White: Shields was ‘never going to be the guy’

Monday, April 07, 2014

Yesterday the UFC announced that Jake Shields had been released from his contract, despite being unbeaten in four consecutive fights before losing to Hector Lombard.

Today UFC President Dana White commented on the release:

White told Yahoo Sports on Monday that Shields was due to make $120,000 in his next fight.

“We look at everything,” White said. “Everything. Money has something to do with it. I'd be lying if I said it didn't. But that wasn't the only reason or the main reason. It was a part of the piece of the puzzle as we were doing our evaluation of him.”

“Mixed martial arts is a young man's game,” White said. “I like Jake Shields a lot. But let's be honest here: Where was he going in this [welterweight] division of animals we have? He's on the downswing, and he's never going to be the guy. His stand-up never improved. He hasn't really shown anything in his last couple of fights to make you go, 'Holy [expletive].' Right now, at this point, he's just another guy.

“All of the people who had been [expletive] and moaning to me about Jon Fitch when he was fighting for us and were complaining that he was so boring, they all got outraged when we cut him. And it's like the same thing now with Jake. Well, the media didn't even think he was good enough to be in the Top 10.”

read entire article…