UnderGround Forums

What if ... >> Mods, why was my Lloyd Irvin thread frozen?

1/10/13 5:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DreamerMMA
626 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts, LLC, Moderator
nick diaz nut hugger - 

It's ridiculous that there isn't a system in place for when a freezing/banning takes place. If a thread or a poster is going to be frozen, the moderator doing such should pm the poster and explain why, and that almost never happens.

In fact, the two times I was frozen, I had to contact other mods to see how long the freeze was for.

That is something you'd have to take up with Kirik.

Mods are not required to explain to anyone why they were frozen.  That is something we are all told as moderators.  Most of us do try to tell people why we took action, but it depends on the person and situation.

If I see the same old troll doing the same old shit over and over again I may freeze them and not bother saying a word because why the hell should I?  Paying for a blue name is not a free pass or any kind of protection.

While I'm sure the owners appreciate the support they do not appreciate people abusing the rules and thinking because they have a blue name they are somehow special or exempt from acting like decent human beings on the forums.

Lately I've just been flushing trolls, I barely even bother with freezes as much.  If I keep seeing it then it means someone will likely keep doing it and I tend to go for the ban more often for the really bad offenders.

Do you know a mod froze you?  You sure it wasn't vote downs from posters?  I can take a look at your mod log but my information is fairly limited.

1/10/13 5:41 AM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All I can say is wow... I can't believe Lloyd Irvin has ED! Phone Post
1/10/13 5:47 AM
DreamerMMA
626 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nick diaz nut hugger - 
nick diaz nut hugger - 

It's ridiculous that there isn't a system in place for when a freezing/banning takes place. If a thread or a poster is going to be frozen, the moderator doing such should pm the poster and explain why, and that almost never happens.

In fact, the two times I was frozen, I had to contact other mods to see how long the freeze was for.

Wow, I just looked at your mod log.

You've been frozen 5 times in the last 2 months by mods for trolling.

You also have another screen name.  Canadian Psycho.

Having multiple screen names is a bannable offense.  I hope you have a good explanation.

1/10/13 5:47 AM
Pat Giles
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DreamerMMA -
nick diaz nut hugger - 

That is something you'd have to take up with Kirik.

Mods are not required to explain to anyone why they were frozen.  That is something we are all told as moderators.  Most of us do try to tell people why we took action, but it depends on the person and situation.

If I see the same old troll doing the same old shit over and over again I may freeze them and not bother saying a word because why the hell should I?  Paying for a blue name is not a free pass or any kind of protection.

While I'm sure the owners appreciate the support they do not appreciate people abusing the rules and thinking because they have a blue name they are somehow special or exempt from acting like decent human beings on the forums.

Lately I've just been flushing trolls, I barely even bother with freezes as much.  If I keep seeing it then it means someone will likely keep doing it and I tend to go for the ban more often for the really bad offenders.

Do you know a mod froze you?  You sure it wasn't vote downs from posters?  I can take a look at your mod log but my information is fairly limited.

I'd like you to start freezing or banning Supercalo. Blatant trolling. Tongue in cheek or not, rules are rules and the TOS must be enforced. Phone Post
1/10/13 5:56 AM
DreamerMMA

Anderson Emelianenko GOAT - 

you can't say rules are rules and have them enforced sparingly. getting frozen for that is a joke.

if rules are rules then everyone who calls ANY greennamer ANY name should be frozen, even the jokers like OMA. but that will NEVER happen, it'd just highlight the glaring problems with the Terms of Service, have a whole score of posters start emailing the mods/admins about why they were frozen and show how sparingly it was used.

and then again there's the vote down freezing rule. I know you have no control over that but having PAYING members get frozen for having an opinion people don't agree with is fucking ridiculous.

it has nothing to do with getting a free pass for having a blue name, the vote down freezing policy just has to go. there's a thread about a guy who got frozen by vote downs for making a thread about hunting squirrels, LMFAO. guess the OG really loves their squirrels.

Again, modding is also a judgement call here.

Some mods know some posters better than others.  I have no love for pro fighters who troll these forums and I offer them no protection.  That does not mean all the other mods will do that.  If you troll or insult people you deserve to be counter trolled and insulted back IMO.

