UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC 154 does 700,000 ppv buys

11/29/12 10:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Card
2031 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/29/12 10:44 AM

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/11/29/3702500/george-st-pierres-return-estimated-at-doing-680-700000-buys-for-ufc

UFC 154, which featured the return of the company's top pay-per-view drawing card, Georges St. Pierre, did a number estimated at 680,000 to 700,000 buys, based on different sources.

The company's biggest event of 2012 is believed to have been UFC 148, headlined by Anderson Silva's middleweight title defense over Chael Sonnen, that did an estimate of 925,000 buys, the company's best showing since 2010. 

The number is slightly below estimates for St-Pierre's three most recent fights with Jake Shields, Josh Koscheck and Dan Hardy, that were estimated at between 750,000 and 800,000 buys.

11/29/12 10:42 AM
Entreri
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael Sonnen really sold that fight.
11/29/12 10:42 AM
BrattMamley
1064 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With very minimal buzz and exposure, I'd have to think this was a success. GSP really is the biggest PPV draw. They didn't advertise this anywhere near as much as 148 and 145. GSP sold 700k on his own. I am impressed with his performance.

11/29/12 10:46 AM
Brigham
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Entreri - Chael Sonnen really sold that fight.
If he didn't get atleast a few million for that fight, it's a damn shame Phone Post
11/29/12 10:54 AM
epwar
602 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love how Meltzer casually works in that UFC 148 did less than the over a million buys he initially said it did.

11/29/12 10:57 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Entreri - Chael Sonnen really sold that fight.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

You should also have typed "FIRST (to defend GSP)"

11/29/12 11:08 AM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

Chael was on ESPN every day for about 10 days talking about that fight.

I don't always make a lot of money when Anderson Silva headlines a ppv, but when I do, it is because of Chael P Sonnen

signed-Dana White/Zuffa
11/29/12 11:09 AM
sacredhate
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

it wasn't a GSP defence.

it is more readily interpreted as "Chael sold that fight, not Anderson" or "Chael knows how to draw money in".

you have to really try to turn it into nut hugging above all else.
11/29/12 11:27 AM
MMALOGIC

The HW, LHW, MW, WW, divisions all pull 400k plus buys.  which means they are worthy of being ppv events.

LW, FW, BW, and FLW  do not.  those fights need to be placed on fox or co main ppv events until people are sold on it.

11/29/12 5:26 PM
slamming

GSP24 -  That's a solid number.

The market is changing. The ability to pull over a million buys will be very challenging over the next year.

GSP is responsible for drawing that many buys on his name alone. Phone Post

Very very true. There are too many events now that PPV's do not feel like the "spectacle" they once were.

11/29/12 5:53 PM
ufc98newb
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TomLowe - If GSP was American I think the number would be around 500K. I'm sure Canadians make up 30-40% of the buys whenever GSP fights.

True. GSP being a Canadian superstar gives him an unfair ppv edge on anybody not from Canada. Imagine what numbers would be like for Anderson if Brazil was under the ppv umbrella. 

11/29/12 5:55 PM
ufc98newb
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glovegate - 

Sonnen did sell the fight though.

Compare 148 to 153.  Fairly similar cards but Anderson vs Bonnar does 410 while Anderson vs Sonnen does 925.

Are you so hateful you can't concede anything in the guy's favour?  Kinda sad, brother.  Be positive and positivity will come back to you.

Sonnen is a great Salesman. but comparing a title fight to a meaningless fight with a guy maybe outside top 20 is a little unfair.

Sonnen silva probably would have done 700-800 by itself just based on the first fight

11/29/12 5:57 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Glovegate - 

Sonnen did sell the fight though.

Compare 148 to 153.  Fairly similar cards but Anderson vs Bonnar does 410 while Anderson vs Sonnen does 925.

Are you so hateful you can't concede anything in the guy's favour?  Kinda sad, brother.  Be positive and positivity will come back to you.

LMAO@ comparing a last minute fight against a non-contender at another weight class to Sonnen II.

I am not hateful at all. There is nothing to concede. For years GSP has been the UFC's biggest draw for PPVs. I just found Entreri's post funny.

11/29/12 6:05 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 11/29/12 6:12 PM

The market is changing. The ability to pull over a million buys will be very challenging over the next year.

yep..., a million buys arent happening when only around a million watch your free product.

they used to get 1.8 million plus watching the fight nights.  800k less people watching means less buyers.  They used to get around 500k plus watching each countdown... now they get like 20k on fuel.

It's amazing they are still selling ppv's and look to do around the same amount of total buys as last year with 2 less events.

11/29/12 6:12 PM
MMALOGIC

Dong Johnson - 

Chael was fighting Anderson Silva.... he contributed to at least half the sales.

