UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Keenan's fathers letter (copy and pasted)

1/16/13 11:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
reverend john
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello MMA.com, I'm Tom Callos, Keenan and Chloe's dad, a 40 year MA practitioner, the last 18+ being in BJJ (mostly) but received my 6th dan from Master Teacher Ernie Reyes, Sr. of San Jose, CA, and a long time school owner/teacher/activist working within the international martial arts community.

For those of you who don't know me, I've been working behind the scenes for nearly 30 years now in the MA teacher's community. I've owned schools, all Ernie Reyes West Coast Schools, most of which are still in business and teaching people the Reyes brand of eclectic, character and performance based martial arts. I've retired from daily teaching, although I still take lessons in BJJ, and I've retired from engaging in school management, although I have, for the last 10+ years, been operating my school and think-tank for teachers of the martial arts --called The 100.

FYI, The 100. was founded based on a correspondence I once had with Ms. Rosa Parks. I had written her a letter and she responded with a 2 page hand-written letter --and, well, it (further) endeared me to her (of course!). One day a few years later I was thinking about her --and wondering if I might ever do something as important as her simple act of protest and I thought, no, I probably wouldn't or couldn't. But I imagined that 100 martial arts teachers, life-timers, might; 100 of us might, given the right subject and good timing, stand up for things that would make our collective efforts something akin to Ms. Rosa's. We haven't managed it yet, but that's the spirit my current work was started with.

We have, however, managed to bring some fine ideas and projects to the table, projects involving anger management, environmental self-defense, community activism, teen suicide prevention, dietary self-defense, bully prevention education, and other non-combative education-based subjects. We stand collectively, I believe, for truth in advertising, transparent pricing, and ethical, sane, and sustainable business practices in the martial arts community.

As for Mr. Avellon (sp?), well, I don't really know who he is (beyond his posts and advertising), what he's done of any significance, or what's wrong with him, but his letters to me have asked if I was retarded, asked me if I was going to continue to carry on like a little girl, and other such bullying tactics --and when I forwarded them to Lloyd to suggest he teach his young student some manners, I got a 30 minute ranting phone call from Lloyd that ended my faith in his coaching, my respect for his intellect, and any desire to cultivate a relationship --on any level --with the man. It was very strange, to say the least (but not half as strange as the sad and thuggish letters I received from MA).

And all of this occurred before all of this other sad nonsense revealed itself. After the rapes and hearing that Keenan's house was broken into by the SWAT team in full riot gear and that Keenan was pushed to the ground, handcuffed, that guns were pointed at him, and that he was taken to jail for questioning, I wanted my son out of there. Keenan told us those two boys who raped that poor girl bragged about it and had taken video on one or more of their cell phones. At that point, I went into full protection mode --and went public with our family's feelings about the disgusting, troubling, and crazy goings on there in MD.

These guys don't need my help in destroying their own reputations or revealing to us what sits behind their work. They're doing a fine job at telling us who they are and what they stand for. It's sad and it's very bad for the martial arts community. I regret, now, engaging with competitive BJJ and introducing my son to this sort of thinking and depravity. BJ Penn is my friend, a former student and training partner, and a teacher of mine, and despite his complete immersion in fight culture, he has managed to retain his integrity, to stand up as a role model of effort and community involvement, and even in defeat, he has carried himself like a champion. I can't say the same for these morally questionable young "instructor-thugs."

That they almost all represent themselves, thru products and hype, as things they are (obviously) anything but, that they have so poorly handled this entire tragedy, that they have engaged in so much stomach churning misogyny and even attacked my daughter's stand on rape and concern for her brother, well, its all becoming quite laughable, I think.

Keenan is a smart young man, raised well, and conscientious about his practice. I don't want to see this collective lack of character and intelligence stain him as he proceeds with his martial arts and life journey. I also recognize that, until things went so bad, they didn't seem "that" bad, but now, knowing what we all know, how can we sit idle and not expect the men and women bright enough to recognize what's going on and to see who is driving the bus, to look for greener pastures?

I still find it hard to believe this has all happened. The only benefit to anyone in all of this mess is what it's taught us, through the revealing behavior of their "team," what this organization is, apparently, constructed of. Shame.

I offer praise to my brave daughter, Chloe, for speaking up, publicly. I'd like to see 1000 more women/men step up and set the record straight about what rape is --and why we don't keep it quiet, tolerate it, or support those who commit it.
1/16/13 11:44 AM
flee76
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Respect to Tom. Thanks for posting.
1/16/13 11:47 AM
Letibleu
1716 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no dick & fart jokes can be done here, moving along.

