UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> IBJJF Black Belt registration s_cks!

8/6/14 5:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sgt. Slaphead
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm just scrolling this thread for giggles, but isn't the person who promoted you to black supposed to be 2nd and all paid up in their dues for each year of their own rank?

So getting someone else who is 2nd degree to just sign off is not allowed.....or am i missing something.

8/6/14 5:39 AM
falsecrack
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol, taking it a step further and jamming up threads that are years old now. bravo

8/6/14 5:42 AM
Sgt. Slaphead
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

holy sheeit......this is a resurrected thread!
8/6/14 7:21 AM
Berserker
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Richmond, VA

Still don't understand why people compete in their tournaments; fuck them and their dumb rules and corruption.

8/6/14 8:31 AM
Josh Mancuso
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Baton Rouge, LA
I support Blackbelt registration. Anyone from a legit lineage should not have any problems.

I have been registered since brown and it's been easy, and only costs $35 a year. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 8:37 AM
RobertKipness
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh Mancuso - I support Blackbelt registration. Anyone from a legit lineage should not have any problems.

I have been registered since brown and it's been easy, and only costs $35 a year. Phone Post 3.0

BOOM
8/6/14 10:14 AM
Sir Taps
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, London, England
Josh Mancuso - I support Blackbelt registration. Anyone from a legit lineage should not have any problems.

That's your membership card. BB registration is separate. I've got my membership card, but am not registered as a BB with the IBJJF.

But for me the problems start to arise if you're a BB who falls out with your teacher. Then you have no-one to sign off your stripes, as the form can only be signed by the BB who awarded your black belt. That's where you get can get into difficulties, because effectively you're tied to that BB. IMO any BB of the required grade should be able to sign off your forms, not just the one who promoted you. I mean, what if they died? What then?

James
8/6/14 11:38 AM
Jordan Tabor

Black Belt, Cambridge, MA
Pyramid scheme. The affiliation heads pay up to the IBJJF, about 400 a school for each that they control. The schools pay 2,000 a year to belong to the affiliations. The students then pay those specific schools, for their membership instead of the competitors, so they can hold rank at brown and black and contest the world championships. By letting you in at white through purple, you get independent schools roped into this system, then your instructor is decapitated every six years.
8/6/14 11:56 AM
forumnewb

Lol @ all of you for still blindly supporting the ibjjf.
8/6/14 12:02 PM
Ryan Prouty
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Peoria, IL

You dont have to be a "registered black belt" to compete.

I mean its bad enough we pay for the fucking card then $115 for one match. Unless you have a school and need to be "recognized" there is no need to pay for that shit.

8/6/14 12:39 PM
Jordan Tabor

I don't think it's right to do that to school owners and/or program directors either. They're people too and don't deserve to be scammed.
8/6/14 1:00 PM
Josh Mancuso

You have two choices with the IBJJF, one costs $400, and one costs $35.

They both get you the same thing except one gets your name on their website and you get a certificate.

It's $35 dollars.

If you have a falling out with your instructor then you need to find a new team to sponsor you, which if you're legit shouldn't be a problem.

IBJJF has it's faults but in a world with a ton of fake Blackbelts I totally support this process. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 1:02 PM
Josh Mancuso

Jordan Tabor - Pyramid scheme. The affiliation heads pay up to the IBJJF, about 400 a school for each that they control. The schools pay 2,000 a year to belong to the affiliations. The students then pay those specific schools, for their membership instead of the competitors, so they can hold rank at brown and black and contest the world championships. By letting you in at white through purple, you get independent schools roped into this system, then your instructor is decapitated every six years.
My school is registered with the IBJJF. It costs me $50 not $400.

My name is on the drop down box when selecting a professor for my school. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 1:24 PM
Jordan Tabor

Edited: 08/06/14 1:28 PM
It doesn't cost you 1200 a year in affiliate fees to revolution?

http://www.bjjrevolutionteam.com/affiliate-fees/
8/6/14 1:50 PM
Patrick Robinson
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Valparaiso, IN
Lots of incorrect info on this thread.