GSP was fighting Condit(who?)

How many PPV's do you think GSP vs Silva generates?  If you minus the difference, that's how much bigger of a draw GSP is than Chael.  Silva  would be the common denominator.

GSP Silva would probably do around 1.3 million buys as a conservative estimate. 

Chael is noweher near GSP.  GSP can sell 700k ppv's against a manikin.

Chael needs a draw to play off of.  He needs an Anderson or Jones to pull a big buy rate.

Chael needs  the right counterpart whereas GSP doesnt.

11/29/12 6:14 PM
JetSetter

Incredibly strong number for a very week card and also the fact that the fight was not heavily marketed and the only big draw on the card had not need in the public for almost two years. Phone Post
11/29/12 6:41 PM
RICKYB
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for condit too , he was smart to wait for Gsp , he gets a % of the ppv also . Phone Post
11/29/12 6:45 PM
HandyDarsh
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JetSetter - Incredibly strong number for a very week card and also the fact that the fight was not heavily marketed and the only big draw on the card had not need in the public for almost two years. Phone Post
And he eventt didn't even sell out,
Imagine if the card was stacked, and gsp was fighting Diaz. Phone Post
11/29/12 7:10 PM
Entreri

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Kid, GSP certainly does not need me to defend him, he is a big man...according to some as big as Silva.

I was complimenting Chael on his ability to sell a match.

11/29/12 7:17 PM
HandyDarsh
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

x Anchor x -
TomLowe - If GSP was American I think the number would be around 500K. I'm sure Canadians make up 30-40% of the buys whenever GSP fights.
Ya cause Canada supports our guys more than America supports theirs. Population of 350mil you would think give Americans a big advantage Phone Post
You would think Anderson would be the ppv champion with all the Brazilians loving mma right now Phone Post
11/29/12 7:30 PM
Chris27

MMALOGIC - 

yep..., a million buys arent happening when only around a million watch your free product.

they used to get 1.8 million plus watching the fight nights.  800k less people watching means less buyers.  They used to get around 500k plus watching each countdown... now they get like 20k on fuel.

It's amazing they are still selling ppv's and look to do around the same amount of total buys as last year with 2 less events.

But thats because the fights nights are airing on Fridays not Sat, thats a major difference.

Just because less people watch Fight Nights on Fridays doesnt mean they fans left the sport, doesnt mean those fans wont watch a PPV or order a PPV it just means some people arent sitting home on a Friday to watch an event.

Moving Fight Nights/TUF finales to Sat should improve numbers.

We'll see how the TUF finale on Sat Dec 15 does. Will be interesting to see which card does better, the fight night TUF/UK/Australia finale on Friday or TUF 16 finale on Sat.

11/29/12 8:44 PM
HandyDarsh

Book4 - 
x Anchor x - 
TomLowe - If GSP was American I think the number would be around 500K. I'm sure Canadians make up 30-40% of the buys whenever GSP fights.
Ya cause Canada supports our guys more than America supports theirs. Population of 350mil you would think give Americans a big advantage Phone Post

well see america doesn't have inferiority complex like most nations do.

yeah americans arent as loyal of fans because america's the greatest country in the world.

solid logical response.

11/29/12 8:44 PM
MattyECB
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ufc98newb - 
TomLowe - If GSP was American I think the number would be around 500K. I'm sure Canadians make up 30-40% of the buys whenever GSP fights.

True. GSP being a Canadian superstar gives him an unfair ppv edge on anybody not from Canada. Imagine what numbers would be like for Anderson if Brazil was under the ppv umbrella. 

I hear that alot, but I'm from Canada and as much as we love GSP, most of my friends call him a blanket or mock him as much as the rest of the world lol

Iunno, we just watch alot of MMA here in general. All my casual fan friends watch GSP, AS and JJs equally, they're all watched religiously by MMA fans and casuals alike over here. Or at least talking from the perspective of Ontario and Quebec, the two large markets in Canada.

I've a ton of Vancouver friends, but I've never lived there for an extended time like in Montreal or Toronto so I can't talk definitively for those provinces.
11/29/12 8:45 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Entreri - 
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Kid, GSP certainly does not need me to defend him, he is a big man...according to some as big as Silva.

I was complimenting Chael on his ability to sell a match.

Yes ,yes. That is clearly what you were doing. Paying compliments....lmfao

11/29/12 8:46 PM
MattyECB
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

x Anchor x - 

Well we are a respectible 30 something million ppl XD

And i guess I should add an addendum to my previous post. Quebecers, mainly non-montreal quebecers, really do get an extra special hard-on for GSP. So theres that. He's got the insanely supportive demographic of rural-quebec on his side above all other fighters

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.