1/16/13 11:52 AM
cheesesteak
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

reverend john - Hello MMA.com, I'm Tom Callos, Keenan and Chloe's dad, a 40 year MA practitioner, the last 18+ being in BJJ (mostly) but received my 6th dan from Master Teacher Ernie Reyes, Sr. of San Jose, CA, and a long time school owner/teacher/activist working within the international martial arts community.

For those of you who don't know me, I've been working behind the scenes for nearly 30 years now in the MA teacher's community. I've owned schools, all Ernie Reyes West Coast Schools, most of which are still in business and teaching people the Reyes brand of eclectic, character and performance based martial arts. I've retired from daily teaching, although I still take lessons in BJJ, and I've retired from engaging in school management, although I have, for the last 10+ years, been operating my school and think-tank for teachers of the martial arts --called The 100.

FYI, The 100. was founded based on a correspondence I once had with Ms. Rosa Parks. I had written her a letter and she responded with a 2 page hand-written letter --and, well, it (further) endeared me to her (of course!). One day a few years later I was thinking about her --and wondering if I might ever do something as important as her simple act of protest and I thought, no, I probably wouldn't or couldn't. But I imagined that 100 martial arts teachers, life-timers, might; 100 of us might, given the right subject and good timing, stand up for things that would make our collective efforts something akin to Ms. Rosa's. We haven't managed it yet, but that's the spirit my current work was started with.

We have, however, managed to bring some fine ideas and projects to the table, projects involving anger management, environmental self-defense, community activism, teen suicide prevention, dietary self-defense, bully prevention education, and other non-combative education-based subjects. We stand collectively, I believe, for truth in advertising, transparent pricing, and ethical, sane, and sustainable business practices in the martial arts community.

As for Mr. Avellon (sp?), well, I don't really know who he is (beyond his posts and advertising), what he's done of any significance, or what's wrong with him, but his letters to me have asked if I was retarded, asked me if I was going to continue to carry on like a little girl, and other such bullying tactics --and when I forwarded them to Lloyd to suggest he teach his young student some manners, I got a 30 minute ranting phone call from Lloyd that ended my faith in his coaching, my respect for his intellect, and any desire to cultivate a relationship --on any level --with the man. It was very strange, to say the least (but not half as strange as the sad and thuggish letters I received from MA).

And all of this occurred before all of this other sad nonsense revealed itself. After the rapes and hearing that Keenan's house was broken into by the SWAT team in full riot gear and that Keenan was pushed to the ground, handcuffed, that guns were pointed at him, and that he was taken to jail for questioning, I wanted my son out of there. Keenan told us those two boys who raped that poor girl bragged about it and had taken video on one or more of their cell phones. At that point, I went into full protection mode --and went public with our family's feelings about the disgusting, troubling, and crazy goings on there in MD.

These guys don't need my help in destroying their own reputations or revealing to us what sits behind their work. They're doing a fine job at telling us who they are and what they stand for. It's sad and it's very bad for the martial arts community. I regret, now, engaging with competitive BJJ and introducing my son to this sort of thinking and depravity. BJ Penn is my friend, a former student and training partner, and a teacher of mine, and despite his complete immersion in fight culture, he has managed to retain his integrity, to stand up as a role model of effort and community involvement, and even in defeat, he has carried himself like a champion. I can't say the same for these morally questionable young "instructor-thugs."

That they almost all represent themselves, thru products and hype, as things they are (obviously) anything but, that they have so poorly handled this entire tragedy, that they have engaged in so much stomach churning misogyny and even attacked my daughter's stand on rape and concern for her brother, well, its all becoming quite laughable, I think.

Keenan is a smart young man, raised well, and conscientious about his practice. I don't want to see this collective lack of character and intelligence stain him as he proceeds with his martial arts and life journey. I also recognize that, until things went so bad, they didn't seem "that" bad, but now, knowing what we all know, how can we sit idle and not expect the men and women bright enough to recognize what's going on and to see who is driving the bus, to look for greener pastures?

I still find it hard to believe this has all happened. The only benefit to anyone in all of this mess is what it's taught us, through the revealing behavior of their "team," what this organization is, apparently, constructed of. Shame.

I offer praise to my brave daughter, Chloe, for speaking up, publicly. I'd like to see 1000 more women/men step up and set the record straight about what rape is --and why we don't keep it quiet, tolerate it, or support those who commit it.

Amen rev!
1/16/13 11:55 AM
X_Rated
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Heineken Man - 1. Don't drag Rosa Parks into this.
2. Don't drag BJJ into this.
3. Don't pretend BJ Penn is your student.

...what?

1/16/13 11:56 AM
Dire
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Heineken Man - 1. Don't drag Rosa Parks into this.

