UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Is Joe Lauzon MMA's biggest risk taker?

11/6/12 11:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mmanizzle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I AM A MOFO - Not to mention fights heavy handed and dangerous fighters with little regard for his own chin. Lets guys like Leben tee off freely (not always with good results, lol) as he goes for a plum, etc..

Talking about the 2nd CC fight, Wandy had his eye practically crushed and couldn't see any of his left strikes coming. Didn't go all defensive and try to survive, got pissed and charged like an animal. Said he knew he was gonna get KOd by a kick but was angry and just wanted to punch CC in the face before it happened.

Wandy doesn't just risk WINS, or giving up positions, he risks his own fucking brain and health just to punch motherfuckers in the mouth.

I'm a huge Lauzon fan, but he doesn't compare to that kinda stuff, imo. Going for a choke when you have the back, or going for the finish when someone is hurt is not "risk taking" (though it is admirable), it's just NOT stalling and trying to win on points. He could def. Go on the list, but..

Unless Lauzon does something like take a fight with Nick Diaz @ 170 and spend most of the time trying to outbox him, he (and likely nobody else) doesn't belong ahead of the likes of Wandy.

Seriously, whoever made that list deserves a Pride style soccer kick from Wand.

I just saw Leben last week walk into Blazin Steaks on Atkinson for lunch in Honolulu. Fool came in with his shirt off, colored tats, hat on crooked with his hot girlfriend. Dude is lookin' shredded and ready to come back and punch someone...
11/6/12 11:18 PM
I AM A MOFO
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mmanizzle - 
I AM A MOFO - How many MMA fighters would take a fight against one of K1's best heavyweights, while NOT a HW themselves (small LHW at best), under SPECIAL rules that basically nullified grappling or winning by ANY method other than KO?

Or how many big name MMA fighters would accept a fight against another K1 stand out (while champ, no less) who had 100 lbs on them, on just a couple weeks notice, and come out of the gate with an aggressive barrage of punches?

Be small at LHW and enter open weight tournaments that include 3 of the top 4 heavyweights in the world (also while champ)?

Sit back stage hooked up to an IV with a 103 degree fever only to pull that shit out and go defend his title against someone like Hendo (who at the time, was called a "can" and "gimme" matchup to get this guy over with US fans)?

Only one that I know of. His name is Wandy, and he shits on your list.

^^ one of the exciting things about combat sports is to see guys like Overeem dominate (steroids or not) in K-1 and MMA. Not sure he could've done it without roids, but he's doing it and will continue to do it.

Although Frank Shamrock is on Dana's shit list, this is the philosophy that he used to try and preach back in the day, is to bring up boxers, kickboxers, and BJJ guys and have them compete in all disciplines at the highest levels.

What's impressive is there are guys like Nam Phan that do have professional boxing experience who is also a BJJ black belt. Guys don't stay in it as long because you have to be Pacquiao/Mayweather in order to make some money. MMA is where the money is right now.

Back to the thread - the type of buzz that Bones Jones gets now is what Fedor had in Pride. Exciting to watch.

And yes, Lauzon does take big risks and is one of the most technical guys out there. He doesn't seem to be a natural fighter and punk kid who had street fights, but someone who just worked hard as fuck to work on his skills, practiced and dedicated his life to the sport. Props to Lauzon.

Reem's situation wasn't comparable to what Wand did though. Reem is a massive guy who trained and dedicated himself to K1, and mostly fought much smaller guys.

That's not the same as a prominent MMA fighter taking a one off striking match against a K1 standout from a higher weight class that goes on their MMA record.

11/6/12 11:24 PM
Mmanizzle

Edited: 11/06/12 11:24 PM
I hear Kimbo is doing well in pro boxing right now... LOL

It was a big risk fighting Seth Petruzelli instead of Frank Shamrock that night...
11/6/12 11:28 PM
Leghound
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd say Nick Diaz is the biggest risk taker in MMA, seems to risk his career with every decision he makes. Missed press conference, loses biggest payday of his life. Busted for weed (again), suspended a year, likely lengthening his path to that payday.
11/6/12 11:30 PM
Mmanizzle

I AM A MOFO - 
Mmanizzle - 
I AM A MOFO - How many MMA fighters would take a fight against one of K1's best heavyweights, while NOT a HW themselves (small LHW at best), under SPECIAL rules that basically nullified grappling or winning by ANY method other than KO?

Or how many big name MMA fighters would accept a fight against another K1 stand out (while champ, no less) who had 100 lbs on them, on just a couple weeks notice, and come out of the gate with an aggressive barrage of punches?

Be small at LHW and enter open weight tournaments that include 3 of the top 4 heavyweights in the world (also while champ)?

Sit back stage hooked up to an IV with a 103 degree fever only to pull that shit out and go defend his title against someone like Hendo (who at the time, was called a "can" and "gimme" matchup to get this guy over with US fans)?

^^ one of the exciting things about combat sports is to see guys like Overeem dominate (steroids or not) in K-1 and MMA. Not sure he could've done it without roids, but he's doing it and will continue to do it.

Although Frank Shamrock is on Dana's shit list, this is the philosophy that he used to try and preach back in the day, is to bring up boxers, kickboxers, and BJJ guys and have them compete in all disciplines at the highest levels.

What's impressive is there are guys like Nam Phan that do have professional boxing experience who is also a BJJ black belt. Guys don't stay in it as long because you have to be Pacquiao/Mayweather in order to make some money. MMA is where the money is right now.

Back to the thread - the type of buzz that Bones Jones gets now is what Fedor had in Pride. Exciting to watch.

