UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Alvarez Contract Details, UFC TItle Shot, PPV Cut

1/9/13 10:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ReturnofJaco
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guys (and three or four gals),

It's important to note that an update has been made to the story.

The UFC's contract offer says it INTENDS to give Alvarez a title shot, which in legal terms gives it an out.

The key distinction is that Alvarez is not guaranteed a title shot, so Bellator doesn't have to match it, and since matching is what the whole dispute is about, that's a big point.

Which, I'm sad to say, I didn't make clear enough. I am, however, working on a follow-up that fleshes everything out in a better way, so please keep your pitchforks in check.

Steven Marrocco
(The guy who wrote the story)
1/9/13 11:00 PM
PAPA ROACH1
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hahaha i love it , eddie is gonna get paid either way but the best part about this getting out is that its gotta have dana cringing in his chair having everyone read the contract info. this is gonna have a domino effect just like when fedors offer came out and randy and tito ended up getting paid because of it. eddie deserves the most money but i hope this means other fighters are gonna complain and get paid because of it
1/9/13 11:02 PM
32Hunter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this is so Gay if Eddie gets a title shot upon entering the UFC, they already have Gilbert waiting and he's legit higher ranked than Eddie or most of the other lw's.
thank god for Rebney holding this up, although now I can understand why Eddie is pissed.
1/9/13 11:03 PM
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cue angry Gil Melendez interview in 3... 2...1...

1/9/13 11:08 PM
yellow wrkahlc

32Hunter, let's be honest here: Melendez doesn't even deserve the first crack at the belt above Eddie.

The winner of Pettis/Cowboy does.

1/9/13 11:08 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
477 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Overpaying like a morherfucker Phone Post
1/9/13 11:11 PM
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chawkins - Is there an attorney in the house? If so, can you explain how Bellator can claim to be matching UFC's offer by offering PPV points, when Bellator doesn't *have* any PPV shows to give Eddie points from? It looks like bad faith, if I understand the meaning of the term.

did  the ufc say eddie would be on a ppv card?or if

1/9/13 11:15 PM
32Hunter

Edited: 01/09/13 11:17 PM
yellow wrkahlc - 

32Hunter, let's be honest here: Melendez doesn't even deserve the first crack at the belt above Eddie.

The winner of Pettis/Cowboy does.

By level of comp probably, but I have a hard time moving guys ahead of higher ranked fighters who keep winning , and Gilbert has been at the top of the lw rankings for years longer than these Johnny come lately's. shit he's been at the top of the rankings for longer than the ufc has had the division.

missed that other bit about Eddie deserving it more than Gil, I absolutely disagree with that.
1/9/13 11:18 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ReturnofJaco - Guys (and three or four gals),

The UFC's contract offer says it INTENDS to give Alvarez a title shot, which in legal terms gives it an out.

The key distinction is that Alvarez is not guaranteed a title shot, so Bellator doesn't have to match it, and since matching is what the whole dispute is about, that's a big point.

Which, I'm sad to say, I didn't make clear enough. I am, however, working on a follow-up that fleshes everything out in a better way, so please keep your pitchforks in check.

Steven Marrocco

Figured, have been saying it since the beginning, a title shot was probably based on future wins not title fight + ppv fight guaranteed for his first fight

1/9/13 11:18 PM
Il Duce
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku - I would be pissed if I were benson too! Phone Post
This. Phone Post
1/9/13 11:20 PM
yellow wrkahlc

I didn't mean that Melendez s below Eddie in regards to who deserve the shot. I meant he's not the front runner, Pettis/Cerrone winner is.

I can see how it looks now that I read it.

1/9/13 11:26 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course no one will read the update and go nuts thinking Eddie was offered a title fight and ppv cut for hos first fight for the next 10 pages
1/9/13 11:33 PM
TBidness
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

**Raises hand for Eddie Alvarez vs Gil Melendez

TBidness
1/9/13 11:35 PM
orcus

I don't think they said Eddie gets a title shot before anybody else. I assume they meant his first fight will be for the title, which isn't the same thing.

