UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Grispi article in Boston Herald

10/5/10 7:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Gritty
826 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A word to the wise - stay on Grispi’s good side

Bill Mahoney remembers the first time an opponent got under Josh Grispi’s skin.

It was the now WEC featherweight’s first professional fight four years ago and foe Nick Zimmerman called him a pretty boy. Grispi finished Zimmerman off in 18 seconds.

A year later all it took was a smug smile from Glenn Medeiros to agitate Grispi. Medeiros was stopped in 40 seconds.

Grispi is a nice kid, so nice in fact he likes to find reasons to get angry at his opposing opponents before going to war with them in a cage. So last week, when the 21-year-old’s WEC 52 opponent Eric Koch predicted that he would knock him out and “pick him apart with my speed,” Mahoney, Grispi’s coach, said be careful what you wish for.

“He is such a nice kid. We have tons of jokes about it. He likes to find reasons subconsciously to get really angry at his opponent right before he gets in the cage,” Mahoney said. “I remember there was a kid Glenn Medeiros and he got in the cage and was like `I’m going to go easy on this kid’ - he was like 0-4. He gets in the cage and this kid just has this cocky grin and Josh looks at us and was like, `What’s he smiling at?’

“He just gets so angry, it really motivates him. I remember his first fight, this guys Nick Zimmerman said, `Oh that’s the pretty boy I’m fighting,’ and he just completely lost it. No one that’s (angered him) has survived more than a minute. But I don’t know if it’ll work so well against world class guys.”

Grispi has been training under Mahoney and Scott Lockhart at South Shore Sport Fighting since he was 13. The pair wanted to train the then young teen in MMA. It’s a different route from those who concentrate on one or two different and separate martial art aspects like jiu-jitsu or boxing.

And it’s worked. The Plympton native is widely considered one of the best featherweight fighters in the world. Grispis is 4-0 in the WEC heading into November’s fight and continually impresses Mahoney in training.

“My partner Scottie says this all the time, this kids potential is a million times what he has,” Mahoney said. “He was our first ever child student. Him and his brother showed up at the same day and we had no kids at the time. I went alright I’m going to train this kid to be an MMA fighter. I’m not going to train him in just jiu-jitsu or boxing.

“Right from the beginning from he was so little, we wouldn’t do a lot of striking but just hit the mitts like crazy. He would spar grappling and striking while I’d spar just grappling. I think he was already fighting when he asked what jiu-jitsu was. His first art was MMA.”

Koch, 22, is a solid opponent. Though he said he feels he’ll have an advantage over Grispi, whose strengths are on the ground, while standing five of his 10 wins have come from submission. The Iowa native is 2-1 in the WEC and is coming off of a submission victory over Bendy Casimir.

And though three of Grispi’s four WEC wins have come from submission, Mahoney thinks Koch may be underestimating his stand-up abilities.

“Honestly, even if we told Josh to take him down, he would bang. I know Eric is a good kick boxer, I just don’t think he’s powerful enough to really hurt Josh that much, unless he lands the perfect shot,” Mahoney said. “Josh’s style is just so wreckless and so raw. It’s really different when you’re in there with him and his crazy reach and ridiculous power.”

10/5/10 9:19 AM
Chris
349 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Partner
 good article.
10/5/10 3:34 PM
Bill Mahoney
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He left out the 99% where I got all metaphysical and explained the meaning of life and stuff.Just the MMA stuff again...(sigh)
10/5/10 5:24 PM
Mark_Daniels
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/05/10 5:24 PM
Boston Herald, Staff Writer
Thanks guys.

And BIll, I think you should write a book. I can see it now.... "Grappling with life: Bill Mahoney's thoughts on our existence"

10/5/10 5:50 PM
TomBSupraT
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Koch has nothing for Grispi.

TKO Rd.1 The Fluke

Then he headkicks Aldo into Bolivia.
10/5/10 5:52 PM
GladiatorGannon
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark_Daniels - Thanks guys.

And BIll, I think you should write a book. I can see it now.... "Grappling with life: Bill Mahoney's thoughts on our existence"

I recomend that everyone friend Bill Mahoney on Facebook, his posts there are priceless.
10/5/10 6:01 PM
catch wrestler
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From starting training at 13 years old to being a top 145lber by the time your 21..... Pretty amazing. And all at the same gym. Josh is the future of MMA in my opinion. He's not a wrestler, or a BJJ blackbelt, or a boxer, etc etc etc. Started with MMA and look where he is now.
10/5/10 6:39 PM
Graceful Kauto

Sorry to piss on the parade lads, but Aldo kills him.
10/5/10 6:49 PM
Dougie
900 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bill was hilarious on the old rec.martial-arts newsgroup.
10/5/10 7:26 PM
donnybrook
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for Grispi, Mahoney, Daniels, and Warren "Giant Lee" Mayonne!!!!
10/5/10 7:42 PM
Dysqo

Edited: 10/05/10 7:42 PM
So how old is Grispi's brother? Any ideas on when he will start fighting?

Since Kevin brought up Giant Lee, I saw someone posted this on the northeastmmma.net site, but got no response...

It looks 'new' http://www.leeironclawmaione.com/index.html
10/5/10 8:06 PM
benoliviero
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A Josh Grispi/Marlon Sandro fight would be fantastic.
10/20/10 1:08 PM
dutchwrap
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

catch wrestler -  From starting training at 13 years old to being a top 145lber by the time your 21..... Pretty amazing. And all at the same gym. Josh is the future of MMA in my opinion. He's not a wrestler, or a BJJ blackbelt, or a boxer, etc etc etc. Started with MMA and look where he is now.

Koch sub rd 2
10/20/10 6:21 PM
catch wrestler

dutchwrap -

Koch sub rd 2

I think if Koch is going to be subbed, it will be before then.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.