UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> What's Your Preferred Cigar Size?

11/4/12 11:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
joesonshuevos
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Corona 5 ½ to 6 42 to 45
Panatela 5 ½ to 6 ½ 34 to 38
Lonsdale 6 to 6 ½ 42 to 44
Churchill 6 ½ to 7 46 to 48
Robusto 4 ½ to 5 48 to 50
Toro 6 to 6 ½ 48 to 50
Presidente 7 to 8 ½ 52 to 60
Gigante > 6 > 60
Torpedo
(Cone Shaped Head)
5 ½ to 6 ½ 46 to 52

11/4/12 11:04 AM
joesonshuevos
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I personally started with the robustos and quickly switched to double coronas. I then got on the 6x60 bandwagon, but lately have been smoking primarily toros, and lanceros if I have less than an hour. The exception being Cubans, which I generally gravitate towards the belicoso.

11/4/12 12:12 PM
slo ko
770 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

torpedo for me, but im afraid a lot of that is due to the larger sizes pricing themselves out

11/4/12 12:25 PM
joesonshuevos

And the rare culebra. That 1 just feels goofy while smoking it. But looks pretty cool.

11/4/12 2:28 PM
meltum
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Started off Robusto but lately been smoking Corona due to time. Been buying alot of Churchills for the ones i enjoy just to see the difference in flavor.

11/4/12 7:14 PM
rmenergy
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Rocky Patel 15th Anniversary Torpedo is a favorite of mine. Off the top of my head 6.5-7" & mid 50's ring gauge(box pressed).
11/4/12 7:52 PM
joesonshuevos

Ahhh, dammit. Can't we have 1 fuckin thread without a Rocky reference? You bastards are out of control! :)

11/4/12 8:15 PM
meltum

joesonshuevos - 

Ahhh, dammit. Can't we have 1 fuckin thread without a Rocky reference? You bastards are out of control! :)

Yeah, used to smoke a ton of RP when i first started as the local shop carried it and hardly brought anything else in. Since i moved i havent touched an RP yet, and i have NO plans to either. Dont get me wrong, great smoke, but......

11/4/12 9:23 PM
Master Bedar

meltum - 
joesonshuevos - 

Yeah, used to smoke a ton of RP when i first started as the local shop carried it and hardly brought anything else in. Since i moved i havent touched an RP yet, and i have NO plans to either. Dont get me wrong, great smoke, but......

but...??
11/4/12 10:05 PM
meltum

But my humi's filled with IMO better cigs than RPs. Phone Post
11/4/12 11:28 PM
Master Bedar

meltum - But my humi's filled with IMO better cigs than RPs. Phone Post
I'm just getting in to cigars just wanted your opinion. Good to know!

What are a couple you prefer to RPs? Phone Post
11/5/12 9:44 AM
meltum

Master Bedar - 
meltum - But my humi's filled with IMO better cigs than RPs. Phone Post
I'm just getting in to cigars just wanted your opinion. Good to know!

What are a couple you prefer to RPs? Phone Post

In that case, welcome and enjoy reading.

I mainly order from two different sites Cigarinternational.com (CI) and Cigarbid.com. Quick tip if you care about shipping. When ordering from CI, if you're purchasing items NOT on the dailydeal, add it to your cart and wait until you see something on the daily deal you like then make the purchase....free shipping on your entire order. Cigarbid has 2 shipping meathods, 1. Ship daily, if you win something, they'll ship if the next day. 2. Ship weekly, Everything you win from Thursday to  Wednesday will be compiled into 1 shipment. See here for more details. http://www.cigarbid.com/Main/Help/ShippingPolicy

Some of my favorites are listed below. (not being an attention whore) I'm currently deployed so some of the Sticks listed below, i've only smoked 1 or 2, and it was a while ago so my feedback may be limited. If i think of more i'll update.

Man O War Puro Authentico - Great cigar if you have less than an hour. Size 5x42, Cheapest (39.99 for 10) I've found was Cigarinternational.com (CI) when it's on the dailydeal or Jam. Or if you can find it on Cigarbid.com you may be able to get it for less than $39. I have about 50 at home and i can't wait to burn them ALL.

Man O War Armada - PRICEY stick but AWESOME SMOKE.

Alec Bradley Tempus - Before the Puro, this was my fav. Great burn quality and taste. Varies in size. Cant find it in my order history but it may be the same $39.99 for 10 on the CI dd and you may be able to find it cheaper on CB.

San Cristobal - Great stick, smoked a bunch of these a while back then stopped. Smoked it again about 3 months ago, F-IN HORRIBLE, had to put it out, tasted wet, heavy, and was not feeling it. Then smoked it again this past thursday night, WONDERFUL cigar! Dont know what happened with the first stick, both came in the same 5-pack.

Illusione Epernay- Great stick as well, only smoked 1 though so not much info.

E.P. Carrillo - Same with this one, only smoked 1 so not much info other than great.

Ave Maria Ark of the Covenant - Great Smoke. Same, only had 1. Was told any of the Ave Marias are good.

LFD Air Bender - At one point, i loved these. then started smoking other stuff. Great smoke.

La Duena No 9 - Friend talked this up, seen it on CI Jam 5 for 25. If i ever see this stick on the Jam again, i'm definately buying more than 1. Size 4.7" x 48 takes me about an hour, hour 15 to burn. GREAT SMOKE.

