UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Do you think Blood Doping happens in MMA?

1/9/13 12:33 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gooddoc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it is hard to detect either way because of its short half life, but it also needs to be used habitually to gain a benefit so chances of being caught increase a little with that.

Maybe they should work on developing better lie detectors so they can just ask athletes.

Or

Legalize peds and let's see some real super beasts compete in our favorite sports. Phone Post
1/9/13 12:40 AM
Matrixkick
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Legalize peds and let's see some real super beasts compete in our favorite sports."

I don't know why but this is kinda how I see it. Those against, stay with me. Every time a new PED is introduced it takes years most of the time to be tested for or the testing is too expensive for said sport. Sooo doesn't it just make sense to say fuck it. Somebody please change my mind. I just don't see any end in sight... Phone Post
1/9/13 3:18 AM
The Super Bean
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matrixkick - "Legalize peds and let's see some real super beasts compete in our favorite sports."

I don't know why but this is kinda how I see it. Those against, stay with me. Every time a new PED is introduced it takes years most of the time to be tested for or the testing is too expensive for said sport. Sooo doesn't it just make sense to say fuck it. Somebody please change my mind. I just don't see any end in sight... Phone Post
I would like to hear a Pro Fighters view on this. Phone Post
1/9/13 10:34 AM
The Super Bean
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
1/9/13 11:09 AM
whoabro

Im sure it happens, but i would love to know how widespread it is. Phone Post
1/9/13 1:14 PM
eljamaiquino

ObamaCare -

plenty of guys have been going 5 hard rounds for years now without that

i dont think anyone is doing that weird shit

too many ways to naturally increase RBC and too many steroids they can get their hands on that do that and much more.

Some guys like GSP already use IVs to rehydrate after weightcutting. Why wouldnt they blood dope? The machine is already there, you're just hooking up blood instead of saline. Phone Post
1/9/13 1:25 PM
HexRei

Animal Chin - 
Matrixkick -  Animal, what on earth could be your motive to use EPO? Honestly just curious. Phone Post

A tournament I have to caddie in on a course in July with big elevation changes for 36 holes a day. Not 100% sure, but I may need the help for my player.

You're going to use PED's to help you walk up and down some hills dragging a bag of golf club? lol
1/9/13 1:29 PM
Hungry4Stink
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kid Charlemagne -  It's very dangerous and shouldn't be done but if you were to do it, EPO is the way. Phone Post

This is INCORRECT.

EPO can be extremely DANGEROUS to fighters - it's more dangerous than transfusions.

The reason is because EPO is fuel to make new red blood cells, a transfusion only adds the red cells you took out at some point. What happens with EPO is - you inject it and your body starts making new red blood cells, but it takes time. So if you inject too much EPO, you can get more than you bargain for as time goes on and all the new red blood cells will turn your blood to sludge, which causes heart attacks and death.

The big problem for fighters is that EPO and dehydration don't go together - so cutting weight is bad news. Get dehydrated and you lose blood plasma, so the percentage of your blood that's the red cells goes up. Again, more chance for your blood to turn to sludge and for you to have a heart attack. EPO AND CUTTING WEIGHT IS A DANGEROUS COMBINATION.

I'm sure some fighters use EPO, I personally know one guy for sure, an old school guy who was using it a few years ago. But it can be a bad road to go down.

1/9/13 1:41 PM
nogi26
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kid Charlemagne - It's very dangerous and shouldn't be done but if you were to do it, EPO is the way. Phone Post
I agree with the first part but disagree with the second. The danger in using both EPO and blood doping is the thickening of the thickening of the blood. Which is increased when an athlete is dehydrated (ie. weight cutting) which can lead to clotting strokes heart attacks etc. With EPO, it must be taken at least 2 weeks before competition to see any benefit which would mean you are cutting weight while on it. While blood doping can be effective if done the night before competition ie. after you've rehydrated. The only increased risk with blood doping is infection if it's not stored correctly or reinjected in a sanitary manner.

I know for a fact both blood doping and EPO are pretty widespread in the sport. I'm just curious as to how these guys are cutting so much weight while on EPO and are not facing these health risks. There has been a case of a UFC fighter having a serious clot issue in the last few years which required surgery. Makes you think. Phone Post
1/9/13 1:43 PM
nogi26
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hungry4Stink -
Kid Charlemagne -  It's very dangerous and shouldn't be done but if you were to do it, EPO is the way. Phone Post

This is INCORRECT.

EPO can be extremely DANGEROUS to fighters - it's more dangerous than transfusions.

The reason is because EPO is fuel to make new red blood cells, a transfusion only adds the red cells you took out at some point. What happens with EPO is - you inject it and your body starts making new red blood cells, but it takes time. So if you inject too much EPO, you can get more than you bargain for as time goes on and all the new red blood cells will turn your blood to sludge, which causes heart attacks and death.

The big problem for fighters is that EPO and dehydration don't go together - so cutting weight is bad news. Get dehydrated and you lose blood plasma, so the percentage of your blood that's the red cells goes up. Again, more chance for your blood to turn to sludge and for you to have a heart attack. EPO AND CUTTING WEIGHT IS A DANGEROUS COMBINATION.

