree to terms? What if Wanderlei Silva fought in the Ultimate Fighting Championship in his prime?
Here are our choices for the “Top 10 Matches That Were Never Made.”
1. Randy Couture vs. Fedor Emelianenko
2. Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Rickson Gracie
3. Ken Shamrock vs. Frank Shamrock
4. Fedor Emelianenko vs. Josh Barnett
5. Wanderlei Silva vs. Chuck Liddell (in 2003)
6. Frank Shamrock vs. Kazushi Sakuraba
7. Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brock Lesnar
8. Anderson Silva vs. Matt Hughes
9. Tito Ortiz vs. Dana White
10. Randy Couture vs. Wanderlei Silva