White: GSP refutes TMZ rumors

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

When UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre was announced as the winner at UFC 167 Saturday night, he expressed the desire to take time off of indefinite duration, citing unnamed personal issues. Shortly afterwards, TMZ, showing the journalistic integrity of a troll, named the problems. They don’t bear repeating, as they are false, defamatory, and have been refuted by multiple sources.

TMZ’s reliability in the MMA space was established when they announced the death of Kimo Leopoldo, following a troll post about his death on the UG, so it was perhaps no surprise.

In an interview with the LA Times, UFC president Dana White said he spoke with GSP earlier this week, and the champion “is denying those rumors that TMZ is reporting about those two things.”

“As far as a rematch, we’re on schedule and I’ll have a date within a couple weeks. I feel confident that Georges is fine with that and all is on track.”

White said the rematch could take place around the UFC’s annual Memorial Day weekend card, but would not commit to that date.

White also followed up on critical remarks he made Saturday about the controversial scoring in the bout Saturday.

“It’s not the commissioners who I have a problem with,” said White. “I have great respect for the commissioners. I honestly believe change is going to happen, that the athletic commissioners in Nevada will fix the problem.”

There was another rumor that GSP was being sued for millions by former manager Shari Spencer. Despite the allegation being reported on dozens of sites, no one thought to ask her. The the other rumors, it is not true.

“Georges S-Pierre may have 99 problems, but I ain’t one,” tweeted Spencer, adding appropriately “#learntofactcheck.”

White also said that GSP is “going off the grid” on vacation.

He earned it.