UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Should we have another UGGP?

10/4/12 2:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wizgub
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hankatron -
Wizgub -
stayrad -
stayrad -
hankatron -
stayrad - Don't know how big Matt horning is but pay for a flight from Scotland and il fight him Phone Post
Where in Scotland do you train? Phone Post
I haven't trained in over a ear was out for ten months waiting for bak surgery and had it in April so I'm back lifting and running getting my fitness back and flexibility before training Phone Post
But it's fusion mma. Doubt il go back n train mma tbh prob just go back to focus on the ground in Elgin for bjj Phone Post
I train in scotland as well griphouse in glasgow basicly muay thai with basic wrestling is all i have would be interested in this uggp thing would prob lose but enjoy fighting anyway

6ft 3" around 240 pounds Phone Post
That's cool.

Wizgub, I have a personal vendetta against griphouse after I lost to a guy from there at the vision no-gi comp in September in the final of our division. Phone Post
Who you lose against? You got a vendetta just because you lost or was it under the circumstances of the loss? Phone Post
10/4/12 2:27 PM
hankatron
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wizgub -
hankatron -
Wizgub -
stayrad -
stayrad -
hankatron -
stayrad - Don't know how big Matt horning is but pay for a flight from Scotland and il fight him Phone Post
Where in Scotland do you train? Phone Post
I haven't trained in over a ear was out for ten months waiting for bak surgery and had it in April so I'm back lifting and running getting my fitness back and flexibility before training Phone Post
But it's fusion mma. Doubt il go back n train mma tbh prob just go back to focus on the ground in Elgin for bjj Phone Post
I train in scotland as well griphouse in glasgow basicly muay thai with basic wrestling is all i have would be interested in this uggp thing would prob lose but enjoy fighting anyway

6ft 3" around 240 pounds Phone Post
That's cool.

Wizgub, I have a personal vendetta against griphouse after I lost to a guy from there at the vision no-gi comp in September in the final of our division. Phone Post
Who you lose against? You got a vendetta just because you lost or was it under the circumstances of the loss? Phone Post
Hehe don't worry it's not a real vendetta, he beat me fair and square. I just know I could have done so much better. Don't know his name, but it was the u79kg beginner category. Looked like he belonged in the military or something haha. The guy I beat in the first round came and talked to me after actually and was super nice as well. Phone Post
10/4/12 2:28 PM
hankatron
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Should have said, the other guy was from griphouse too. Phone Post
10/4/12 2:52 PM
Grendelplata
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
10/4/12 2:52 PM
YHTOMIT2001
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd fight Matt Horning. We're in the same weight class and I've got enough fights to where it would be a legit matchup(on paper lol)

10/4/12 3:12 PM
NINJAe973
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

26, 5'11", could probably make 170 if not 155.. little to no experience but i am so down.. especially if u gimme calo in the first round hahahaha i need restitution for all the times i started reading a thread thinking i was being informed off some new scandalous shit before seeing hes the op.. im taking that mask home with me lol Phone Post
10/4/12 5:29 PM
UGCTT_ATLien
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can someone post vids from the previous UGGP's? I think that will help in motivating guys to step up.
10/4/12 5:52 PM
SonofJockstrap
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, I'll put my information down so that it's at least there if I pass a physical. 24 years old, 5'7, walk at 185, will cut to 170 or 155 if needed or fight at natural weight. Practiced various martial arts until high school, go to open gym once a week to spar with some of the local fighters but no formal training right now.
10/4/12 5:58 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1788 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Come at me bro. Gi? Don't touch the face? Phone Post
10/4/12 7:05 PM
supercan
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi.
10/4/12 8:24 PM
Doc T
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
10/4/12 9:22 PM
Ceelo
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it was on the west coast I'd be down. I was suppose to fight with the ug vs bullshido but it fell through Phone Post
10/4/12 9:41 PM
OhNo
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This would start almost exactly 6 months from my acl surgery which is when i can officially start training again. If it got pushed back at all for any reason I would love to kick another UGer's ass for entertainment purposes.

5"7 145 2-2 pro from utah. been training off and on for 3 years. first fight was 5 years ago but it was fresh off the couch at 185 and it killed my motivation to even try training for a while.
10/4/12 9:59 PM
MountainMedic
572 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe post a link to the original thread in here (maybe edit it into the op)? Just so the kids can see how all this played out the first time. A genuinely organic process born from one man, wanting to fight, just once. I remember when dreamer posted "i'll fight you"....
It wasn't dickish, it wasn't macho bullshit, it was another UGer who also wanted to answer the same questions about himself.

Those were heady times my frens! It was cool to see it unfold before eyes.

And zeptuck STILL owes me for the processing fee on his goddamn bus ticket! Phone Post
10/5/12 12:53 AM
LoganClark
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leave me links and I will continue to modify the OP.

Supercan, preach, please.
10/5/12 1:02 AM
LoganClark
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NINJA, where are you located?