I do not make the rules here but I do have wiggle room to make judgement calls based on individual circumstances.  That is how I was told to mod so that is what I do.  I don't speak for all the mods though, we all have our own ways of doing things within the constraints we are given.

Many of us get emails and PM's about freezings.  We bring them to the admins and they usually look into it.  Most of the time it's someone claiming "I got frozen for my opinion" then they read the thread and see the poster in question having a very abrasive attitude and throwing insults at people.  The result is people vote them down.  If the person in question is the OP of the thread then it only takes a fairly smal number of votedowns to freeze them since all votes on the OP count for 3.

I have no control over this.  I made a thread addressing this a while ago and the members spoke up.  The system was updated.  While vote down freezes were not removed the number was raised.  Be careful what kinds of threads you create and how you act in them is my only advice on that, it's the best I can do.

1/10/13 6:06 AM
Silhouette
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nick diaz nut hugger - 

PLus, he pays his part every month for the internet bill. Having two separate internet lines in a 3BR apartment is just unfeasible

this shouldnt matter in the least, you are not responsible for others
1/10/13 6:06 AM
DreamerMMA

Here's the problem though.

If your room mate gets himself IP banned I'm pretty sure that's going to affect you as well.

How you guys act will affect the other if you are sharing the same IP.  I'm not saying it's "fair" it's just how IP bans work.

1/10/13 6:13 AM
DreamerMMA

Anderson Emelianenko GOAT - 

you can't say rules are rules and have them enforced sparingly. getting frozen for that is a joke.

if rules are rules then everyone who calls ANY greennamer ANY name should be frozen, even the jokers like OMA. but that will NEVER happen, it'd just highlight the glaring problems with the Terms of Service, have a whole score of posters start emailing the mods/admins about why they were frozen and show how sparingly it was used.

and then again there's the vote down freezing rule. I know you have no control over that but having PAYING members get frozen for having an opinion people don't agree with is fucking ridiculous.

it has nothing to do with getting a free pass for having a blue name, the vote down freezing policy just has to go. there's a thread about a guy who got frozen by vote downs for making a thread about hunting squirrels, LMFAO. guess the OG really loves their squirrels.

As far as the squirrel thread I already addressed this on the thread that OP made regarding this issue.

Another guy with a trollish rap sheet, multiple screen names and 4 freezings from vote downs in the last 2 days.  Seems he was also rude to other members and insulting to them.  This is a good way to get voted down and frozen.  Mods have no control over that.

People should talk to each other as they would in real life.  If someone would punch you in the face IRL for what you are saying then don't say it here.  People cannot kick your ass here but they can vote you down until you are frozen.  Not only that, they can stack those freezings so if you get enough you can literally get frozen for days.  Consider it a cyber ass beating if you will and it's often well deserved.

1/10/13 6:15 AM
simonpe

DreamerMMA -

If your room mate gets himself IP banned I'm pretty sure that's going to affect you as well.

How you guys act will affect the other if you are sharing the same IP.  I'm not saying it's "fair" it's just how IP bans work.

In that case IP bans shouldnt be used IMO Phone Post
1/10/13 6:23 AM
Silhouette
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so how does an IP ban work for say someone posting from a college campus?

I used to come to this site in my downtime at school all the time, say i was a cocksucker and got banned, does this ban the whole campus?

i really dont know how any of that works
1/10/13 6:46 AM
DreamerMMA

nick diaz nut hugger - 
DreamerMMA -

I understand and hopefully he won't get us both IP banned.

Can you find out about my other two freezes - for nick Diaz nut hugger (me)?
The last two times this sn was frozen Phone Post

On 12/22/12 you were frozen for 48 hours for bashing Jeff Sherwood.  That's all the notes I have on that one.

On 12/17/12 you were frozen for "trolling repeatedly" for 60 hours.

1/10/13 6:47 AM
simonpe

Either nick diaz nut hugger is telling the truth about his IP problem or this the greatest whitewash of all time lol Phone Post
1/10/13 6:51 AM
DreamerMMA

I understand and sympathize with the IP banning problem but I doubt that's going to change.  I can't really think of a good alternative to banning trolls but then again I'm not an expert on that sort of thing either.