I'm certified with the IBJJF which cost $400. This allows me to receive my stripes from the Federation and stay 'independent'. If I just wanted to compete then it would be only $35 per year. The $400 allows me to remain independent. I train with who I want, host seminars with who I want, and I don't put up with the cost and B.S. of affiliation. My team is on a drop down menu so all my students can compete under my gym's name. Easy peasy. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 2:03 PM
Jordan Tabor

Edited: 08/06/14 2:03 PM
That's how they treat guys from Megaton and Humaita. Different for outsiders. If they treated the inside guys like that, the business would fall.
8/6/14 2:08 PM
dokomoy
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People have been paying affiliation fee's since well before the IBJJF "required" people to register belts. Blaming the IBJJF for affiliation fee's is dumb as heck and pretty dishonest too.
8/6/14 2:14 PM
Josh Mancuso

Jordan Tabor - It doesn't cost you 1200 a year in affiliate fees to revolution?

http://www.bjjrevolutionteam.com/affiliate-fees/
Yea, but what does that have to do with the IBJJF?

And I am more than happy to pay that to support Rodrigo And Julio. I hope they make enough to retire one day. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 2:18 PM
Sir Taps
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, London, England
It's real simple. As a black belt, if all you want to do is compete, pay $35 for your membership card. If you want the certificate and your name on the list of registered BBs, then it's $400, plus a ref's course (which if you're that interested in the IBJJF, you'd probably do anyway). Stripes? Same again, $400 and it's done. Can't get your old instructor to sign your forms? Keep a copy of the old ones, scan in his signature and 30 secs of Photoshop time later, job done. You only have to play the affiliate game if it suits you. The original instructor thing is bullshit, but it's not insurmountable.

Really, all of it is not a big deal. Could it be easier? Yeah, of course. But it can all be handled.

James
8/6/14 2:48 PM
Matthew Godden
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Buffalo, NY
Patrick Robinson - Lots of incorrect info on this thread.

I'm certified with the IBJJF which cost $400. This allows me to receive my stripes from the Federation and stay 'independent'. If I just wanted to compete then it would be only $35 per year. The $400 allows me to remain independent. I train with who I want, host seminars with who I want, and I don't put up with the cost and B.S. of affiliation. My team is on a drop down menu so all my students can compete under my gym's name. Easy peasy. Phone Post 3.0

Do you pay the $400 for each stripe? They don't require signatures for the stripes/degrees? Do you just put the tape on yourself?

Serious questions. Hope it doesn't sound like trolling.

8/6/14 2:54 PM
brendan raedy

Black Belt, Vienna, VA
Berserker - 

Still don't understand why people compete in their tournaments; fuck them and their dumb rules and corruption.

Because people want to be "world" champions and IBJJF is the universally accepted standard in that regard?

8/6/14 3:03 PM
Jordan Tabor

Yea, but what does that have to do with the IBJJF?

Because they make it mandatory and they would kick you out if you stopped affiliating. They just coincidentally receive a kick back from every affiliation sold.

Can't get your old instructor to sign your forms? Keep a copy of the old ones, scan in his signature and 30 secs of Photoshop time later, job done.

For the record, while I don't support this system, I also don't support stealing a signature from anyone. That's just wrong.
8/6/14 3:03 PM
Jordan Tabor

brendan raedy - 
Berserker - 

Because people want to be "world" champions and IBJJF is the universally accepted standard in that regard?

Basically.
8/6/14 8:57 PM
Soul Gravy

Stop competing in IBJJF tournaments.
8/7/14 11:45 AM
Patrick Robinson
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Valparaiso, IN
Matthew Godden - 
Patrick Robinson - Lots of incorrect info on this thread.

Do you pay the $400 for each stripe? They don't require signatures for the stripes/degrees? Do you just put the tape on yourself?

Serious questions. Hope it doesn't sound like trolling.

I paid $400 the first time to get certified. I had to have my form signed by a IBJJF certified 2-stripe black belt, a referee course and a CPR certificate. Then all I had to do was pay my $35 annual membership fee.

When I applied for my first stripe (3 years after receiving the black belt), I paid $150 and updated my referee course and CPR. They sent me new certificates indicating I was now a first degree black belt. I did not require a signature that time because I was already certified with them.

I did put the tape on myself, which was the weirdest part of the whole procedure...lol.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.