UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Melendez likely to receive immediate title shot

12/28/12 12:10 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"(Melendez will) probably come right in and get a title shot," White said. "Again, we'll see."

White expressed his disappointment for how many Strikeforce fighters' past year has been. The promotion had to cancel a pair of fall events, and if fighters on the roster aren't booked for the final show in January on Showtime, their fates may have been up in the air.

But along with the official news of Strikeforce's final show came several fight bookings for upcoming UFC shows with Strikeforce fighters crossing over, including Derek Brunson, who fights Saturday at UFC 155 to open the pay-per-view card against Chris Leben.

"What has happened to the fighters in Strikeforce is horrible," White said. "The way this thing went down is horrible, and they've been very patient. What's happened over there has been completely s---ty."

read entire article...

12/28/12 12:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WestCoastMXC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hell yeah!! Phone Post
12/28/12 12:13 AM
stonepony

Easiest possible fight for Benson.
12/28/12 12:15 AM
SkooterFanForLife
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course it's shitty Dana. And it's zuffa brass's fucking fault. You raped and pillaged the roster, killed weight classes. Made the tourney meaningless. Canceled shows. Don't act all sympathetic now you promotion murderer.
gooddoc

stonepony - Easiest possible fight for Benson.

Obvious Gracie camp hater.
yellow wrkahlc

lol.

Pettis, you better make a convincing case against Cowboy if you want that next crack.

12/28/12 12:16 AM
G-Hands
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awesome.

should be a great fight.

Gil has a good chance of winning this fight.
12/28/12 12:45 AM
Night Hawk

I love Melendez but I think pettis deserves it! Melendez will murder any middle of the road light weight tho!!! Phone Post
12/28/12 12:54 AM
HandyDarsh
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gooddoc - 
stonepony - Easiest possible fight for Benson.

Obvious Gracie camp hater.

voted up for TRUTH

12/28/12 12:56 AM
yellow wrkahlc

What truth?

I'm inclined to agree that Gil would be the easiest fight among the other top contenders right now.

12/28/12 12:00 PM
kevsh
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gil took one for the team staying in SF so of course he deserves an immediate shot. What I don't like is Dana saying "we'll see". He should be saying "absolutely, this guy deserves it and I owe him one".
12/28/12 12:03 PM
ItBurnsWheniOG
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kevsh - Gil took one for the team staying in SF so of course he deserves an immediate shot. What I don't like is Dana saying "we'll see". He should be saying "absolutely, this guy deserves it and I owe him one".
He couldn't leave because of his contract with Showtime it had nothing to do with the "team" Phone Post
12/28/12 4:48 PM
HandyDarsh
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Heel Hooker - Gil lost (arguably) to a not even top 20 guy in Josh Thomson, he needsto earn his title shot by actually winning and convincingly.
Champ vs champ, he already beat Thompson 2 times, you know thompsons top 20. Phone Post
12/28/12 5:12 PM
MMALOGIC

stylistically benson vs melendez is a fantastic match up.

12/28/12 5:22 PM
JimmersonzGlove
567 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome...Gil vs Ben would rule!!

12/28/12 5:25 PM
MMALOGIC

yellow wrkahlc - 

lol.

Pettis, you better make a convincing case against Cowboy if you want that next crack.

the melendez vs Benson fight will likely be booked before pettis/cerrone even happens.

Zuffa needs a main event for the memorial day weekend ppv and april 20th on FOX. 

Bendo vs Melendez will either main event Fox 7 or the ppv on memorial day weekend.

12/28/12 6:00 PM
studiocamp
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not the biggest fan of Ben's but I think it'll be a pretty one-sided fight. I don't think it's smart for Gil's first fight in the UFC being for the title.
12/28/12 10:52 PM
ufcman187

You give a man ( Diaz ) who lost his last fight and then got suspended for failing a drug test a comeback title shot, then you give Chael who lost his last fight in a different weight division a title shot, why not give Melendez a shot? He deserves it. He hasn't lost since 2008
12/28/12 11:42 PM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even though Dana took a lot of the top draws off the roster i still have to agree with him. Showtime should have bankrolled the event. They should have put some money behind the Strikeforce brand. Even if they knew it would be unprofitable and the number of events would be limited the could have easily made the event happen. They would have kept a good name in the MMA world.  Now Viacom really only showed that they are very willing to let fighters stay out in the cold .

So yes Bellator is a different organisation. But Spike is still a Viacom company. It sends a bad signal. Its bad for business in the long term as well. And it pretty much destroyed Showtime ever doing MMA type events again because fighters will think twice about going under contract with them again.

12/29/12 2:08 AM
repseatown

Sweet! Good for him....would love to see how he matches up with such a strong and bigger guy. True test for Gil, will validate the top 5 stature....or keep him near the bottom in the top 10. Cannot wait Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.