UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Tell me about Tenri in Los Angeles.

3/24/12 6:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Seong gyeong
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://la-tenrijudo.com/

Heard a lot about it; seems like a great dojo, just a bit of a drive from my house now.

Anybody have experience training there?
3/25/12 2:15 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

better want to do a lot of randori... as far as the LA region, that is the best randori you are going to get. not much of a teaching place for adults when i have been there. but, you can get into a nice brawl.

great instruction for teens and kids in the early classes.
3/25/12 2:31 PM
Seong gyeong
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the insight, I'll check it out and see if I can handle all that randori.
3/25/12 6:43 PM
CyborgRoyce
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great club, most will tell you it's the best in the Los Angeles area. Kron Gracie trains there on Fridays too. If I lived closer I would definitely go there.

It's a sketchy area though, Judoka have known to be mugged walking the short distance between their car and the club. Get there early and park inside the facility's parking lot and you'll be fine.
3/25/12 8:05 PM
judoblackbelt
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was at the Nationals in 2009 (San Diego) when Tokuzo Takahashi (instructor) thru Daniel Mccormick with a beautiful uchimata ippon. He took 1st place and beat some tuff guys. I asked where Takahashi was from and his Japanese following said Tenri. Watching him I could tell he was a high level player, higher than our US players.
3/26/12 2:11 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He won the All-Japan College Championships... yes, he was/is a very good judoka.. he is a dad now, has 4 or 5 kids...
3/26/12 11:39 AM
owchimata
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Somewhere in my collection I think I have Takahashi on tape doing a beautiful uchimata for ippon at the NY Open. He got 3rd that day but no matter, he's got style...

3/27/12 1:20 AM
Seong gyeong

CyborgRoyce - Great club, most will tell you it's the best in the Los Angeles area. Kron Gracie trains there on Fridays too. If I lived closer I would definitely go there.

It's a sketchy area though, Judoka have known to be mugged walking the short distance between their car and the club. Get there early and park inside the facility's parking lot and you'll be fine.

Damn, this actually confirms two things I've already heard: sketchy location and Kron Gracie trains there.

I'll be on "heightened-alert" if I stop by.

Thanks for all the comments, guys. Probably takes an hour for me to get there, but this ain't like Korea where you can train 5-6 days a week at the same school. I'll check it out soon and try to post a thread about it.
3/27/12 2:51 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think they closed in the 1980's after the Gracies embarrassed them. RIP.
3/27/12 5:43 PM
Thomas Mitchell

Got to train there a few times in ~2007. Good facilities/mats, good amount of students and mix of weight classes, and as Josh said, solid amount of randori. They were friendly.

T
3/28/12 9:15 PM
CyborgRoyce
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

By the way, don't underestimate that 15 year old Asian boy there. He may be comical but he DESTROYED me LOL
3/30/12 1:28 AM
JoshuaResnick

CR... dont blame a 15 year old asian kid for you sucking...
3/30/12 6:38 AM
easyrhino
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tenri is a fun place.
when i visit LA i always drop in.
its a good chance to do randori with national level players.

i have to say though, its dangerous as heck.
some of the adults are not that skilled in judo, but big and strong and go very hard. i havent had any injuries there, but more than a few close calls.

which 15 year old asian you talking about?

3/30/12 11:49 AM
raleigh

you guys are tempting me to make the drive!
4/1/12 10:18 AM
JoshuaResnick

ER.. yea, there are a few "adult green belt" type fellas at Tenri too... that is why you just give them the good ole "grip fighting lesson" and do nothing but de ashi barai for 5 minutes. lol. they scare even me.. but they are at any dojo, not just Tenri.

Raleigh... the drive is well worth it on a Friday night and i think right now on Wednesdays the NANKA team is training there too.
4/1/12 11:59 AM
nowaydo
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"... that is why you just give them the good ole "grip fighting lesson" and do nothing but de ashi barai for 5 minutes."

Josh, that's good advice for a lot of us. I'm twice the age of a lot of the Judokas and some are high on aggression and short on skill. Even though my age and body is riddled with injuries, I still love randori. That was great advice. thanks!
4/6/12 11:36 AM
owchimata

Takahashi vs a 10 man line-up at a tournament in California. He goes for almost 20 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGm01H6AexI

4/6/12 2:29 PM
CyborgRoyce

raleigh - you guys are tempting me to make the drive!

Me too, might go in next week!

Not sure who the kid was but he was a very nice kid, short and stocky. And yes Josh, I do suck.
4/6/12 2:48 PM
nowaydo
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the video. That was awesome.
4/6/12 4:58 PM
judoblackbelt
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What was that submission with the opoponent face down
? A form of ude garame with one hand?
4/9/12 5:48 AM
judoblackbelt

BZ- you are right, I missed the legs around the right elbow. YOu couldn't really see it but it was the only possibility. And the opponent was shaking his right arm after. thanks,
4/10/12 8:27 AM
Outkaster
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

owchimata - Takahashi vs a 10 man line-up at a tournament in California. He goes for almost 20 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGm01H6AexI

That was pretty cool. Some of those black belts looked suprised at the line up.
4/10/12 6:40 PM
JoshuaResnick

I went last week Wednesday and will be going again tomorrow night. Carpooled with a few guys from Bunasawa's club in Costa Mesa. I think I will be going every Wednesday night from here on out. Or, at least I will try to make it a regular thing on Wednesdays.
4/14/12 3:49 PM
RandomMan
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is this a good school to go to if you don't know Judo? I wonder how rough they are on newbies....

I also wonder how much practice you get in just getting from your car to the dojo. I know that neighborhood, lol...
4/15/12 6:45 PM
Seong gyeong

Just a heads up, I know that Tenri is having its 50th anniversary tournament in September. On the same weekend I believe they are having a seminar with Takamasa Anai. Definitely will check that out.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.