1/9/13 11:35 PM
TBidness
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And that is an absolute ridiculous deal, Eddie is in a good spot no matter what. This is one of the main reasons why I love at least a little competition out there, for these kinds of scenarios.

The whole threat of 'jumping ship' and contract battles will only help the fighters get paid more on all fronts. This is the main reason I'm really rooting for Bellator to be successful in their foray to Spike TV.

TBidness
1/9/13 11:45 PM
ender852
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - 

Zuffa needs to move away from ppv cuts, and into gauarnteed pay.  move to same weight class cards and you dont have to be so dependant on individual fighters.

does anyone see an NFL team in a bidding battle against a CFL team for a player? if it even happens nobody gives a shit.

Zuffa has the opportunity to revolutionize combat sports by making the UFC a divisional sport which is stable and a proven foundation for the most popular sports in the world instead of an individual sport which is highly volitile and cyclical.

it is not feasible to have all same weightclass cards. if they did they would see a huge drop on all the lower weight cards ppv numbers, and a big spike on the heavyweight/lightheavy cards. by doing things the way they are now it forces fans to be interested in all the cards, not just some of them. also if you are a lightweight and you are injured, you miss one of the 2 lightweight cards in a year, and then miss your window to fight? man, there are so many problems with the business model you propose.
1/9/13 11:45 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

ReturnofJaco - Guys (and three or four gals),

Steven Marrocco

lol@intends.  that basically has no legal meaning

1/9/13 11:51 PM
Sergio88
499 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/9/13 11:53 PM
TheBoognish

I'm wondering, since the UFC already has one out for themselves with the"intended" title shot, if the ppv cut is only for when Eddie is headlining? If that's the case then the deal really isn't quite as insanely overpaid as it was a first glance. Phone Post
1/10/13 12:04 AM
confusionSay
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eddie vs Gil would be the logical approach
1/10/13 12:05 AM
yellow wrkahlc

^Said it already in another thread:

If the winner of Pettis/Cerrone wins decisively, they're next in line.

Alvarez vs. Melendez won't happen. Dana isn't going to risk killing two big contenders in either man by having them face each other without a belt on the line.

1/10/13 12:10 AM
n1ck_bAk3d_d1aZ

Fuck man, all i wanna see, is Alvarez in the UFC. Win or lose he always brings it.....Damn.....i'm gonna miss 'Strikeforce'.
1/10/13 12:15 AM
JustPeed
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I figured one of he high difference / points of conflict would be PPV % pay outs

Can bellator match that pat of the contact even though they don't do PPVs under the guise that if they do start PPVs Alvarez would get a cut?

Interesting that Eddie also wants a couple spots doing some guest commentary. I hope UFC starts doing guest commentary with fighters during certain fights. (Guest fighter commentator during a fight pertaining to guest fighter, same division etc) Phone Post
1/10/13 12:25 AM
Strugglezworth
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I read from FRB that since Bellator said they copy pasted the contract and changed suffrage/UFC to Bellator they messed up and in the Bellator contract it still says for fights on fox instead of spike
1/10/13 1:04 AM
chawkins
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12 - 
chawkins - Is there an attorney in the house? If so, can you explain how Bellator can claim to be matching UFC's offer by offering PPV points, when Bellator doesn't *have* any PPV shows to give Eddie points from? It looks like bad faith, if I understand the meaning of the term.

did  the ufc say eddie would be on a ppv card?or if

I'm not sure if that matters.

When UFC says they'll pay you X *if* they put you on a PPV, there's legitimate value there (or potential value) because UFC actually has PPVs to put you on.

When Bellator says they'll pay you X *if* they put you on a PPV, there's no value there whatsoever, because Bellator does not have PPVs to put you on.

That's why I asked, I'm not sure if that's how things are seen from a legal standpoint.

It seems like bad faith to promise a guy a payout for participating in something that doesn't exist.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.