BJ was his student,

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/core/pagetools.php?pageid=7901&url=%2FHonolulu-Magazine%2FSeptember-2010%2FBJ-Penn-Outside-the-Octagon%2F&mode=print

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/images/2010/Sep10/PHYF-2-Callos&Penn_JM.jpg

Even says that he was BJs first teacher, now he trains under BJ in BJJ...

1/16/13 11:57 AM
bjjmosh24
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Heineken Man - 1. Don't drag Rosa Parks into this.
The fuck are you talking about? Phone Post
1/16/13 12:02 PM
jude099
579 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He said/she said. How did Rosa Parks get involved?!

1/16/13 12:06 PM
Munk

Excellent.
1/16/13 12:33 PM
disbeliever
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Very well written out letter. Wow
1/16/13 12:41 PM
MattBenwa
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome letter - lets see if Marcos comes back with anything now.
1/16/13 12:44 PM
Black Belt Wrestling

All that matters is that we say "MASTER" when talking about L.I. !!!
1/16/13 12:51 PM
TakesKawkFromSEAHAWKS
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's really sad is most people on the UG don't give a shit. A majority of people don't train, a majority here don't even read articles that are written and just come into threads blurting out random things or something like subbing to a thread or quoting and saying THIS.

This whole scandal has taught us that TLI head instructors or leaders or whatever you'd like to call them are classless human beings. Phone Post
1/16/13 1:04 PM
reverend john
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From what I have heard Keenan is not leaving

rev
1/16/13 1:22 PM
6ULDV8
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His second post was amazing too:

tomcallos - Hey, fellow forum participants, I am compelled to make one more statement before going to dinner and pushing a little more of this nastiness out of my/our lives:

If this whole affair disgusts or in any way troubles you, tomorrow morning call your local rape-crises center and offer to volunteer --in whatever capacity they might need volunteers for. Let's stop trashing --and start helping. 

There are only a handful, I believe, of martial arts schools --or for that matter, sensei, in the nation who genuinely understand and TEACH rape prevention to any degree that makes sense or really might make a difference. But we could do it. All of us could. 

Step # 1 is do the research. Talk to people who understand rape and work on behalf of prevention in your community. Use this tragedy to launch our communities most massive, important, non-commercial, grass-roots movement to bring the martial arts world up to speed on the issues.

Seek out and post the contact info for men and women who have already done their homework --and activists working in the world on behalf of the rights of others. This time next year, let's have many of you sitting at the table in your community with the other committed, educated, proactive, passionate teachers working on rape prevention --so we don't have to deal with so much therapy after-the-fact. 

And please, rape prevention is, as I understand it, only 10% or less physical technique. Your rape prevention should not be made up, only, of what to do when confronted with a physical assault. There's more to it. 

Let's make the rape of these women stand for something, so that their shame and pain becomes the catalyst for a landmark educational effort on behalf of any community we happen to live in. That would turn all of this bullshit into something we can make sense of. 
Tom Callos
1/16/13 1:23 PM
6ULDV8
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

reverend john - From what I have heard Keenan is not leaving

rev

Was posted in another thread that he blocked his family on facebook and the girl that was just raped is staying with TLI.

Hopefully both of those change in the long run.  

1/16/13 1:24 PM
Stache
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very nice letter by Tom. There were a few gems lost when that thread was deleted.
1/16/13 1:24 PM
UGCTT_mojodmonky
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks for posting rev
1/16/13 1:25 PM
cheesesteak
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rev

Wow...So TLI have manipulates the kid into thinking his family are just haters...He is going to choose a bjj team over his family.

I hope every time Keenan throws up the LI sign he gets booed. He could go to so many teams...It's a shame.
1/16/13 1:27 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder if Keenan has a contract that is keeping him from leaving Phone Post
1/16/13 1:28 PM
Cojendo
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are the perpetrators in custody at the moment?

Thank you Tom for speaking out about this so soon and I pray that your daughter will fully recover. Phone Post
1/16/13 1:29 PM
disbeliever
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Wait, Keenan blocked his family on Facebook?
1/16/13 1:29 PM
BradGluckman
692 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

disbeliever - Wait, Keenan blocked his family on Facebook?

Yep pretty sad

1/16/13 1:34 PM
Daredevil73
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously, this is a cult. Not a BJJ team. You have a "Master." They isolate you from their family and tell you that they are your family now. They control what you can or can't say. It's scary. Just plain scary.
1/16/13 1:34 PM
UGCTT Molsonmuscle360
303 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheesesteak - 

rev

Wow...So TLI have manipulates the kid into thinking his family are just haters...He is going to choose a bjj team over his family.

I hope every time Keenan throws up the LI sign he gets booed. He could go to so many teams...It's a shame.

They have to have some sort of dirt on the kid,.  You wouldn't think that a kid would choose a group of people, which includes rapists over his own family.  That's pretty messed up.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.