UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

9/8/13 4:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SubbedZER0
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/8/13 6:49 PM
PoundforPound
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/08/13 6:55 PM
chadk - Kinda destroys the myth of NFL caliber football players being able to dominate boxing if they put in a couple years of serious training, doesn't it? (not that he was the first or last one to try) Different skill set and physical attributes needed.

I kind of view this a bit differently.

Mitchell wasn't NFL caliber. But his athleticism was still enough for him to get relatively far in boxing despite starting late.

If there was no NFL or NBA to suck up all the good American big men then maybe more of them might have gotten into the sport as kids and the heavyweight division in this country wouldn't be so horrid.
9/8/13 7:40 PM
buddie
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PoundforPound - 
chadk - Kinda destroys the myth of NFL caliber football players being able to dominate boxing if they put in a couple years of serious training, doesn't it? (not that he was the first or last one to try) Different skill set and physical attributes needed.

I kind of view this a bit differently.

Mitchell wasn't NFL caliber. But his athleticism was still enough for him to get relatively far in boxing despite starting late.

If there was no NFL or NBA to suck up all the good American big men then maybe more of them might have gotten into the sport as kids and the heavyweight division in this country wouldn't be so horrid.

There have been tons of guys who played in the NFL and floundered in boxing or only did ok vs negligable opposition. Lots of other guys who "played with boxing" have been quoted as saying that boxing was much harder than playing football (admittedly it was likely because they were trained as football players and not fighters.)

Alonzo Highsmith and Ray Edwards come to mind. Also Lyle Alzado got a taste of how different boxing is against a real pro than playing football juiced to the gills.

The thing with guys who are athletes and not real fighters is that when they face a real quality fighter, they get bombed out. That's like Michael Grant, he did ok, he had good coaching, lots of hype and good physical skills, but Lennox made him look foolish.
9/8/13 8:14 PM
PoundforPound
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/08/13 8:15 PM
NFL guys can't just switch over and do well in boxing, I'm not saying that.

But the if the talent pool of big men wasn't being channeled over to other sports that would leave more of them to possibly become fighters from a young age. Which would have a huge impact on the quality of American heavyweights.
9/8/13 9:55 PM
The Mouth
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PoundforPound - NFL guys can't just switch over and do well in boxing, I'm not saying that.

But the if the talent pool of big men wasn't being channeled over to other sports that would leave more of them to possibly become fighters from a young age. Which would have a huge impact on the quality of American heavyweights.

So what is the rest of the world's excuse?

Heavyweight is a garbage division.

9/8/13 10:37 PM
chadk
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of the guys from my gym actually fought Mitchell (he lost a decision) on maybe a month notice. He came away unimpressed. He's not got a ton of pro fights but he's sparred some name guys and fought some in amateurs too. Seems he was right. Anyone else notice that little rhythmic thing Seth was doing with his left hand last night? Kinda rocking it up and down in front of his face. A seasoned guy like Arreaola was bound to spot that and start timing the right hand. Phone Post
9/8/13 11:08 PM
SubbedZER0
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chadk -  One of the guys from my gym actually fought Mitchell (he lost a decision) on maybe a month notice. He came away unimpressed. He's not got a ton of pro fights but he's sparred some name guys and fought some in amateurs too. Seems he was right. Anyone else notice that little rhythmic thing Seth was doing with his left hand last night? Kinda rocking it up and down in front of his face. A seasoned guy like Arreaola was bound to spot that and start timing the right hand. Phone Post

didn't see that until I went back and looked for it, but I sure watched him step out of the corner on a miserable angle...combine that with some slow footwork and Will Robinson has found the danger again.

9/9/13 12:44 AM
Barry_BondsMVP
848 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guerrero does the same with his lead hand.

9/9/13 7:06 AM
SubbedZER0

Jennings looking for the Arreola fight

9/9/13 7:18 AM
SubbedZER0

Question: Who is this Doug Fischer.....and does he know what he's talking about?

9/9/13 8:06 AM
Fedoral Crime
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just watched this doc on Sugar Ray Robinson.