I'm sure some fighters use EPO, I personally know one guy for sure, an old school guy who was using it a few years ago. But it can be a bad road to go down.

U beat me to it didn't see you're post. Phone Post
1/9/13 1:47 PM
nogi26

eljamaiquino -
ObamaCare -

plenty of guys have been going 5 hard rounds for years now without that

i dont think anyone is doing that weird shit

too many ways to naturally increase RBC and too many steroids they can get their hands on that do that and much more.

Some guys like GSP already use IVs to rehydrate after weightcutting. Why wouldnt they blood dope? The machine is already there, you're just hooking up blood instead of saline. Phone Post
I agree but the tricky part is storing the blood right. Blood must be drawn several weeks in advance. You can't train hard for at least a week after donating that much blood. Not only will it weaken you but your RBC will be low so you're cardio will be shit.

If the blood isn't stored right you will basically be injecting an infection directly into your blood. Phone Post
1/9/13 1:48 PM
WidespreadPanic

MuchRespec' -  I heard a rumor that this is how Arthur Ash contracted HIV. It's probably horse shit but the rumor was that in a pinch if the blood doper didn't have an adequate supply of his own blood ready (for various reasons) that the would/could use donor blood...

But like I said its probably horse shit. Phone Post

On the contrary, I think it's quite possible. It was back in the era when testing was not catching the 'window period' of HIV infectivity.

1/9/13 1:51 PM
Animal Chin
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei - 
Animal Chin - 
Matrixkick -  Animal, what on earth could be your motive to use EPO? Honestly just curious. Phone Post

A tournament I have to caddie in on a course in July with big elevation changes for 36 holes a day. Not 100% sure, but I may need the help for my player.

You're going to use PED's to help you walk up and down some hills dragging a bag of golf club? lol

Blood doping isn't a drug, is it?
1/9/13 2:00 PM
Karl Olsson
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

This was interesting, in for more stories of mma-fighters doing blood doping.
1/9/13 2:10 PM
HexRei

Animal Chin - 
HexRei - 
Animal Chin - 

EPO is, and you just said on the last page that "that's the way i'm thinking of going."
1/9/13 2:16 PM
Animal Chin
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei - 
Animal Chin - 
HexRei - 
Animal Chin - 

EPO is, and you just said on the last page that "that's the way i'm thinking of going."

If that's the case, then the answer to your question is possibly.
1/9/13 3:12 PM
HexRei

Animal Chin - 
HexRei - 
Animal Chin - 
HexRei - 
Animal Chin - 

Well, it is the case. If you simply misspoke and meant you were more interested in blood doping of the variety that Armstrong is alleged to have been engaged in, you'd need to stockpile red blood cells in advance with a medical facility for some time, and then convince them to reintroduce them to your system. As you can imagine this is pretty shady and probably not easy to arrange for the average person.

On the other hand, if you really wanted to try something like Epogen, those drugs are very expensive, thousands of dollars even obtained legally, more on the grey market. Not sure if it would be worth it for a few days of employment. Just start jogging or something instead.
1/9/13 3:17 PM
Animal Chin

HexRei - 
Animal Chin - 
HexRei - 
Animal Chin - 
HexRei - 
Animal Chin - 

Well, it is the case. If you simply misspoke and meant you were more interested in blood doping of the variety that Armstrong is alleged to have been engaged in, you'd need to stockpile red blood cells in advance with a medical facility for some time, and then convince them to reintroduce them to your system. As you can imagine this is pretty shady and probably not easy to arrange for the average person.

On the other hand, if you really wanted to try something like Epogen, those drugs are very expensive, thousands of dollars even obtained legally, more on the grey market. Not sure if it would be worth it for a few days of employment. Just start jogging or something instead.

it's already arranged if i want to do it.

1/9/13 3:20 PM
HexRei

No doubt. I'm sure golf caddying has a seedy underbelly of illicit performance enhancement and you are deeply entwined.
1/9/13 3:20 PM
whoabro

Very interesting thread, some of you clearly know what youre talking about. Thanks! Phone Post
1/9/13 3:22 PM
Matrixkick
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei - No doubt. I'm sure golf caddying has a seedy underbelly of illicit performance enhancement and you are deeply entwined.
Bro you made your point. If its what HE wants to do at this point, so be it. He's a grown ass man... Phone Post
1/9/13 3:24 PM
HexRei

Matrixkick - 
HexRei - No doubt. I'm sure golf caddying has a seedy underbelly of illicit performance enhancement and you are deeply entwined.
Bro you made your point. If its what HE wants to do at this point, so be it. He's a grown ass man... Phone Post

What point was that?
1/9/13 3:26 PM
Animal Chin

Matrixkick - 

thanks, but i didn't see anything douchey about his post.
1/9/13 3:27 PM
gooddoc

Hungry4Stink -

This is INCORRECT.

Very good point dehydration will increase viscosity even more. Didn't even consider that. Phone Post
1/9/13 3:28 PM
Matrixkick

HexRei -
Matrixkick - 

What point was that?
Great point! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.