And yes, Lauzon does take big risks and is one of the most technical guys out there. He doesn't seem to be a natural fighter and punk kid who had street fights, but someone who just worked hard as fuck to work on his skills, practiced and dedicated his life to the sport. Props to Lauzon.

Reem's situation wasn't comparable to what Wand did though. Reem is a massive guy who trained and dedicated himself to K1, and mostly fought much smaller guys.

That's not the same as a prominent MMA fighter taking a one off striking match against a K1 standout from a higher weight class that goes on their MMA record.

I am a Wand fan, don't get me wrong, but the guys that Wand obliterated in Pride weren't the most technical strikers, although very exciting to watch. Alot of his wins in Pride were against Japanese fighters not known for their striking ability.

Excitement VS Skill - two different things here.

11/6/12 11:38 PM
Dazednconfused
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YellowWrkedByTapIn - Nick and Nate don't do much risk taking, other than taunting when their opponent's backing up. I'd say they're Top 15. Phone Post
As if they don't. They stand in the pocket and trade. That's called risk taking. Not running around the octagon Phone Post
11/6/12 11:50 PM
I AM A MOFO
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mmanizzle - 
I AM A MOFO - 
Mmanizzle - 

I am a Wand fan, don't get me wrong, but the guys that Wand obliterated in Pride weren't the most technical strikers, although very exciting to watch. Alot of his wins in Pride were against Japanese fighters not known for their striking ability.

Excitement VS Skill - two different things here.

Somebody doesn't understand the thread topic.

Also, wand's less competitive match ups have nothing to do with anything I mentioned. So wand had a few of fights against "japanese fighters not known for their striking ability"....does that mean he DIDN'T do those other things I mentioned? What does that have to do with anything being discussed?

I'm not trying to be a dick but I don't know what point you're trying to make, nor if you realize what thread you're in, lol.

Aside from that, wandy fought the best strikers available to him aside from Shogun and Chuck. He even fought the two best pure strikers HW had to offer. He also competed in pure muay thai prior to MMA and Vale Tudo.

He certainly faced more and better strikers than his closest competition at the time, Chuck, who also made his big run against grapplers. It was a grappler heavy era in general back then.

Again though, it has nothing to do with what I said in my other posts.
11/7/12 6:08 AM
shb
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

demonsurge - I've thought about this more.

Melvin Manhoef should be #1 if you're talking about active fighters.

first thing that came to mind when i saw this thread. also honorable mentions to hideo tokoro, palhares, lavar johnson, hendo, brian bowles, damarques johnson, gilbert yvel
11/7/12 6:19 AM
Dazednconfused
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Risk takers are guys who stand in TNT pocket and bang. Guys like Chris Leben, Nick Diaz, Anderson Silva, ... Phone Post
11/7/12 7:59 AM
youarewhatiswrong
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lot of guys livin in the past in this thread.
11/7/12 8:43 AM
Evzey
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe is a boss!! Phone Post
11/7/12 8:48 AM
Loco Lobo

Lauzon brings it .... END OF STORY !!
11/7/12 9:35 AM
YellowWrkedByTapIn

Dazednconfused - 
YellowWrkedByTapIn - Nick and Nate don't do much risk taking, other than taunting when their opponent's backing up. I'd say they're Top 15. Phone Post
As if they don't. They stand in the pocket and trade. That's called risk taking. Not running around the octagon Phone Post

Not much of a risk when their striking abilities exceed their opponents'. They get away with the taunting because they're good enough to pull it off. It would be more impressive if someone with lesser boxing skills did that, imo.
11/7/12 9:57 AM
ALL DAY JAY

Always love to watch Joe Lauzon fight. Win or lose, it is always a great fight.
11/7/12 9:59 AM
Sam Sheridan
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love Joe, but I think it's Big Nog
11/7/12 10:30 AM
choadler
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fapout - Olaf Alfonso should be on the list.
Fucking great call.

Is he still fighting though? Dude is nuts. Phone Post
11/7/12 10:34 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mix6APlix - In before outrage that Jones is on the list.
I'm not outraged but really don't see it. He rarely takes a real risk imo.

I think Benson should be on the list, he takes tons of risks on the ground especially, which is why he is always defending submission after submission. Or guys like Leben, Leonard Garcia, etc. Phone Post
11/7/12 11:10 AM
YVES JOCKSTRAP
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
11/7/12 12:20 PM
behrens14
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm amazed no one has mentioned BJ at all. Guy moves up in weight class often and fights the best of the best there. Fights to finish and has no fear of any opponent. Fought Machida.
11/7/12 12:54 PM
bryanand
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe always goes balls out, and he showed good cardio doing so in his last fight which is an awesome combo.

Saku is the ultimate risk taker

11/7/12 1:28 PM
YellowWrkedByTapIn

Dazednconfused - 

Not much of a risk when their striking abilities exceed their opponents'. They get away with the taunting because they're good enough to pull it off. It would be more impressive if someone with lesser boxing skills did that, imo.
11/7/12 1:33 PM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lauzon is definitely one of my top 3 favourite fighters to watch. Phone Post
11/7/12 1:49 PM
orcus

demonbasketball04 -  Condit soured me after his last performance against Diaz.

Take him off and put Wand in there. Phone Post

Wand has more boring/conservative fights than Condit does. 

11/7/12 1:58 PM
SOO72

J Lou is awesome.
11/7/12 2:06 PM
Salokcin69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YellowWrkedByTapIn -
Dazednconfused - 

What. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.