UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Could Bruce lee have kicked yours ass?

1/9/13 4:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Alumynabjj
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Periodik - 
Alumynabjj - 
Periodik - Alot of people forget that Bruce Lee trained extensively with Judo Gene LeBell and other high level grapplers.

So taking him down might not get you the result you're looking for...

He did not train extensively. That is a lie. If I trained bjj for six months three times a week and started telling people on here that I have extensive training people would mock the shit out of me. Why the different standard for Bruce? Also, I bet Bruce even had less training then that with Gene.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but Bruce and Gene cross-trained for over a year.

To the point that when asked how Bruce would fair in modern day MMA, LeBell said he would do great in his weight class.

Bruce also trained with Wally Jay for awhile.

Am I saying that Bruce was a black belt?

Of course not, what I'm trying to inform you on, is that if you took Bruce Lee to the ground your white belt or even blue belt would have trouble with his knowledge and explosiveness.

Can you please advise the time frame and where this is substantiated? I have never seen such a claim where it was over a year.

Oh, do you know what we call someone who trains 4 times a week for a year in bjj? A white belt.
1/9/13 4:50 PM
Alumynabjj

ajl416az - people seemingly do not understand evolution.
bruce knew what was up, but he was ahead of the curve 30 years ago, when nobody knew the first thing about fighting.

nowadays, even the average person knows what works in the street. back in the day, when he said 1 year of boxing and wrestling could overcome 20 years of martial arts experience, he was a revolutionary.

but now, a modern guy who is a talented amateur fighter has been training everything since day 1, stuff that took decades of training before Bruce found out about

A lot of people knew about fighting they just didnt have a movie career to spit it out to the masses. The UG already has debunked this theory when they showed the book from around 1880 that had a guy demonstrating boxing, wrestling, Judo, and other martial arts and talking about the limits and strengths of each. What Lee did was actually worse and took a shit art and combined it with small parts of shit that actually works. He did not throw away the bad stuff. JKD is a joke of an art. Is it better than Kung Fu and that other crap? Yes, yet it was a worse fighting art than boxing, catch wrestling, and Judo. All which was readily taught during his life.
1/9/13 4:51 PM
Michael Kn1ght

I'm gonna say yes Phone Post
1/9/13 5:11 PM
quick
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bruce was by all accounts incredibly fast. I would imagine by that fact alone he would light up quite a few guys. And just lol @ him having no documented fights. The mans whole evolution as a fighter started from a challenge match.
1/9/13 5:17 PM
xXJayRobXx
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It would be an honor to get KTFO by Bruce Lee. Phone Post
1/9/13 5:18 PM
Salokcin69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bhfsim -
theshooter - "No. Back then they didn't have strength training like they do now. I would out power him"

Bruce Lee was not a big guy, but he was very strong for his size. Underestimating him would be a big mistake.
Ants are strong for there size... They still get stepped on.
. Phone Post
Lol Phone Post
1/9/13 5:26 PM
Rear Naked Chode
462 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bruce lee? Yes.

Kareem? Also yes.
1/9/13 5:30 PM
MMA Monkey

If you respect tradition and lineage, no one on this thread would say that they can beat up bruce lee. That's like saying you could beat up Clint Eastwood. They were fucking badasses when you guys were in diapers eating cheerios off the floor. Those guys are legends and were heroes to millions of people. I don't care if you're Anderson fucking Silva - out of respect, you better say that Bruce Lee would kick your ass. And if I remember correctly, Anderson Silva, in an interview, stated that he cannot beat Bruce Lee and called him "the master". (Of course AS can beat up Bruce Lee, even with a hand tied behind his back, but note how the GOAT has eternal respect for his childhood idol? Learn from him.)

Let me put it another way. Would you say that you could beat up your dad? No. Even though as an adult you probably can, you would never ever tell someone that you can beat up your dad. (Well, unless your dad was horrible and abusive or something like that, then that's different.)
1/9/13 7:05 PM
WidespreadPanic

As I said before, it depends completely on the venue. If you're standing in front of him and, say insult him, or threaten him and give him 'cause' he would just eye jab you in 0.05 - 0.08 seconds and then pick you apart.

But in the ring with gear on, and you both know you're in a 'fight', he would be hopelessly out-classed, vulnerable to the takedown and G&P of today's modern MMA fighter.

1/9/13 7:19 PM
Rob San Soo

He loves to eye poke and kick nuts f that Phone Post
1/9/13 8:13 PM
marklyles

Bruce seemed like a cool and really nice guy. But with his training, strength, speed, ect. He wouldnt be an easy street fight for anyone. He's gonna be a ruthless mean little fucker in a fight. He would rip your eyes out, bite your nose off. Hell he would probably bite your balls off. I think he would rather die than lose a fight.
1/9/13 8:19 PM
FatBuddha
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kikenyoy - 
FatBuddha - I think the answer is pretty much yes he could kick the ass of this entire forum in a street fight. By all accounts, his striking was Anderson Silva-like, and he trained his mind and body like no other.

Agreed about his striking, but what about his lack of knowledge of the ground? You are such a GJJ nuthugger that it surprises me that you'd say this. I think a purple belt with good wrestling beats him more often than not. You disagree?

"gjj nuthugger" - ha, probably guilty of that one. But I'm also an instructor under Guru Dan Inosanto (Bruce Lee's student) in JKD and Kali and trained for years with Sifu Francis Fong in Wing Chun (whom Guru Dan considers the closest to Bruce Lee of anyone he's ever met).