Wizgub, are you going to take all our sponsor money to come from Glasgow?
10/5/12 1:06 AM
ShanTheMan
787 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You guys should do it for sure! I won't participate because I am wayyyyy out of shape and live in California, but it is a great idea to bring it back
10/5/12 1:21 AM
DanteHec
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So far away from Texas! Phone Post
10/5/12 8:28 AM
supercan
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FRAT...

Within my heart, the love affair began after visiting Thailand in 1997 and living in Brazil in 2001.  Neither reason for being there had anything to do with fighting, but I was exposed to Muay Thai in Thailand, and BJJ & MMA in Brazil.  I fell for it.  Head over heals.  Soon, all I wanted to watch on t.v. and the internet was "fighting".  Boxing, Kickboxing, and MMA.  At the time I was a minister, so there was conflict withing myself, with my wife, and others about the morality of the arts and sports I had fallen for.  Yet, I couldn't stop.  I organized watch parties and joined a little internet forum at mma.tv called The Underground Forum.  It was a place where I could finally discuss my thoughts and opinions about everything I was consuming.  

By 2006, I was taking boxing gloves to work, and sparring with anyone that wanted to in the parking lot after hours.  Foolish?  Yes.  Insanely gratifying?  Hell yeah!  The only problem?  I wanted more.  However, my wife really put her foot down after my first black eye and I was "forced" to remain just a fan.  Until February 4th, 2007.  That's the day my wife left me and the first thing I thought when I realized what was happening was, "I have to fight.  Once."

By March I had joined a gym.  About 3 months after my entire life melted down into an indiscernible disaster, fighting was the way that I had determined I needed to try and sift through the rubble.  It was a journey, and I felt, the only way to come to terms with myself as a man, what had happened to my life, and whether or not I was worthy to even continue ingesting air into my lungs as a human being.
On April 23rd, 2007, 111 days after my world collapsed, I posted this -  http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/?go=forum.versionCheck&thread=1035928&forum=1

The rest is history.  

Fast forward to today, and what started out as a love affair has turned into a full-time relationship.  My dream to fight once, turned into a dream to make my living by being involved with the arts of BJJ,  Muay Thai, MMA, and also by coaching, training, and teaching others the beauty of the ways that I have discovered; ways that not only help you achieve something physically, but take you to a place where you must find the most important thing you'll ever discover in your life - yourself.  

Do you love UFC?  Go deeper.  Do you love MMA?  Go deeper.  Do you love Muay Thai?  Or BJJ?  Or Boxing?  Or wrestling?  Or any other physical combat art/sport that forces you to push yourself to places you've never been?  If you truly love something, you're willing to fight for it, right?  Then fight.  Get up, and fight. 

And, oh yeah...this is what can come of something that is just a little spark in your heart.  What seems like a simple, yet unobtainable dream can turn in to this - www.getabsolutefit.com.  Do you recognize opportunity?  Someone with a green name, whom you don't even know, is offering you an opportunity.  Are you gonna seize the opportunity?  Do you want to be a fucking fighter?

10/5/12 9:04 AM
LoganClark

DanteHec -  So far away from Texas! Phone Post

I've driven to Austin twice in a month before, you can do it!
10/5/12 3:33 PM
DreamerMMA
533 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, you guys are going for it again, fan-fucking-tastic.

I see a few people are asking for my input so here goes.

First of all, as for the number, this would be UGGP 6.  UGGP 1 started with Supercans dream to fight and ended with me stuffed into the side of the cage losing by TKO with referee Greg Franklin stopping the fight.

It started with Supercans downward spiral, several empty bottles of whiskey and 6 dead hookers later he finally snapped and decided he wanted a real fight and created his fateful thread.

My name at the time was Dreamer420 and I was more known for my dads giant pot plants than my involvement in MMA, which was zilch.

Like Supercan my own life was a mess and I was suffering.  My relationship with my fiancee was falling apart, I hated my job, I was 2000 miles from home and nothing really seemed to matter much until this small opportunity came my way in the form of Supercans thread.

I responded to his desire to fight but in truth I was half joking because I wasn't sure if he was serious, he immediately jumped on my response agreeing to come all the way to Cincinatti, OH to make the fight happen.

Now for the problems of which there were many.  First of all, there was nearly 20 pounds difference between us so we agreed to a catchweight of 190 with me walking around naturally at about 185 and Supercan around 210 I believe?

Then where do we fight?  A gym?  backyard?  Alley with metal thang?

Nah, the UG came alive at our idea and supported us like you wouldn't believe starting with Vengence, an amateur fighter local to Cincinnati fighting for Promoter and Manager Monte Cox.  He sold the idea to Monte and Monte popped on to the UG (Promoter) and offered us a spot on one of his upcoming ICE cards.

Well, we needed time to train and decided to give ourselves about 6 months to get ready for each other.  I had a bit of TMA training and some wrestling, plus 4 years in the army so to be fair I felt Supercan needed some formal training before we clashed so after talking it out between the 3 of us we agreed on September giving us the time we desired.

The idea blew up from there as people from all over began tossing their names and stats into the mix, hoping to join us and find a first time fight for themselves against another opponent with little to no formal training.

