UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What's up guys

11/21/12 3:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DreamerMMA
554 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike Swick - 
DreamerMMA - 

Hey Mike, I'm not sure if this has been done to death yet but care to share any thoughts about your training with the US Marines Mountain Recon guys?

What was the most difficult thing you had to do with them?

Any of them you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley?

Did they push you to your limits with anything?  If so, what?

Anything they did better than you feel you could do?

Did you get to show them some good MMA moves?  How well did they pick it up and did they seem like they found your techniques useful?

What was your overall impression of the Marines after that stint?  Did your opinion change for better or worse?

Sorry, I know it's a lot of questions but I'm curious and being an army vet this really interests me.

Thanks again.

Hey Mike, I'm not sure if this has been done to death yet but care to share any thoughts about your training with the US Marines Mountain Recon guys?

A. Sure no problem!

What was the most difficult thing you had to do with them?

A. We did a 2 mile uphill mountain hike with a 60 or 80 pound backpack. Once we reached what we thought was the end, they had us carry a wounded Marine back down. He was fake but weighed well over 200 pounds and he had a backpack too. So the 4 of us had to hike back down with our backpacks and sharing this Marine and his backpack. The trail was super narrow and we almost fell off the mountain a couple times! Was real tough!

Any of them you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley?

A. I stay out of dark alleys. ;)

Did they push you to your limits with anything? If so, what?

A. The hike listed above. We went in not expecting it to be an endurance challenge and that caught us all off guard. In 2 days we did 2 big hikes and climbed a huge cliff. Henderson was in real good shape at the time though and pushed hard. I think he stays in peak shape 24/7.

Anything they did better than you feel you could do?

A. So many things! haha They are experts at what they do. There is a lot of dedication, hard work and sacrifice that goes into being a Marine. They handle it like bosses.

Did you get to show them some good MMA moves? How well did they pick it up and did they seem like they found your techniques useful?

A. I have done seminars for the troops all over the world but this particular excursion was them putting us through challenges. We didnt get to roll with them.

What was your overall impression of the Marines after that stint? Did your opinion change for better or worse?

A. I have and have always had much respect for the Marines and all of the troops serving our Country. As of late, I have been hanging out with more Marines. Right before this trip, I was in Afghanistan and Kyrgyzstan and got to train with and follow some Marines around. Good guys! ;)

Thanks for that Mike.

Those road marches are a real bitch.  I completed the infamous "Manchu Mile" in South Korea some years ago which is a 25 mile road march up three rugged, steep mountains.  We literally marched up into a cloud on the third mountain.  Probably one of the toughest things I've ever been through but easily the most rewarding.

Thanks for popping onto the UG and interacting with the fans, we all appreciate it.

And thanks for supporting the troops.

11/21/12 11:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Paquet90
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Swick love watching you fight and cant wait for Dec 8th is there anyone out there you would love to fight after this one or will you just fight anyone the ufc puts in front of you?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.