UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rampage has some words for Joe Rogan

2/20/12 11:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Cotton
641 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tinytuffnutz- But let's call a spade, a spade, and that's what Rogan is doing.

Did you just recently get fired from ESPN?
2/20/12 11:50 AM
Salt the Snail
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not shocking that Rampage gets butthurt at criticism he's a fighter. He's got the me against the world attitude. He threw no leg kicks against Machida, Jones didn't even try to take him down until later in the fight, and Hamill didn't have the elite wrestling to take Rampage down.
2/20/12 12:08 PM
jjj2121

Edited: 02/20/12 12:08 PM
 Rampage has been a plodding one dimensional boxer for years no matter who his opponent is.  He clearly is doing just enough training to get by and isn't motivated to be the best he can be.  He's always been open about fighting for a paycheck and his name is big enough at this point where he can still get paid while not putting forward maximum effort.  He's been painfully boring to watch for years and in all likelihood the Bader fight is going to suck too.

Rogan being honest (and not harsh at all) about this is simply Joe doing his job.

2/20/12 12:24 PM
CaptainWoody
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

later
2/20/12 12:35 PM
UGCTT_Lanfeare

Is it just me or his playing pocket pool for over half that interview.
2/20/12 12:37 PM
temujen
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/20/12 12:40 PM
Rampage is obviously a bit sensitive about being told what to do, or being critiqued...Joe has relatively objective commentating/critiquing of one or both fighters nearly every damn fight, but nobody else really seems so butt-hurt.  At the same time, he's definitely talented and has a lot of potential.  

The truly disappointing part is, all the criticism in the world, no matter how productive or potentially helpful won't ever change his mind.  Short of a miracle, he's not going to change up his style, or truly adapt because he just doesn't want to ("Arties gonna do what Artie wants to do" comes to mind).  If he really diversified his game, he really would be capable of getting the belt back and even retaining it, but until that happens, he's just going to be the guy with heavy hands, who doesn't really check or throw leg kicks who kind of plods around with his movement.  One thing he should takeaway is that comments like that are not meant to be disrespecful at all.  

And that "rusty trombone" comment, totally uncalled for and off-base, Joe would clearly be the one getting the rusty trombone, not giving it.

2/20/12 12:42 PM
CesarGracieJewJitsu

Joe Rogan -  I think he'd beat the shit out of me too.  :)

Good shit joe, this is why people like you

you aint no bitch

and aint scared homie, to take some criticism as you also dish it out during commentary whether it be knowingly or unbeknownst
2/20/12 12:44 PM
Sugarfoot
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
Devereaux - Kinda strange for a high level mma fighter to be so sensitive.

Kinda strange for a high commentator to be so opinionated. Phone Post
2/20/12 1:00 PM
Sugarfoot
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ifapouttotortillas -
Sugarfoot - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
Devereaux - Kinda strange for a high level mma fighter to be so sensitive.

Kinda strange for a high commentator to be so opinionated. Phone Post

why is that strange? Can't Joe give and have an opinoin?
It was a bad joke, i love both guys! Phone Post
2/20/12 1:06 PM
Rookie Fighter

Wow I just watched and I had no idea a fighter would feel that way against you Joe. Is this common? Phone Post
2/20/12 1:09 PM
sdot

Joe can be a little biased at times, not always for bjj though. Joe's the best commentator in the sport though and is a great guy to have in the sport as he has a lot of name/face recognition with people who aren't mma fans, and is a real fan not just a commentator.

The times when I think he shows a prejudice are when he gets onto a technique one fighter is using, that is an underappreciated technique, like leg kicks. He will focus almost exclusively on those and neglect counter punches for example. and it happens with all the various disciplines in the sport, not just bjj. But I understand why he does that, when I'm with friends who aren't hardcore boxing/mma fans I will point out, probably in excess, the intricacies that they may be missing and stress that these strikes/techniques are more substantial than they appear to be.
2/20/12 1:10 PM
irishrottie
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its simply Joes style of commentating. At times he gets hung up repeating certain things like the leg kicks for example. Rampage feels like Joe is making him out to have a useless style at times. He feels as if Joe is making it seem like he knows more than him about fighting and what he should do.
2/20/12 1:12 PM
scrapdo
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eh, I like Joe's commentary and very few people are even adequate at calling MMA fights at this point so he has certainly done a great job compared to his peers but I can see how a fighter would have criticisims of the people calling their fights.  'Page may not be Chaucer but there's a point in there and he has a right to express it.
2/20/12 1:24 PM
ds1970
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

irishrottie - Its simply Joes style of commentating. At times he gets hung up repeating certain things like the leg kicks for example. Rampage feels like Joe is making him out to have a useless style at times. He feels as if Joe is making it seem like he knows more than him about fighting and what he should do.