It sucks when you are sharing a network.  I'm on a shared network myself at a dorm in a national park.  My girlfriend also is a member and posts here.  She's pretty chill though so I'm not worried about her getting me in trouble.  The admins are also aware of this fact so they aren't thinking I have multiple screen names.

1/10/13 6:53 AM
HexRei

nick diaz nut hugger - 
Silhouette - so how does an IP ban work for say someone posting from a college campus?

I used to come to this site in my downtime at school all the time, say i was a cocksucker and got banned, does this ban the whole campus?

i really dont know how any of that works
EXACTLY. If it's coming from the same modem, which it most likely is, all 300 people (for example) might post under the same IP address.

IP address just means "internet provider" address. Anyone using that modem is using that IP

SO if an IP ban I s issued in a dorm for example with 300 people sharing the same modem(unlikely, but possible), they.could all get banned because any time anyone tries to log on, that IP will be blocked Phone Post

It actually means "internet protocol" address...
1/10/13 6:54 AM
DreamerMMA

simonpe - 
DreamerMMA -

In that case IP bans shouldnt be used IMO Phone Post

How do you suggest we do it then?

Banning screen names is pointless because you can simply create another and come right back.

Even IP bans don't always work as there is software out there that allows you to change your IP.

1/10/13 6:54 AM
Pat Giles
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ahhh. The "roommate". Of course. Easiest deflection ever. You were busted. You have 2 sn. Phone Post
1/10/13 7:05 AM
DreamerMMA

I'm not worried about the room mate thing.  I can accept that response.  Won't change anything if one of you trolls a lot though cause it will get both names banned anyway.  I'll take your word for it though.

I don't know what to tell you about the freezings.  I wasn't the moderator involved and don't really remember who was although I do recall a conversation about both of these freezings among the mods earlier.

Joking around is all well and good but tone and sarcasm don't always translate well on the internet.  While some mods may know you and your personality others may not and just take what you say at face value.

For what it's worth I didn't know bashing Jeff Sherwood would get you in trouble.  He is pretty big in the MMA world though so he's basically a VIP like Joe Rogan or Eddie Bravo so I imagine he gets some protection for that reason alone.

As fas as the misunderstanding with Snapple.  I don't really know anything about it and I can't speak for Snapple or the admins, that's something you'd have to take up with him.

1/10/13 7:06 AM
Rival School

If you guys want to talk the Lloyd Irvin stuff go to the Atama thread where it first broke and is still not frozen Phone Post
1/10/13 7:13 AM
DreamerMMA

Anderson Emelianenko GOAT - and one last thing dreamer, about me getting frozen for calling HELWIG an idiot.

in the log that'd show up as me fighter bashing, right?

so basically I would get lumped in with idiots like Canadian Psycho who called BecHyatt and Felice attention whores, or an idiot (hypothetically) who bashed Joe Lauzon and called him a can.

you don't see the flaw in me getting lumped in with those actual fighter bashers, just for calling HELWIG an idiot?

Wether or not I see a flaw in that logic doesn't matter much.  I don't make the rules, I just enforce them and I had nothing to do with this particular issue.

I see Helwig go back and forth with members all the time and I've never seen him cry to a mod for help so I don't really care when other members talk back to him.  Maybe not all mods are as familiar with Helwig as I am.  As I said before though, it's a judgement call and we all make them different.  Helwig is a green namer and bashing them is against TOS all the mods know that, not all of them have the same attitude or experience I or another mod may have though as it's a mixed bag with us mods. 

My advice is if you see something you don't like from a green namer then think before you post and if you think it may get you in trouble simply vote them down and move on.  If you are going to criticise a pro then use some tact and present an intelligent case or be prepared to be dismissed as a troll.  That's just the way it is around here.

Helwig is Helwig, he is pretty predictable, he is opinionated and doesn't mind a flame war and some people know how to push his buttons.   Just ignore him rather than putting yourself in a bad situation.

