McGregor’s dad on cartel punch-up rumors: It’s nonsense

Friday, December 01, 2017

Irish and English newspapers are heavily covering an unconfirmed story that UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor punched a mob associate in an Irish bar on Sunday night. The man who was reportedly struck is in his late 50s and has close ties to convicted drug dealer Graham ‘The Wig’ Whelan. Whelan is allegedly a member of the notorious and deadly Kinahan cartel. The unnamed man was reported to be innocently trying to break up a fight between McGregor and another man, when he was punched for his trouble. And, the story goes, irate Irish mobsters want the champ to pay $1,000,000.

McGregor’s response was flippant.

There is no suggestion that McGregor was socializing with hoods. And in an interview with Brynmor Pattison for the Irish Mirror, McGregor’s father Tony insisted that the story is entirely without merit.

 

 

“That’s all nonsense, that is,” said Tony. “Absolute nonsense. It’s an absolute nonsense story. It’s grown legs and it’s getting that ridiculous – it’s become funny. We have nothing to fear here whatsoever. There’s no one after us for anything. We’re a law-abiding family and we’ve stayed a law-abiding family.”

“As a matter of fact, right now I’m going out to buy my TVlicensee. I’d view 95% of that story as nonsense and the other 5% is overly exaggerated. And that’s it.”

“He’s at home with his son. We’re all just settling down for Christmas now. I’ve just got the grandson’s presents in today, they just came in from America. I’ll be wrapping them, putting them under the tree for the big day. That’s it.”

A bartender at the club where the altercation supposedly took place echoed Tony’s words.

“It’s a lot of s*** over nothing really,” he said. “That’s all I can say to you. … Nothing happened but this thing that’s gone on, the situation in the area, just McGregor’s being mentioned and it’s nothing got to do with [him].”