I like Joe, but I noticed this too. I also noticed that he sometimes gets hung up on a fighter's size like with Bendo for example. Back when Bendo was in the WEC, commentators really didn't talk about him being a huge lhw, but Joe talks about it every time Bendo fights.
Bendo has muscular legs, but he doesn't look huge to me. He certainly didn't look that big when he fought Cowboy, Pettis, Varner, etc.
2/20/12 1:25 PM
1 pt Fuhrer 1 pt Pope
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick Diaz Fan -  joe do you like guys who can take shit loads of punishment and keep fighting on like a warriors example my personal faves
diaz,dan henderson,shogun,sakuraba,nogueria

I can't be sure on the exact one but around UFC 112 Joe said he actually prefers fighters who crumble after minimal punishment and pressure...
2/20/12 1:29 PM
jjj2121

1 pt Fuhrer 1 pt Pope - 
Nick Diaz Fan -  joe do you like guys who can take shit loads of punishment and keep fighting on like a warriors example my personal faves

I can't be sure on the exact one but around UFC 112 Joe said he actually prefers fighters who crumble after minimal punishment and pressure...
I spoke with Joe about this very subject, his favorite fighters are Bob Sapp and Scott Blevins.

2/20/12 1:31 PM
SD CARTEL
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rampage is just a wierd dude. News flash Rampage, that is Joe's job. I agree Joe is A BJJ nuthugger, but I see nothing wrong with that..so am I. That being said the biggest mistake Joe ever made was shunning Renato Laranja...that's gonna follow him around well after he's dead.
2/20/12 1:36 PM
pi6el

Rampage sounds really insecure.
2/20/12 1:38 PM
LAE

Anyone else remember a video the UFC put out on their website around the time Rampage signed with the UFC? Him and Rogan riding around like a "day in the life" and Rogan tapped him with a RNC when they where rolling. Rampage meets someone from Wu Tang while he's driving around in his truck. I can't find the video anywhere
2/20/12 1:38 PM
croy_00
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/20/12 1:40 PM
Joe Rogan -  For the record, I like Rampage a lot.  I've always enjoyed hanging out and talking with him.  I'm sure if I talked with him about all this stuff he would feel a lot better about it.  I'm certainly not hating on him, I'm a fan.  When I talk about his game it's because I have to analyze things objectively, and I think he's one of the toughest, most dangerous guys in the game.  If I describe something that I wish he would do it's because I think his athletic and fighting potential is immense. 

Personally, if I was a fighter who had someone with the analytical skills on the level of Joe, pointing out area's in my game that could be complimented by adding a few things here and there, I would be very appreciative. It is a well known fact that Joe has seen so many MMA fights, and fighters evolve over the years, that you can't help but think he might just know what he is talking about.

Still, Joe, if you ever get jumped by Rampage, I suggest you immediately go for a spinning back kick. If it doesn't work, you would be wise to let him think you knocked yourself out with the kick attempt, and play dead........just be careful he doesn't start motorboating you or humping your leg.....he is known to do that...

2/20/12 1:47 PM
Porkchop

Props to Joe for chiming in.

Everyone knows that Rampage is sensitive about people criticising him and his fight style. He really cares a lot about his image.

Joe tends to point out how Ramapge rarely checks kicks and rarely throws kicks but it can often be a factor in the fight so it's fair enough.

I think what Rampage wants from Joe is less educating of the noob fanbase and more just calling the fight as it happens. Joe's style is to educate though and get new fans familiar with fighters and their tendancies.

Rampage isn't one dimentional but his fight style almost always ends up being that of trying to put hands on guys and knock them out that way.

Neither guy is wrong but Rampage needs to chill a bit.
2/20/12 1:48 PM
Porkchop

LAE - Anyone else remember a video the UFC put out on their website around the time Rampage signed with the UFC? Him and Rogan riding around like a "day in the life" and Rogan tapped him with a RNC when they where rolling. Rampage meets someone from Wu Tang while he's driving around in his truck. I can't find the video anywhere

would love to see that video.
2/20/12 1:52 PM
Porkchop

jjj2121 - 
1 pt Fuhrer 1 pt Pope - 

I spoke with Joe about this very subject, his favorite fighters are Bob Sapp and Scott Blevins.

This the Ultimate Let's Get Beat Up Championships....

Gotta say, I lean towards the guys who do the ass whooping rather than the guys who take it..... but that's just me and my silly opinion...
2/20/12 1:58 PM
Buddhasport_Matt_Bull
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Rogan -  Honestly, if I have a "bias" it's for aggressive strikers.  Wanderlei is probably my all time favorite fighter.  Anderson is right up there as well.  I know both guys have great jiu jitsu, but there's something incredibly exciting about watching a ferocious striker.

When I say that wrestling is the most important aspect of MMA it's just my objective assesment.  Of course I love beautiful and technical submission as well, but for the sheer "OH SHIT" factor, nothing comes close to KOs.

^^^ This exactly what I was going to say. I believe that Joe does have a bias but I also firmly believe in his line of work it would be next to impossible not too. I love Joe's work he is leaps and bounds ahead of anyone in the same field. Once again I agree with Joe anytime I've seen the bias surface it was normally during a striker match up the one that comes to mind is Shogun vs Machida 1 
2/20/12 1:59 PM
SMACDADDY
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Rogan -  I think he'd beat the shit out of me too.  :)

Nah. One good right leg spin back kick counter to the liver when he throws a jab and it's a done deal. Follow up with a lead left leg axe kick and and an overhand right and you've got yourself a highlight reel KO Joe.

(Lowers into horsestance and chants TAE KWON DO while punching low, middle, high)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.