I dont' know what else to tell you really.

1/10/13 7:17 AM
DreamerMMA

nick diaz nut hugger -  Before we even discuss how to ban, Dreamer, I think we should look at how we should change the mod notification process. I truly believe that members who get frozen should at least get a message saying how long they will be frozen.

Also, if possible, an explanation to avoid people getting frustrated with lack of communication. The first mod that actually froze me was Snapple, and then he sent me a message explaining everything and the time I would be frozen.

I responded telling him my side of the story, and he was appreciative and unfroze me immediately Phone Post

I believe in mod accountability as well but I don't make the rules.  Mods are told we don't have to explain to anyone why they are frozen/banned.  That is a decision that was made at the admin/owner level so it's something you'd have to talk to them about.

Again, most mods do tell people why they took action.  The reason we don't have to though is probably all the trolls. 

If I find the same person trolling constantly I'm not going to bother sending them a memo everytime I freeze them or something.  They know they are trolls and don't give a fuck.  They want attention and love trolling mods and wasting our time. 

Most mods are like this.  We will gladly help members with issues and will usually explain why we took action but if we keep seeing your name popping up don't be surprised to find yourself frozen with no explanation if not outright banned.

1/10/13 7:40 AM
DreamerMMA

nick diaz nut hugger - 

and this screen name, nick diaz nut hugger, has only been frozen three times. The first time I was immediately unfrozen by Snapple, and the second and third times are what I'm bitching about now.

As for my roommate, I can tell him to stop doing stupid shit on here, but he's an adult and I can't control him.

I'm looking at your mod log and is shows you being frozen 5 times total.  It looks like 3 mods got you on the same day for the same thing so I guess technically you are right, 3 times total.

One of them notes that they tried to send you a message but you don't accept PM's from anyone who isn't a friend.  This is something you can fix in your account settings.

In fact, I can't tell you how many members I've seen cry loudly on these forums about mods not explaining things only to find that member doesn't accept PM's. 

It's frustrating to the mods and makes the poster look idiotic.

1/10/13 7:51 AM
DreamerMMA

nick diaz nut hugger - 
DreamerMMA -

I'm not worried about the room mate thing.  I can accept that response.  Won't change anything if one of you trolls a lot though cause it will get both names banned anyway.  I'll take your word for it though.

I don't know what to tell you about the freezings.  I wasn't the moderator involved and don't really remember who was although I do recall a conversation about both of these freezings among the mods earlier.

Joking around is all well and good but tone and sarcasm don't always translate well on the internet.  While some mods may know you and your personality others may not and just take what you say at face value.

For what it's worth I didn't know bashing Jeff Sherwood would get you in trouble.  He is pretty big in the MMA world though so he's basically a VIP like Joe Rogan or Eddie Bravo so I imagine he gets some protection for that reason alone.

As fas as the misunderstanding with Snapple.  I don't really know anything about it and I can't speak for Snapple or the admins, that's something you'd have to take up with him.

Thanks, Dreamer. It's honestly the most informative piece of information ever that I've gotten from a mod. VTFU when I'm at my comp.

I agree a mod shouldn't have to email everyone on an issue because there are way too many fucking trolls and they're not worth the explanation.

I'll email Kirik and Jason my suggestions about the other stuff

Thanks again for all the explanation Phone Post

No worries.

1/10/13 8:00 AM
Olive Garden Table For One
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dreamer, I get frozen more than a Siberian for no good reason ever. I bet if you check the mod log, you probably see that a mod is stalking my threads looking to be offended.

I had years of posts deleted over nothing. Sup with that? Phone Post
1/10/13 8:08 AM
CindyO

DreamerMMA - 
nick diaz nut hugger - 
nick diaz nut hugger - 

Having multiple screen names is a bannable offense.  I hope you have a good explanation.

Then why isn't he banned?

Cindy

1/10/13 8:13 AM
HexRei

CindyO - 
DreamerMMA - 
nick diaz nut hugger - 
nick diaz nut hugger - 

Then why isn't he banned?

Cindy

Multiple screennames using 1 IP is not proof that it is one person using multiple screennames.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.