UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Thiago Silva Statement

3/30/11 11:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AmericanTopTeam
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AmericanTopTeam

We make decisions every day of our lives. Some are good and some are bad. When you make a bad decision, you can either make the situation worse by trying to cover it up or lie about it or just stick your head in the sand and refuse to acknowledge it even happened or you can own up to it with an honest explanation, accept the consequences of your actions, apologize to the people affected by it, learn from it and move on. I’m choosing the second option.

I used a urine adulterant when giving a sample following my fight with Brandon Vera. I did so in an attempt to alter the results of the test and knowingly broke the rules of the Nevada Athletic Commission. This was a terrible decision on my part for which I will be punished. I am prepared to accept this punishment, learn from it and move on. I apologize to the Commission, the UFC, Brandon Vera and the MMA fans.

I do want to explain the circumstances behind my actions. Please do not interpret this as an attempt to justify my actions. I know they were wrong and I know I made bad decisions and I know I deserve to be punished. That is why I began my statement with an admission and an apology before going into these details. This is not an excuse, only an explanation.

continued...

3/30/11 11:39 AM
AmericanTopTeam
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AmericanTopTeam

I had been tested on five prior occasions while fighting for the UFC before the Brandon Vera fight. Four of the tests were urine only and one included a blood sample as well in New Jersey the day before the fight. I passed each of those tests. I suffered a severe back injury shortly before the Rashad Evans fight. It was the biggest fight of my career and there was no way I was going to pull out of it. I fought and lost and was out of action for a year rehabilitating the injury and getting ready to fight again.

I reinjured my back 45 days before the fight with Brandon Vera. After not fighting for a year, I made the decision to not pull out of the fight. I also decided that the only way I could continue with the fight was to take injections in my back and spine that contained substances prohibited by the Nevada Athletic Commission. I also made the decision to use a product to hide the presence of these substances in a urine test.

These decisions were mine and mine alone. I did not share this information with anyone prior to the fight for fear that I would not be allowed to fight. I obviously made a terrible decision. I have since learned that it may have even been possible to fight had I been open and honest and disclosed the injury and treatment prior to the fight. I also realize that not being allowed to fight as a result of the treatment would have been a better result than the mess into which I have now gotten myself.

Again, I take full responsibility for making the decision to break the rules and try to cheat the system. I will accept the punishment I receive and will learn from this. I plan to come back as a better person and professional as a result.

3/30/11 11:40 AM
JerseyJoeJitsu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FIRST!
Ram Rod
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

first
Hillary
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Much respect for the statement.
Ram Rod
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

damnit jersey joe!!
3/30/11 11:41 AM
RavenFighter

"I used a urine adulterant when giving a sample following my fight with Brandon Vera. I did so in an attempt to alter the results of the test and knowingly broke the rules of the Nevada Athletic Commission."

THANK YOU.

We're going to be able to move on much easier now.

Best of luck in the future. Learn and move on to better things.
3/30/11 11:41 AM
jjj2121

Respect for owning it like a man.
3/30/11 11:42 AM
Stoing

Wow, props for coming clean & accepting your punishment like a man instead of trying to make excuses like others have done in the past.
3/30/11 11:44 AM
xxzygotexx
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, came out proper, fessed up, no bullshit and owned up to it...I have mad respect for that...
3/30/11 11:45 AM
Pernicious
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good info to know. Allows for understanding.

Good work manning up and admitting it.
3/30/11 11:46 AM
RickStorm
1778 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for him for owning up

I tried to read that in a Brazilian accent but couldnt for some reason.. lol

Jsteven
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jjj2121 -  Respect for owning it like a man.

Nexuscrawlers
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

restecpa
always a fan.
3/30/11 11:47 AM
phantomknifehand
283 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3/30/11 11:48 AM
Dr Violence
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honesty is the best policy

Respect 
3/30/11 11:50 AM
Mayhem13
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

much respect.
3/30/11 11:52 AM
groundwork
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/30/11 11:52 AM
Wow. Compare that to the bs denials of fighters and baseball players and seemingly everyone else who gets caught cheating. I always rooted against him b/c i don't like the throat slash, but i am offiacially a new thiago silva fan.
3/30/11 11:52 AM
romophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WOW.
It takes a man to do what he just did.

3/30/11 11:53 AM
hooke

Respect for accepting responsibility. Serve your punishment with your head held high.
3/30/11 11:53 AM
H@GG!S

Tbh with coming out clean and telling us how it really went down will probably get you more fans than you had.

Mad respect for coming stright out and hopefully you will learn from this and come back strong.
3/30/11 11:56 AM
Jason
293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Thiago, everyone fucks up, its part of who humans are, but it is what we do after the fuck up that defines our character. Great post. Learn from it, take your lickings, and come back stronger, we know you will.
3/30/11 11:56 AM
Saint721
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

respect.
3/30/11 11:57 AM
Sagiv Lapkin
2096 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Respect for accepting responsibility.
3/30/11 11:57 AM
BrutalMedic
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thiago, I'm quite sure you're aware most fans would just rather you got yourself fighting again instead of having to go through the phases of defending yourself for something you know you cannot escape.

This was not an attempt to be better than Brandon on the day, but more so to give yourself the opportunity of a level playing field on the day.

Congratulations for making the effort to post this to us, it is hugely appreciated. Good luck in dealing with this.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.