UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Help! $40K of my $250K insurance claim was denied

12/27/12 11:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Conor Heun
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First off, I'm sorry that the initial title of this thread was misleading.

Second, I am so so so grateful to by under the zuffa umbrella. They REALLY STEPPED UP FOR ME!

They paid 198k out of their pocket when the insurance company denied the claim. They are an amazing company and take amazing care of their fighters.

I had ACL surgery following my fight with Jorge Gurgel before Zuffa owned Strikeforece and we only had 50k of insurance. The bills where way over that and I was forced to claim bankruptcy to get out from under the debt.

Zuffa PAID 198K OUT OF POCKET! They didn't have to do anything. They could have stuck me with the whole bill.

They told me the final surgery wasn't going to be covered, unfortunately I wasn't in a position where I could avoid the final surgery. I had screws that had to be removed as well as the work to repair the left side.

My doctor wasn't at fault either.

He wanted to ensure that I could return to the cage to fight and he wanted his repair to last so he reinforced it.

The issue with my bones wasn't that they lacked density (haven't you seen me fight?)
It's that they where the densest bones he had ever seen, ie very hard to break or cut.

In fact, there were complications on the left side as well because the screw they were using to secure the avulsion fracture snapped off as they were putting it in because me bones are too strong.

They spent an extra hour and a half digging out the screw fragment before finding a stronger screw to use.

Hope this helps clear things up. I am very very lucky to be fighting for Zuffa and they went above and beyond the call of duty.
12/28/12 12:02 AM
MattyECB
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Conor Heun - First off, I'm sorry that the initial title of this thread was misleading.

Second, I am so so so grateful to by under the zuffa umbrella. They REALLY STEPPED UP FOR ME!

They paid 198k out of their pocket when the insurance company denied the claim. They are an amazing company and take amazing care of their fighters.

I had ACL surgery following my fight with Jorge Gurgel before Zuffa owned Strikeforece and we only had 50k of insurance. The bills where way over that and I was forced to claim bankruptcy to get out from under the debt.

Zuffa PAID 198K OUT OF POCKET! They didn't have to do anything. They could have stuck me with the whole bill.

They told me the final surgery wasn't going to be covered, unfortunately I wasn't in a position where I could avoid the final surgery. I had screws that had to be removed as well as the work to repair the left side.

He wanted to ensure that I could return to the cage to fight and he wanted his repair to last so he reinforced it.

The issue with my bones wasn't that they lacked density (haven't you seen me fight?)
It's that they where the densest bones he had ever seen, ie very hard to break or cut.

In fact, there were complications on the left side as well because the screw they were using to secure the avulsion fracture snapped off as they were putting it in because me bones are too strong.

They spent an extra hour and a half digging out the screw fragment before finding a stronger screw to use.

Hope this helps clear things up. I am very very lucky to be fighting for Zuffa and they went above and beyond the call of duty.

Wait, I'm confused. You're describung osteopetrosis, opposite of osteoporosis kinda, hen your bones density is abnormally high.

That also shoukd make you susceptible to fracture... Guess they're denser than usua, but not enough to be pathological so you only benefit, current unique situation aside. Never heard of that, really interesting
12/28/12 12:08 AM
MattyECB
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And sorry, know thats unimportant to thw thread. Just thought it was funny when u said, haven't u seen me fight even tho id expect the same difficulties w/ super dense bones

Anyways u were respectful, honest and made it clear u hold kno ill will to Zuffa, who actually helped u a ton. Thank god MMA has such a special community. I kno it's a trope but it's rly true and amazing to see ppl come together. I hope you get through this hwalthy and we can grt back to watching you kickass at what you do so well!

WAR HUEN
12/28/12 1:37 AM
BigSleep
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gpku is not a lawyer, is he?

