Hunt’s manager: US doctors cleared him to fight
UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt was pulled from a fight with Marcin Tybura at November’s UFC Fight Night 121 over medical concerns. In a recent interview, the fighter had said he was showing symptoms of CTE.
“You can hear me starting to stutter and slur my words,” he said to Australia’s Player’s Voice. “My memory is not that good anymore.”
However, after being pulled from the fight a livid Hunt said that he had been misquoted, and charged colorfully that UFC president Dana White had it out for him personally. White explained not unkindly that that was not so, that he was being a decent human being.
Further, the manager says Hunt wants a rematch with Fabricio Werdum a UFC 221 on February 11, 201, in Perth, Australia.
“We’ve just had a conference call with the doctors in the States, who gave us the good news,” said Ginnen. “So it’s all looking positive. The doctor said Mark scored well above average and that he’s good to compete. So they’ll ring the UFC now and let them know. We’re just waiting on the UFC to clear him.”
“So now Mark’s been cleared twice. He’s done testing with two experts in Australia — and been cleared — before going and proving himself again in the US. Obviously our concern was always Mark’s health and we’re pleased to know everything is fine. The doc said he’ll forward on the results to the UFC and so we’ll wait to hear from them.”
“So we would love for Fabricio to be Mark’s opponent in Perth. We think Francis Ngannou is next in line for a title fight. So we’d like to go up against Fabricio and hopefully be in line for a title hot at the back end of 2018.”
CTE is enormously difficult to diagnose. Hopefully, with his career hanging in the balance, Hunt was as honest with the MDs as he was with the journalist.