I have great love and faith in classical Gracie Jiujitsu but with the explosion of sport bjj I'm willing to bet 99% of this forum doesn't train old vale tudo gjj and entering into the clinch against a striking opponent on a weekly basis. In a street fight then, I have a hard time thinking most on this forum could clinch Bruce...if you don't train it consistantly it's not as easy to clinch a ridiculous striker as you may think. And wing chun has anti-clinch techniques and standing grappling techniques unlike boxing. Most wing chun guys can't fight but the few who can (including Bruce) were no joke.

In addition, it seems that Bruce at least had basic judo based ground skills. With his intellgience and conditioning, it doesn't seem like he'd be an idiot who would get subbed quickly against someone on the ground. But that's kind of a non-issue. I'm basing most of my opinion on most of us being unable to clinch Bruce in the first place.
1/9/13 8:23 PM
FatBuddha

Periodik - 
Alumynabjj - 
Periodik - Alot of people forget that Bruce Lee trained extensively with Judo Gene LeBell and other high level grapplers.

So taking him down might not get you the result you're looking for...

He did not train extensively. That is a lie. If I trained bjj for six months three times a week and started telling people on here that I have extensive training people would mock the shit out of me. Why the different standard for Bruce? Also, I bet Bruce even had less training then that with Gene.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but Bruce and Gene cross-trained for over a year.

To the point that when asked how Bruce would fair in modern day MMA, LeBell said he would do great in his weight class.

Bruce also trained with Wally Jay for awhile.

Am I saying that Bruce was a black belt?

Of course not, what I'm trying to inform you on, is that if you took Bruce Lee to the ground your white belt or even blue belt would have trouble with his knowledge and explosiveness.

^ this is correct. He also trained with my friend and teacher Sensei Fred Sato, a judo master who lives in Seattle and started judo in the 1930s. Him and Bruce were good friends. He's 85 now and has a lot of stories about his ridiculous physical ability. Sensei Sato was actually an american high school football star and football and wrestling coach for over 50 years and not impressed with any mystical mumbojumbo or asian metaphysical martial arts claims. But he speaks about Bruce as if his ability was something...extraordinary
1/9/13 8:33 PM
Alumynabjj

eagleswhat1 - Have you ever seen Bruce Lee fight? I know I haven't...I know he just regurgitated a bunch of shit older Martial Artists said 100's of year's ago. He was a small quick man with horrible kicking mechanics and could easily be beat up in the clinch taken down and busted up badly by any decent High School Wrestler/Football Player. The 70's were all about Kung Fu and Karate in the states, so when a Bruce came in with his slick ass talk and incredible movies of course we bought all that mystic 140lb man could make shoulders touch with a one inch punch.....GROW THE FUCK UP
This dude just laid down the truth. Phone Post
1/9/13 8:35 PM
LShaman

It depends if I land on my stomach or back after he chin-checks me -__-
1/9/13 10:02 PM
Poop Doodle
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only if the script said so. Phone Post
1/9/13 10:22 PM
jimbonice

I've watched all his movies and dreamt I whupped him, so I'm pretty sure I could take him. Phone Post
1/9/13 10:48 PM
kellum634
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Like others have said, bruce was an innovator. He was very skilled and had badass athleticism and quickness. That said, martial arts has evolved so much since that time. He would get absolutely smashed.
1/9/13 10:50 PM
kellum634
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alumynabjj - 
eagleswhat1 - Have you ever seen Bruce Lee fight? I know I haven't...I know he just regurgitated a bunch of shit older Martial Artists said 100's of year's ago. He was a small quick man with horrible kicking mechanics and could easily be beat up in the clinch taken down and busted up badly by any decent High School Wrestler/Football Player. The 70's were all about Kung Fu and Karate in the states, so when a Bruce came in with his slick ass talk and incredible movies of course we bought all that mystic 140lb man could make shoulders touch with a one inch punch.....GROW THE FUCK UP
This dude just laid down the truth. Phone Post

agreed
1/9/13 10:56 PM
THEENDISNEAR

already kicked his ass into the grave
1/9/13 11:03 PM
wiggum
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess I'll jump in.

I'm a little dude (135). But I was a good college wrestler and a good mixed martial artist. I would have beaten up Bruce Lee.

But I respect the shit out of him.
1/10/13 3:44 AM
mofomike
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CREamed_by_DongJ - I would have folded him in half with a body shot

CRE would hurt Lees ancestors with that shot.

1/10/13 5:16 AM
GelderdEnd

michelleNrogersdumpsterbaby - lol to anyone who says yes, you'd have to lay your hands on the guy first to out power him. An I just dont see that happening. People who think just cuz they have some muscles they can fight crack me up.

Bruce Lee would KTFO anyone on this website
Haha this!! I love how people spend their life in the gym, get pumped up on steroids and think they can take the world on, I've seen plenty come unstuck

Bruce Lee would end it in seconds Phone Post
1/10/13 5:17 AM
GelderdEnd

eagleswhat1 - Also, if he was such a great fighter and had so many street fights, went undefeated etc.... where is a video??? One more thing...someone said he was Anderson Silvaesk on the feet......HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
How many street fights have you filmed? Phone Post
1/10/13 8:18 AM
FatBuddha

^ FTW

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.