mindblown.gif

Remind me never to hire him if so.
12/28/12 2:29 AM
Loser Born Natural
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad to see thread title changed.
Good luck Connor! Phone Post
12/28/12 3:51 AM
Jason Reinhardt
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/28/12 4:33 AM
i'm dealing with very similar situation. it's not the ufc. it's their insurance. their insurance is saying my injury (last fight) was a pre-existing condition and they weren't paying to help repair it. (ulner nerve) Anyway, i've been dealing with this back and forth awhile now. My career is on hold and I WANT to be fighting again! I'm not ready to call it quits.
How can the insurance company say it was a pre-existing condition, when i passed all medicals, (extensive, extra medicals for being over age 35, that is!) I passed all of them, and was given the license and approval to fight. How can it be a pre-existing condition? You should see the before and after pic. a pic was taken right after the fight and my whole shoulder and trap muscle is gone. (u would have to see it to imagine it)Plus, i finally couldn't stand the pain anymore and the UFC van drove me to the Milwaukee Emergency room at 5:30am. (which i very much appreciated)
Anyway, when it 1st happened (in the Figuero fight), the UFC paid for a doctor when i got home, and sent me to a very nice and good doctor, to get 6 shots (in 3 different increment sessions) to help the pain and reduce inflamation. Then, to my surprise, the doctor got into trouble with the DEA drug enforcement agency for giving out too many pain pills. I was just walking into his office oneday and here come the cops. So, he closed up shop.
The new doctor is telling me what i need is physical therapy, in order to try and avoid "ulner nerve" elbow surgery to release that nerve, so i can get feeling back in my hand. Doctor said if i just "let it go" then muscle atrophy will start, and i will start losing strenth in that arm. Scares the shit out of me, to be completely honest. I still want to compete and do what i love for a few more years is all. I think I've been around long enough, and paid some dues to deserve a few more years. That's all i ask. Physical therapy said i need 18 visits at $480 per visit. (kinda high priced i thought, but that's what the place cost) UFC's insurance will pay none of it. The UFC is nice enough to offer to pay some money towards physical therapy, out of their own pocket! Unfortunately, not anywhere close to the 18 visits. (but, still a nice gesture) I'm trying to find another physical therapy place for less money, per visit, so i can at least get somewhat close to the 18 visits. If i have to have Surgery its on me. Plus, all the test's. I think the doc said something about an ecg (sp) test, and some other test's he's wanting to do. I wonder what that cost's? I'm screwed. But, nobody made me become a fighter.
I just want people to know it's not THE UFC! It's the INSURANCE COMPANY!! Plus, Conor and I are in similar situations. Which makes me wonder if there's any other fighters out there, this is happening to with the insurance company? Not the UFC! Because, honestly, i wasn't even going to tell my little deal that i'm dealing with, until i read Conor's thread. It takes some guts to come out and talk about this bullshit. This is the shittiest part about fighting.
Much Respect,
Jason
12/28/12 8:34 AM
Winston Wolf
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goku is a lawyer ? and Im the president of the United States
12/28/12 12:12 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

mister3mma - 
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku -
mister3mma -
aritwo - 
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku - 

"Things got sketchy during the second procedure due to the density of my bones and they had to cut me open a lot more than anticipated. That's where all the blood loss and need for transfusion came in.

I was in the hospital recovering for 8 days."

sounds like the doctor screwed up...you may want to consider suing him...u say that the dr.'s job is to fight insurance for you...no its not...maybe hes fighting for you to deflect blame from himself

also u said that all the other doctors recommended a different treamtent...usually the overwhelming majority are correct..remember, he gets paid to perform on you so he is incentivized to advise you to go through surgery

all the doctors suggested a treatment that wouldn't let Conor fight ever again

Conor's surgeon went above and beyond and allowed him to step into a cage again. he advised surgery so that Conor wouldn't lose his career and would be able to fight again.

The treatment was denied because the insurance claimed the damage was due to a congenital condition. The doctor/Conor are saying that the fight caused the damage.

a doctor fights for his patient because that is his job. doctors battle with hospital administrators and insurances all the time to get their patients the best care possible.

it is posts like this that make me so jaded toward patient care. you have a surgeon who spent years and years honing his skills to be able to be good enough to do the surgery to let Conor fight again. he is successful but because insurance is trying to get off on a technicality people want to sue him.

doctors are business people just like everyone else.  dont be naive.  he is the only dr that promised him fighting again. considering the complications and the expense sounds like the dr didnt advise him correctly.  y do u think the other doctors said they couldnt make him fight again? becauae they dont like mma? because they dont like money? no. most likely because in their reasoned amd experienced judgment prrforming the covered procedures wouldnt fix him8, which as it turns out appears to be true. 

You have 40k in medical bills a year and mouths to feed yet have time to bicker online w other MMA fans but don't have money to donate to a good cause? SMH Phone Post
Yeah. It's not like anyone works 24 hours a day dummy.

Also I'm not bickering with anyone. I have conor real world solid advice.

The first piece of advice was the original title was a bad idea. He acknowled this by changing the title.