La Herencia CORE - the only line in La Herencia i'll smoke, great burn, great taste.

Man O War Side Project: Little Devils - Was told by a friend, these are a bigger version (5.5 x 44) of the Puro Authentico (taste wise). Picked up a box of 10, had me wife send out 3 to me. So far smoked 2 and both SUCKED!!! First one, draw was horrible. Smoked it about 2 inches, was about to put it out and ended up pulling out about a 2 inch leaf stem from it. Draw improved but stick started to fall apart after that. Second one, cut it and i heard the wrapper crack. Draw was a little hard but tasted GREAT, then air started coming out the sides. Tried reviving it by cutting below the crack, but it didnt help it. Ended up putting that one out too.

AF Hemingways - If you're looking for consistancy, this is where it's at. every cig i've tried tastes the same, great burn also.

L'Atelier Surrogates Skull Breaker and Tatuaje Mummy's, just bought these and they're waiting at home for me. Can't wait to smoke it.

Friend once told me that a good stick is one that taste good and you can afford.

11/5/12 9:52 AM
meltum

Oh yes, and if someone asks you how do you like a cigar, dont be affraid to tell them the truth. If i gave someone a stick and they told me it sucked i'd know not to give them the same one or similar to that one next time. The other day, this dude gave me a Felipe Gregorio Fusion; long story short, he asked and i told him it tasted like a brown paper bag filled with leaves. He appriciated my honesty and i felt good about telling him the truth. 

11/6/12 10:10 PM
rmenergy
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow. Didn't know there was a "thing" about RP. What is it?

I don't spend much time on the Cigar forum, just go to my local cigar guy and buy sticks to try. The RP 15th Anniversary torpedo happened to be one of my favorites and of a slightly "in between" size. I will say that the Torpedo seems to be more consistent than the Robusto and the taste is different as well.I'm not too impressed with the RP Edge Lite or some other offerings, but I do enjoy the 15th & the Decade.

Some other favorites are Pardon 1964 & Don Melo(they are dark Robusto's don't know any more. Former coworker brought me a box back from Hondourus and they are great).

What is the reason for the RP hate? I am curious.

11/7/12 2:15 PM
meltum

rmenergy - Wow. Didn't know there was a "thing" about RP. What is it?

I don't spend much time on the Cigar forum, just go to my local cigar guy and buy sticks to try. The RP 15th Anniversary torpedo happened to be one of my favorites and of a slightly "in between" size. I will say that the Torpedo seems to be more consistent than the Robusto and the taste is different as well.I'm not too impressed with the RP Edge Lite or some other offerings, but I do enjoy the 15th & the Decade.

Some other favorites are Pardon 1964 & Don Melo(they are dark Robusto's don't know any more. Former coworker brought me a box back from Hondourus and they are great).

What is the reason for the RP hate? I am curious.

You can never go wrong with a Padron.

Haven't looked around the other threads as well but if you look at the "tell me about cigars" thread on the OG, RPs were mentioned quite a bit. Not too sure if thats what joesonshuevos was refering too though.

11/15/12 11:03 AM
joesonshuevos

What I was referring to is actually the opposite of hate. People love those things, so I give them crap about repeatedly posting about it on every thread. I am just as guilty, as I constantly sing the praises of a few cigars. Like it was said, smoke what you like and screw everyone else. I know guys that LOVE the Perdomo Connecticut. It's like smoking air, but these guys buy them by the boxes.

Somebody had something about smoking a paper bag. I like the Ambos Mundos. It was around #10 for the best cigars of 2011 I believe. I have 5 buddies who love them and 2 that would throw them at you if you offered 1 to them.

To revert back to the RP thing kinda harkens me back to 1995 or so during the boom. I was managing a cigar store and people would come in to buy Fuentes and Fuentes only. Didn't matter what. Curlyhead (their 2nds) to a Hemingway. If it said Fuente they would buy it and if we were out, they left. But I'm just kidding about the RP thing. They are nowhere near what those guys were like.

11/15/12 10:51 PM
rmenergy

Gotchya. Hell I didn't even know they were that popular. Stumbled across the 15th by a recommendation & loved it.

At least I'm not one of "those guys" as my humidor has around 70 sticks but maybe only three 15ths in the lot. I like variety but do go back to "old faithful" regularly.

11/18/12 3:52 AM
legitballer

Robustos and corona gordas for me! For the most part, the wrapper/filler ratio in those sizes are perfect for me.
11/28/12 2:10 AM
cheesesteak
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lonsdale all day
11/29/12 8:21 PM
Tidbits

Robustos
12/6/12 3:27 AM
occupy_DDF
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tidbits - Robustos

+1
3/1/13 9:18 AM
HiHu

I like churchills.. not that short and kind of thick at the same time.. usually it takes me 45m/1 hour to smoke them
3/1/13 10:53 AM
Tidbits

I like Robustos because they to me are the perfect balance between time spent smoking and flavor. Also I am a Rocky man too, although I did pick up some Arturo Reyes's that are very nice and La Perla's are damn good too.
8/23/13 12:16 AM
ironbear
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AVO's
10/16/13 9:27 PM
NoisyNinja

Depending on time, robusto or 6x60. And Ashton esg is awesome or the vsg if you like something a little stronger. Order most of my stuff from www.famous-smoke.com, they got some good deals on there cigar monster.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.