Evangelista ‘Cyborg’ retires from MMA

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Evangelista ‘Cyborg’ Santos has retired at age 39, after a 20-year career in mixed martial arts. Last year at Bellator 158 in London, Santos suffered a horrifically fractured skull in a fight with Michael Page. He has recovered from that injury, but wisely determined that 20 years and 50 fights was enough.

“I’m feeling really well, never felt anything [post surgery], but I don’t think I will fight again,” said Santos to Guilherme Cruz for MMA Fighting. “I don’t want to risk getting an aftereffect for the rest of my life and don’t be able to pass on my knowledge, and give work to my family.”

The fighter calculates his record as 32-18. He fought Shogun Rua, Gegard Mousasi, Yuki Kondo, Melvin Manhoef, and Nick Diaz. The last one was for the Strikeforce welterweight championship. Some of his favorites weren’t even wins.

 

“The championship fights, my fights with Diaz and Melvin, the knockouts over Gabriel Gladiador, my seven-second knockout over Silvio Urutum at Meca 7, the IVC 14 tournament with 16 heavyweights in Venezuela, and the 8-man tournaments I’ve fought were fights that marked my career,” he said.

“I want to be remembered as someone who dedicated his life to the sport he loves and always gave his best, and never picked opponents.”

“My plan was to fight again this year, and fight 10 more times in MMA, but not everything goes as we plan. But I feel I’ve fought some of the best fighters in the world, and not I will help create champions.

“I want to thank Scott Coker and all employees from Bellator, who always cared about me and respected me and my work. I want to thank Chute Boxe and everyone who believed in me; my family, my friends, and coaches. I don’t regret anything I’ve done or hasn’t done. I want to do my best as a coach now.”

Santos will be running the Chute Boxe gym in Texas, and heading the Muay Thai federation in Minas Gerais, Brazil.