By the time all the pieces fell into place we had 8 fighters matched up and rearing to go all though one eventually pulled the famous "Xeptuck" 2 days out, leaving one of our members hanging, forcing him to fight a larger, more experienced local instead, thanks faggot.

Anyway, as the process rolled on sponsors began showing interest starting with the owner of Gladiator Mouthguards sponsoring several of the fighters with mouthguards and helping cover some of their travel/lodging expenses.  Soon several of the MMA media sites got wind of this event and word began to spread even being mentioned in an interview with Kirik in Fight magazine if I remember correctly.

cont.....

10/5/12 3:48 PM
DreamerMMA
533 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll try to shorten this history lesson a bit here.

The 7 of us showed up and had some great fights then we all went out and got hammered together at the local bars managing to shake off a drunken ex marine and getting kicked out of a bar parking lot for roughhousing we rolled on through the night until taxis took our drunken, beaten bodies home.

One of the fights ended with some controversy as the ref stopped the fight prematurely so the guys had a rematch a few months later that we dubbed UGGP 1.5.

Later, a promoter in the midwest put together another UGGP, UGGP 2.

For some odd reason I decided I could put one of these events together so after making a thread on here and Sherdog I set up a UGGP event between the UG and Sherdogs members which brought the attention of Las Vegas Promoters Jeff and Barry Mayer from TUFF-N-UFF who offered us their promotion to do this on, from there the sponsors came like Rupture Clothing, Gladiator Mouthguards, Defense Soap, Tapout, Tapout Live, Garv and BJ Penns mother even helped out with this event and the following event at the same venue but vs Bullshido this time.

We fought and defeated Sherdog, Bullshido and each other, we are still the undefeated champions of our own internet based fight club.

That's enough of the history, I'll find links to the original threads if anyone wants to read all that, now lets get to the point and the hopeful outcome.

The point of these events is mainly for men or women who want to fight but don't live and breathe training to have a chance to step up without having to take on some animal in the cage.  A chance to fight someone on their level and at least stand a chance.

Originally it was guys with no fights but in later events there were some guys with a few fights under their belts but that was unusual.

What made this work is that the opponents chose each other based on size, training experience, etc so they had an opponent they felt comfortable with.  Once all that was worked out it was just a matter of training, trying not to get injured, waiting then finally, finally fighting.

I won't lie, it can be dangerous, we've had guys get knocked out and guys get hurt.  The worst injuries I recall was a broken ankle in the UGGP 2 and a badly broken nose in the UG vs Bullshido event but that was a UGer or Sherdogger taking on a local instead of one of our members so he got mashed unfortunately.

That is one thing to watch out for.  If you can't find an opponent from the UG be careful about accepting fights offered by the promoter to face a local unless you are really fucking ready for that kind of fight because most of those guys are dead serious fighters and will crush the average joe looking to do a UGGP event.  Then again, our guys have done pretty well in those situations at times.

10/5/12 3:49 PM
NoGi bear
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Nader cuts to 145 I'll mess that fat ass up with some GingeJitsu Phone Post
10/5/12 3:58 PM
DreamerMMA

The last 2 events were in the summer of 2009 so it's been a while and a lot of the new folks around here probably have no clue what this is.

This is your chance to stop laying in bed wondering if you have the balls to step in the cage against another formally and equally trained opponent who is your equal in size as well.

These events are totally grassroots and the sponsors I managed to get I contacted personally or they saw the thread and offered to help.

We were even talking about doing a UGGP PRO event since many green namers have expressed interest in doing this.

The problem for me is that I'm not a promoter, I'm not anyone really.  I live and work at National Parks and ski resorts as a bartender or server for the most part and just don't have the time or resources to do these events like I used to due to the unstable nature of my lifestyle.

However, these events opened a lot of doors for me and through them I've gotten to work with Rupture Clothing, I've done radio interviews, written articles, refereed for the ADCC's, worked with NAGA and even gotten the honor of helping moderate these forums.

Like Supercan, I was inspired by these events to pursue my love and passion for MMA and I still do what I can having just worked a NAGA event a couple of weeks ago in SanFrancisco.

For the rest of you though, men and women alike, it's scary, it's like standing on a cliff and actually looking before you leap into the unknown depths below, like a rollercoaster with a so so safety record.

It will change your life though and how you look at yourselves not to mention how others see you, it's like fight club but it's real life and minus some crazy fuck punching himself in the face.  Minus the anarchism and stupid antics, we are all about our love for this sport and our desire to test ourselves as warriors and human beings.

I hope you all consider this and if you can reasonably do it then do it, but if you know you can't then don't do it or you'll face a fate worse than Xeptuck who is probably still dragging his filthy carcass around these forums somewhere under a new SN.

So, who wants to be a fucking fighter?

10/5/12 4:03 PM
DreamerMMA

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-5tEehT5AKE/TP3zzBsOqqI/AAAAAAAAAco/gH57F-EGgkw/s1600/deb.png

Here's the fight between Myself, Dan "Dreamer420" Baker and Bryan "Supercan" Fyock.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.