The second peice of advice was taking a second look at his doctor. Laypeople tend to view doctors as altruistic saints. They're not. I represent doctors so I know. If he is able to lower the expenses or win a malpractice case that would do a world of good relative to you basement dwelling freaks breaking your piggy banks and donating 3 dollars. Phone Post
Oh your a lawyer? My family is full of them. Explains a lot. Best of luck raising a family w that attitude Phone Post

lol..what attitude...analytical rationalism?

12/28/12 12:43 PM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
12/28/12 1:17 PM
NINERS76

1st the title of thread is sketchy and then we dont get all the info. People keep adding bit by bit. The whole thing now seems sketchy. Post the truth about everything please. If this was the 2nd time this has happened and still no plan B
12/28/12 1:39 PM
NINERS76

The story keeps changing and that is my concern. Put out all the facts and let people decide. Dont just put out little by little.
12/28/12 1:47 PM
NINERS76

True you got a point there. But since he posted a thread Im entitled to an opinion. Dont post stuff if you dont want people to comment and have an opinion.
12/28/12 1:51 PM
Brian J DSouza

Glad that Zuffa chipped in. It is the least they could do.

We're seeing the symptoms of a broken health care system in Connor's story. The Canadian and UK examples of health care are a solution to many tragic stories.

Please do not write our system off based on fears of higher taxes. Read, study and learn about our system, and make a decision based on all the facts.

I am not a stakeholder in converting the US to the Canadian system. I receive no benefit whatsoever from promoting socialized health care. I would just like to see people improve their lives based on the example of others.

12/28/12 1:52 PM
Slapsymaxi
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I liked when the UFC insurance carrier denied a Tito Ortiz claim because he claimed post-fight that he'd had the injury got awhile!

Max Phone Post
12/28/12 2:04 PM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Slapsymaxi - I liked when the UFC insurance carrier denied a Tito Ortiz claim because he claimed post-fight that he'd had the injury got awhile!

Max Phone Post
The cracked skull? Phone Post
12/28/12 2:09 PM

mister3mma - 
mister3mma - 
mister3mma -
aritwo - 

"Things got sketchy during the second procedure due to the density of my bones and they had to cut me open a lot more than anticipated. That's where all the blood loss and need for transfusion came in.

sounds like the doctor screwed up...you may want to consider suing him...u say that the dr.'s job is to fight insurance for you...no its not...maybe hes fighting for you to deflect blame from himself

also u said that all the other doctors recommended a different treamtent...usually the overwhelming majority are correct..remember, he gets paid to perform on you so he is incentivized to advise you to go through surgery

Conor's surgeon went above and beyond and allowed him to step into a cage again. he advised surgery so that Conor wouldn't lose his career and would be able to fight again.

The treatment was denied because the insurance claimed the damage was due to a congenital condition. The doctor/Conor are saying that the fight caused the damage.

a doctor fights for his patient because that is his job. doctors battle with hospital administrators and insurances all the time to get their patients the best care possible.

it is posts like this that make me so jaded toward patient care. you have a surgeon who spent years and years honing his skills to be able to be good enough to do the surgery to let Conor fight again. he is successful but because insurance is trying to get off on a technicality people want to sue him.

doctors are business people just like everyone else.  dont be naive.  he is the only dr that promised him fighting again. considering the complications and the expense sounds like the dr didnt advise him correctly.  y do u think the other doctors said they couldnt make him fight again? becauae they dont like mma? because they dont like money? no. most likely because in their reasoned amd experienced judgment prrforming the covered procedures wouldnt fix him8, which as it turns out appears to be true. 

You have 40k in medical bills a year and mouths to feed yet have time to bicker online w other MMA fans but don't have money to donate to a good cause? SMH Phone Post

The first piece of advice was the original title was a bad idea. He acknowled this by changing the title.

The second peice of advice was taking a second look at his doctor. Laypeople tend to view doctors as altruistic saints. They're not. I represent doctors so I know. If he is able to lower the expenses or win a malpractice case that would do a world of good relative to you basement dwelling freaks breaking your piggy banks and donating 3 dollars. Phone Post
Oh your a lawyer? My family is full of them. Explains a lot. Best of luck raising a family w that attitude Phone Post

Prioritizing your self Interests over that of a fellow human being. Morals and lawyers tend not to go hand in hand( I speak from experience as my father uncle and grand father were all lawyers) your intentions for posting don't seem to be to offer any real help for mr Heun, rather to keep your trollish appearance online intact. Best of luck w your self centered approach to humanity Phone Post

im prioritizing my family over some fighter that i never met...whcih is the rational thing to do...u should try it some time..

conor is a big boy and im sure he will be fine

12/28/12 2:18 PM
shaqitup
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well that's kind of shitty.

