UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> can you learn to box from group class?

10/16/12 12:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ultimatestreetfighter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

always wanted to learn the sweet science. a few MMA gyms near me offer boxing classes. my question is whether it is possible to learn boxing in a group class setting like it is for BJJ.

i always imagined that to box, you work with a trainer, practice on your own, and the spar a lot. it never really seemed, to me, that you could learn good boxing in a group class. am i teh wrong?
10/16/12 5:21 PM
Chappie
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If the trainer plays an active role in the class you should be able to at least pick up the basics. Obviously if you are wanting to compete, however, sparring is an essential part of the process.
10/18/12 2:35 PM
fearOfABlackPlanet

You need to watch film also.
10/19/12 9:32 PM
OneScoup

I love MMA, am at an MMA school right now. But it's extremely unlikely you'll really learn the "sweet science" at an MMA school.

Is there a real boxing trainer at this school, or is the owner/Muay Thai/BJJ training teaching it? How many amateur/pro boxers are there? How many sanctioned? How often are they fighting? I'd be asking these questions, because I'd be extremely skeptical.
10/20/12 11:03 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It depends on the quality of the trainer and the other members of the group. You could have an unskilled guy 'teaching' and a bunch of dudes flailing away. On the other hand, you could have a former pro leading a class full of competitive boxers.
10/23/12 2:02 PM
Spartan79

Yeap! As long as your still doing partner work and sparing. Phone Post
10/24/12 7:49 AM
Big Shot

Bro my best advice as far as boxing goes and speaking from experience. Only way to truly learn the science is to get in the ring and spar as much as you can with trainer in corner. You can learn all the basics and think you have a solid foundation until you get in the ring. Once you start getting hit, it changes your game plan drastically. Unlike a speed bag or heavy bag, your target now will hit back. My opinion is to get as much sparing in as you can, only way to learn how to fight, is to fight. Sparing is a great source there of. Phone Post
11/2/12 11:14 PM
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I personally think it is best to learn how to box via one on one with an experience coach.

Also in regards to sparring, while it is very true that getting hit changes your game plan drastically, there is something more important at stake and that is one's temperament and tolerance in regards to taking punches.

Boxing is not meant for everyone and not everyone will be good at boxing regardless of who they train with or under or how frequently. Again the key comes down to how well you tolerate being punched and attacked with punches.

Unfortunately some people can never get use to being punched even though they may have excellent trainers/coaches and training partners.
11/4/12 9:10 PM
pharochuck
273 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
Big Shot - Bro my best advice as far as boxing goes and speaking from experience. Only way to truly learn the science is to get in the ring and spar as much as you can with trainer in corner. You can learn all the basics and think you have a solid foundation until you get in the ring. Once you start getting hit, it changes your game plan drastically. Unlike a speed bag or heavy bag, your target now will hit back. My opinion is to get as much sparing in as you can, only way to learn how to fight, is to fight. Sparing is a great source there of. Phone Post
I respectfully disagree. Do not spar until you have mastered the basics. Sparring as a beginner only reinforces bad habits Phone Post
11/6/12 5:37 AM
grapplingwithzen

It depends, but if the trainer is good and the class not too big, I think you can learn the basics.

I think it is a mistake to spar to soon. A lot of old school trainers just like to throw people in the ring, but I don't think that is a good approach.

A good trainer can really drill your attack and defense using the focus mitts. Also do a lot of shadow boxing.

Note also that a lot of boxing trainers aren't interested in people who just want to learn as a hobby or even for MMA. Sucks but it is true.

Check out some DVDs as well such as
- Freddie Roach
- Jeff Mayweather
- Kenny Weldon
- Steve Maze
(IMHO these are some of the best boxing instructionals. They will give you some valuable pointers)
11/10/12 9:15 AM
HULC
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every boxing gym i've ever been to was a "group class". One on one training is something that only really happens when you get to a competitive level.

You'll be taught the basics, given some drills to do, and introduced to partner drills. Once you start getting a bit better you'll get time on the mitts with one of the trainers, and then later still you'll start sparring and getting direct feedback from them.

The vast majority of people who start boxing walk away very quickly. Getting punched in the face is something that many people can't get over.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.