UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Henderson: UFC promoting 'circus acts'

11/9/12 10:07 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In August, 42-year-old Dan Henderson suffered a knee injury and was forced out of a title shot against UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones. Lyoto Machida turned down a last minute opportunity to fight Jones, and Middleweight Chael Sonnen gamely agreed to step up, but was refused by Jones, infamously leading to the cancellation of UFC 151.

Henderson hoped that with his knee recovered he would again get a title shot. Instead, he gets a shot at Machida, while Sonnen gets at a shot at it all. Henderson has kept up a stready drumbeat of criticism, but has multiple times said it is not directed at his friend Chael Sonnen, but rather it is the UFC who he blames.

"That wasn't directed at Chael at all," said Henderson. "It is what it is. I called it how I saw it. I could have said that the UFC is promoting circus acts. You know, the man with the longest arms against MMA's biggest mouth? It is what it is. I don't think that the fans wanted to see that -- they don't view it as a real fight. I'll always have love for Chael. I'll definitely help him train if he needs or wants my help. Advice? I trained a whole training camp for Jones. I probably have a lot of game plan in there. But, Chael and I are just different fighters, as well."

Jones fights Sonnen at the close of TUF 17. Henderson fights Machida at UFC 156 in Feb. If Jones and Henderson both win, barring the dangers of the world, Hendo may yet get a title shot before he retires. But for now, he trains and waits and calls it like he sees it.

11/9/12 10:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TeaBaggedbyMagicUndies
371 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't pride promote 'circus acts'? Phone Post
11/9/12 10:11 AM
forrestfan
336 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm glad Henderson is calling this out so much, especially since he's close with Chael.
11/9/12 10:12 AM
MagSlim
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TeaBaggedbyMagicUndies - Didn't pride promote 'circus acts'? Phone Post
Circus Acts Never Die ........? Phone Post
11/9/12 10:40 AM
zebers3
424 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I get why Henderson is all butthurt about Chael getting this fight, but the funny thing is, if Dan had just disclosed his injury as soon as he knew it happened (3 weeks before the event) that would have given Jones enough time to prepare for Chael. Jones would have had his way with Sonnen, and would likely not be injured as he his now (due to Belfort) and would now likely be training for a fight with Hendo on the year-end card, or superbowl weekend.
11/9/12 10:49 AM
Authority Figure

I agree. It's Dan's fault for not disclosing his injury sooner.

That said, while I do see it as a circus act, lots of people enjoy going to the circus. Its going to do huge numbers.

Weird seeing what makes Dan angry. Phone Post
11/9/12 10:53 AM
Augie Max
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMARoundup.com
"I could have said" Phone Post
11/9/12 11:08 AM
145er

Dan got screwed...
11/9/12 11:15 AM
chew22
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dan's getting spanked a little by the UFC for the late disclosure of the injury, and has to wait a fight for a title shot.

And yes, the UFC does promote circus acts because they sell tickets.

11/9/12 11:18 AM
Soup and Beer
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really like Dan but honestly I think Chael could beat Dan on takedown ability alone.  So that doesn't say much good about Dan's chances against Jones.

11/9/12 11:18 AM
I_Pulled_Guard_On_Kimbo

Dan "new-romo-a-day" Henderson. Phone Post
11/9/12 11:23 AM
Krs10KO.com
348 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Augie Max - "I could have said" Phone Post
Title forgot to add this part. Phone Post
11/9/12 11:46 AM
wazzu19
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Warzone209 -
MagSlim - 
TeaBaggedbyMagicUndies - Didn't pride promote 'circus acts'? Phone Post
Circus Acts Never Die ........? Phone Post

Those Grand PRix's were hardly circus acts.  Takes some balls to fight multiple times a night against some of the best fighters in the world.

Circus act fights still take balls...Pride def had some circus fights! The Japanese fans loved it Phone Post
11/9/12 11:59 AM
forrestfan
336 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Soup and Beer - 

I really like Dan but honestly I think Chael could beat Dan on takedown ability alone.  So that doesn't say much good about Dan's chances against Jones.

At least Dan could end the fight with a punch, while Chael would need to hold Jon down for the majority of 5 rounds. And that isn't gonna happen.
11/9/12 12:05 PM
Acidic

Soup and Beer - 

at 185? a good chance

at 205? not a chance in hell does Chael have of beating anyone in the top 5 specially somoene like Hendo

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.