Vera stops Couture at Strikeforce Challengers V
In the evening’s co-feature, female striking specialist Karry Vera did what husband Brandon couldn’t just one week ago: finish a Couture.
While Couture was able to occasionally utilize her jab, Vera’s response to each attack proved overwhelming. Powerful hooks and strong knees found their mark repetitively, and Couture was unable to control the action in the clinch. Vera’s speed and pinpoint attack damaged Couture as the match became increasingly one-sided.
Clinched with Couture near the fence, Vera worked free and delivered a final assault that rocked her opponent on a few different occasions. As Couture wilted against the pressure and collapsed to the floor, the bout was mercifully halted at the 3:35 mark.
Vera moves to 2-0 and looks to be a promising contender in Strikeforce’s 135-pound division.
Main card Results
* Tyron Woodley def. Rudy Bears via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 1, 2:52
* Kerry Vera def. Kim Couture via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 3:35
* Bobby Voelker def. Erik Apple via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 1:23
* Rafael Cavalcante def. Aaron Rosa via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 3:25
* Kevin Casey def. Chad Vance via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 1:41
Prelim Carr Results
* Lee Gibson def. Joe Wilk via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:39
* Brian Davidson def. Russell Patrick via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:29
* Nick Nolte def. Andy Waters via submission (triangle choke) – Round 1, 3:45
* Darryl Cobb def. Gary Tapasua via split decision
* Mike Chandler def. Richard Bouphanouvong via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 2:07
* Lucas Lopes def. Dominic Brown via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 0:45