UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Showboating aside, what does Rory's win mean?

12/9/12 2:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wasa-B
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I made the "Rory, I'm not impressed" thread, i was referring more to the fact that he showboated against a legend but then decreased his output.

That aside, he obviously looked stellar but he still kinda coasted in the 3rd round against a guy who he looked like he was nearly 2 weights larger than and had hanging in first 2 rounds.

Rory's striking looked great and showed many diff tools - the jab, that Brazilian type kick (going upwards then downwards?), great combos, elbows, etc. He looks huge at WW, probably as big as any WW out there. But again, BJ is still a LW so not sure what this means for Rory.

I compared BJ's and Rory's career at similar points and there is no doubt BJ lit the world on fire much faster and against better guys. But Rory seems like he's been brought along at the right pace. He actually still does not have a win over a legit top WW yet. BJ is not. Condit would have been but we know what happened there, Nate is back at LW for a reason.

Still, Rory seems to have been given the right list of opponents, some good guys, some not so much, and progressed at an incredible rate in terms of all around skills. He is still only 23.

Now he's called out Condit to avenge that "humiliation" or whatever. What's the next best fight for Rory? GSP is gonna fight Diaz or Hendricks if not so I suppose the Condit rematch may make sense. That can continue the Condit vs Tri Star thing and can see if both guys have improved from last time, its clear Rory has but I think Condit has too.
12/9/12 2:32 PM
vincan469
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that he is ready for a 5-10 ranked fighter.
12/9/12 2:34 PM
Wasa-B
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Question is which one?

Condit? Kampmann? Kos? Ellenberger?
12/9/12 2:34 PM
SHOGUN250
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It means he is indeed at the top of the WW food chain.

#5, to be exact
12/9/12 2:35 PM
Brigham
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He looked awesome Phone Post
12/9/12 2:36 PM
Pancake Syrup
549 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Give him Condit but it should be in the U.S. not Canada
12/9/12 2:37 PM
Wasa-B

SHOGUN250 - It means he is indeed at the top of the WW food chain.

#5, to be exact

A win over BJ at WW bumps Rory to #5?
12/9/12 2:38 PM
vincan469
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - Question is which one?

you could even add fitch and maia to your list. as for which one might as well have a lottery, because he will have to fight all of them at some time more than likely.
12/9/12 2:39 PM
rumble_fish
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he beats condit, I'd still like to see him fight a strong wrestler. It seems like kos or fitch are the wrestling gatekeepers of WW. If he can pass that test have him fight for the title.
12/9/12 2:39 PM
Wasa-B

vincan469 - 

you could even add fitch and maia to your list. as for which one might as well have a lottery, because he will have to fight all of them at some time more than likely.

Those would be good too. Fitch because he's well rounded but not as dynamic as Rory but coming off a good win and could test Rory's heart.
12/9/12 2:40 PM
Wasa-B

rumble_fish - If he beats condit, I'd still like to see him fight a strong wrestler. It seems like kos or fitch are the wrestling gatekeepers of WW. If he can pass that test have him fight for the title.

Yeah, he was handling Condit but Condit is like Diaz and not that hard to take down but tough on the ground.
12/9/12 2:45 PM
SHOGUN250
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - 

#5, to be exact

GSP
Hendricks
Diaz
Condit
Rory
Fitch/Kos/Ellenberger/Kampmann

looks about right
rumble_fish
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - 
rumble_fish - If he beats condit, I'd still like to see him fight a strong wrestler. It seems like kos or fitch are the wrestling gatekeepers of WW. If he can pass that test have him fight for the title.

Yeah, he was handling Condit but Condit is like Diaz and not that hard to take down but tough on the ground.

He was handling Condit until he got put on his back and held there by someone who isn't known for having a wicked top game. If he shows improvement in that area against a strong wrestler that's when he's proven that he's evolved.
Hargreaves
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/09/12 2:45 PM
12/9/12 2:50 PM
Wasa-B

SHOGUN250 - 
Wasa-B - 

#5, to be exact

GSP
Hendricks
Diaz
Condit
Rory
Fitch/Kos/Ellenberger/Kampmann

looks about right

Very debatable.
12/9/12 2:50 PM
Wasa-B

not like it matters though, they'll keep on fighting and we'll know more.
12/9/12 2:58 PM
Puntsized
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love to see him against Hendricks or koschek.

Those guys are tough fights for anyone. Phone Post
12/9/12 3:00 PM
Tomato Can
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Time for MacDonald vs. Koscheck, IMO.