Hopefully Zuffa can do something about this, or help him out.

Do strikeforce fighters get the same treatment as UFC?
12/28/12 2:25 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
396 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

Goku IS an attorney if I remember correctly Daren.

12/28/12 4:28 PM
cagefanatic
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boom TTT

12/28/12 5:08 PM
NINERS76

mister3mma - 
NINERS76 - True you got a point there. But since he posted a thread Im entitled to an opinion. Dont post stuff if you dont want people to comment and have an opinion.
He posted asking fans who watch him put his health on the line if they could help him recover, an incredible humble action that would only be a a persons last option for resolving an issue. You can have an opinion, for sure, but at what point does your "questioning" become helpful rather than antagonistic Phone Post

If you look on any of the other threads Ive posted on you will see that I dont try to start stuff. You will see that most of my posts are helpful in the subject. I just post how I feel on a topic. Have nothing personal against Conor as a human or a fighter. So Im not one of those who hates on one camp or a couple fighters. I do have my favorites(Evans, Leben,Paul Harris,KOS,Maynard) but try to be subjective on a topic.
12/28/12 5:14 PM

mister3mma - 
mister3mma -
mister3mma - 
mister3mma - 
mister3mma -
aritwo - 

Prioritizing your self Interests over that of a fellow human being. Morals and lawyers tend not to go hand in hand( I speak from experience as my father uncle and grand father were all lawyers) your intentions for posting don't seem to be to offer any real help for mr Heun, rather to keep your trollish appearance online intact. Best of luck w your self centered approach to humanity Phone Post

im prioritizing my family over some fighter that i never met...whcih is the rational thing to do...u should try it some time..

conor is a big boy and im sure he will be fine

40k in med bills and you can't spare $20, nough said Phone Post
Compassion>rationalization Phone Post

compassion for some fighter i never met or my children? are you being serious?

12/28/12 7:08 PM
CindyO

MattyECB - 
mister3mma - 
CindyO -
Jsteven - 
Mike Russell -

Let it be known for the record that Conor holds no ill will towards Zuffa, Strikeforce, or the UFC. They have been nothing but great to him and he isn't trying to target any of them with hhis campaign.

It's unfortunate that their insurance carrier chose to reject his claim for injuries sustained during his fight with Ryan Couture, but it's not surprising. Insurance companies aren't always as level-headed as they should be.

The point of this campaign isn't to makeStrikeforce, the UFC, or Zuffa look bad. It's to help Conor.

If that's the case he might want to change the thread title, goo luck Connor. Phone Post

This x 10.

Cindy

But it is technically correct as the policy is Zuffas. But everyone knows how cool and down to earth Dana and Zuffa is and how much they love their guys. It's clearly the insurance company and not Dana or Zuffa Phone Post

Cindy, I know your considered BLAF's link to the UG in alot of cases so it worries me you dislike the thread title.

Think logically here, Zuffa paid for an insurance company to cover its fighters, besides that Zuffa has no control over the insurance company.

Decision to deny or support and type of injury is completely independent of Zuffa, their only invovlement was being nice enough to foot the bill for any insurance company to cover injuries -- and quite frankly, this is the type of issue that would be encountered regardless of who Zuffa employs -- insurance companies gonna insurance company

It makes sense to write Zuffa's insurance policy because it lets everyone know, UFC brass included, that the company they're paying for and supporting is screwing over one of their fighters. At no point in the thread did Huen make up some conspiracy theory of Zuffa magically pulling the strings, and at no point did he imply that Zuffa chose a bad insurance company...

Thread title is just informative and accurate

Thread title is just informative and accurate

It is now... but it wasn't when I made my post:)

Cindy

12/28/12 7:11 PM
CindyO

Conor Heun - First off, I'm sorry that the initial title of this thread was misleading.

Kudos for stepping up with the facts and good luck with your fundraising efforts to get the balance paid.

Cindy

12/28/12 11:53 PM
Conor Heun
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Cindy.

And Wow, those too trashed this thread with all that quoted bullshit huh? who want's to scroll through that?
12/29/12 12:54 AM
stevekt
612 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Conor Heun - Thanks Cindy.

And Wow, those too trashed this thread with all that quoted bullshit huh? who want's to scroll through that?

Not gonna go back and read the BS but I did drop a few bucks into your fund account. Good luck.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.