If you've never seen it before, it's definitely worth a look. Great old footage not just of his fights.

9/9/13 9:06 AM
tbi0904
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SubbedZER0 - 

Question: Who is this Doug Fischer.....and does he know what he's talking about?

Doug used to write for maxboxing with Steve Kim a while back. He's pretty knowledgeable but (like everyone else) doesn't always get them right.
9/9/13 9:09 AM
chadk
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SubbedZER0 -

Dougie Fisher used to be one of the main writers for Maxboxing.com and has written/writes elsewhere too. I've chatted with him a few times a few years back. Struck me as pretty knowledgeable. Phone Post
9/9/13 10:59 AM
HenryO

The Mouth - 
PoundforPound - NFL guys can't just switch over and do well in boxing, I'm not saying that.

Wlad/Povetkin and Haye/Fury coming up.

Ill be watching. I cant believe POvetkin got to 34 without fighting Klitchsko though

The Kiltschko's are just too dominant, Vitali's on his way out finally which should open it up a bit.

It shows you how tough boxing heavyweight is when you see these guys like Mitchell and Price get quickly sat down once they near the top 10 guys
9/9/13 11:01 AM
HenryO

FedorFalconPunch - Chris is right about Mitchell. Mitchell doesnt have the chin or the footwork to be a top boxer but Mitchell could wreck shit in MMA.

Seth would 1 punch 90 percent of MMA heavyweights..hes def built to fight MMA but he cant handle top level boxing at all

That chin wouldnt do him any favors

Im sure he could KO some guys and probably get to UFC, but downhill from there
9/9/13 2:27 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
848 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what did Fischer say? Looks like Maidana/Broner is vertbally agreed too, Ortiz and Thurman may be on the card too.

9/9/13 2:31 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Mikey Garcia-Roman Martinez Reach Deal For Nov. 9th
9/9/13 2:38 PM
tbi0904
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP - 

what did Fischer say? Looks like Maidana/Broner is vertbally agreed too, Ortiz and Thurman may be on the card too.

Nothing outlandish, he just thinks Canelo's gonna win a very close fight.

Broner and Thurman all day on that card.
9/9/13 2:41 PM
The Mouth

HenryO - 
The Mouth - 

Ill be watching. I cant believe POvetkin got to 34 without fighting Klitchsko though

The Kiltschko's are just too dominant, Vitali's on his way out finally which should open it up a bit.

It shows you how tough boxing heavyweight is when you see these guys like Mitchell and Price get quickly sat down once they near the top 10 guys

Neither of those fights are worth a shit.

And no lie... I weigh 220 and could give most Heavies right now a run.  The weightclass is horse shit.

9/9/13 3:57 PM
AttentionDeficitDizzle
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Epic thread is epic

9/9/13 5:34 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

as much as it pains for me to say, if the fight is with in a few rounds...I could see a screw job in favor of Canelo...just so they can have a huge rematch.

9/9/13 6:30 PM
The Mouth

Barry_BondsMVP - 

as much as it pains for me to say, if the fight is with in a few rounds...I could see a screw job in favor of Canelo...just so they can have a huge rematch.

Vegas would never do that to Vegas.

9/9/13 6:31 PM
HenryO

The Mouth - 
HenryO - 
The Mouth - 

Neither of those fights are worth a shit.

And no lie... I weigh 220 and could give most Heavies right now a run.  The weightclass is horse shit.

I disagree with the first part, and even if you think that both are pretty much free tape delayed add ons to already good HBO televised card

September 28 3 site card
Stevensoun/CLoud Chavez/Vera Haye/Fury

Why wouldnt you watch.

Klitschko/Povetkin is paired with a Cotto fight.
9/9/13 6:37 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
493 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP - Mikey Garcia-Roman Martinez Reach Deal For Nov. 9th
Is that Bradley/JMM? Phone Post 3.0
9/9/13 6:42 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
493 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NM, had that fight confused. Nice triple header on Nov 9th Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.