Also, time for BJ to go back to 155 where he belongs, or just retire.
12/9/12 3:02 PM
sux@bjj
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Huge implications for Rory imo: to the average / casual mma fan, Rory just had a fight with an ultra-hyped, fan supported legend on a prime-time network card, pulling 3M+ viewers. This was badly needed for him to establish WW division credibilty after losing to Condit who would go on to lose to GSP (mma math). I'm not sure of a more relevant fight that could have happened for Rory...?
12/9/12 3:03 PM
Jons Forsberg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kos or Condit IMO. Kampmann and Ellenberger wouldn't really be a step up from BJ.
12/9/12 3:15 PM
WoodenPupa
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/09/12 3:17 PM
"Rory's striking looked great and showed many diff tools - the jab, that Brazilian type kick (going upwards then downwards?), great combos, elbows, etc. He looks huge at WW, probably as big as any WW out there. But again, BJ is still a LW so not sure what this means for Rory."

Sometimes size matters in striking and sometimes not. We saw both types in this fight. Rory continually pressed BJ against the fence and then scored shots off the separation. BJ didn't do himself any favors by hanging out there though. By refusing to scoot back to the middle of the octagon when he had the chance, BJ allowed Rory to tee off at will because he got the range he wanted for his kick/punch combos.

On the other hand, Rory did well when they squared off in the center as well. His success there had nothing to do with size, at least in terms of weight. He used his reach advantage very well.

But as with Jones, and the people who cry about his wingspan, a fighter still needs to land the shots he's throwing, reach advantage or not. Rory timed BJ really well in the center.

BJ however, when he did have success, achieved it in out in the open. He landed a few shots, but they weren't combos or particularly clean that often. Nonetheless, I think his corner should have told him to stay the hell off the fence---if they did tell him this, I missed it.

Bottom line: the win means that Rory is unquestionably a consistent fighter against good competition, a minimum requirement for champions. Going into the fight we didn't know how BJ would look. We didn't know how well his corner would function, and we didn't know what level his cardio would be at. Good corner + cardio = dangerous BJ even at 170.

Lots of people expected BJ to look better than this, and even win, which is why the bout had buzz. Rory should have finished him though, so, that's a demerit.

It seems Rory has a propensity to make bouts personal, and that, combined with letting off his offense in order to enjoy his handiwork, could work against him in the future. Doing that against Condit, if they fight again, could get him smoked---again.

So this fight showed that he's a consistent top performer, but highlighted his weakness as well.
12/9/12 3:20 PM
WoodenPupa
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rankings-wise, I put him at #5 as some others have, so I agree with

GSP
Hendricks
Diaz
Condit
Rory

for those who have it like that. Rory-Hendricks would be amazing and appropriate given that Diaz now has the title shot, but it's unlikely to happen for reasons we all know.
12/9/12 3:23 PM
Kings21
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought Rory looked good but he looked good against an aging LW whos whole career at WW has been plagued by his lack of a gas tank. BJ was already tired halfway through round one.

I agree that Rory should fight Condit next but lol at him asking to have it in canada AGAIN after he was finished. Hes not even close to being at the stature of GSP or Anderson who can choose to fight in their home country. Its one thing to call out a guy who beat you so you can have a rematch but its another thing to put demands on the matchup that are luxuries for the great.
12/9/12 4:31 PM
WoodenPupa

"its another thing to put demands on the matchup that are luxuries for the great."

Well, the greats have some leverage by being great. The demand can't put Zuffa out too much though, or they won't do it. The demand can't threaten PPV sales or make Zuffa lose $$ in any other way.

If a Canadian fighter has fans, he's a contender, and UFC is scheduled to come back to Canada, then the demand is reasonable, so long as it comes off as a *request.* Demands---authentic, of the "my way or the highway" sort--- by fighters are rarely met on a grand scale by the UFC.

What matters here is how poplar Rory is in Canada and whether fighting there will make a difference in PPV sales. There is always a view towards $$ when it comes to favors by the UFC, whether the money is short or long term.
12/9/12 6:20 PM
Wasa-B

sux@bjj - Huge implications for Rory imo: to the average / casual mma fan, Rory just had a fight with an ultra-hyped, fan supported legend on a prime-time network card, pulling 3M+ viewers. This was badly needed for him to establish WW division credibilty after losing to Condit who would go on to lose to GSP (mma math). I'm not sure of a more relevant fight that could have happened for Rory...?

Agree, good point. But it doesnt really say that much on how he's gonna do aginst the top WWs imo. Some but not that much.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.