UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Nick Newell: I'd like my equal opportunity too

1/16/13 2:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mat Santos
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When he started fighting, each commission tried to bar him, eventually he would fight and win. If I am remembering correctly, he is undefeated as an ammy too. There are definitely a few current roster lightweights that he can beat. It would be fine if Dana said "he isn't ready yet" but instead he is flat-out discriminating him.
1/16/13 2:50 PM
Naderhood
809 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Internettufguy -
Naderhood -  The 2 obvious shills are doing what they're paid to do.

Why does Nick need a glove on his arm? It's an elbow. He has one gloved hand and one elbow. When he spars he wears a pad on it so he can throw it like a punch but in a fight, he's throwing a legit elbow. No need for 2 gloves.

Hopefully Nick will post here as he is a UGer.

Why would Nick need to be able to cover up against Guillard when he can shoot on him and submit him if he wanted to? Phone Post

Oooh shill, good one!

First off, Nader, my post was in no way negative toward Nick or his abilities, so I don't know how you took it that way. Second, I said the glove thing was a gray area for me. Well wait, I am just gonna copy what you just said:

"Why does Nick need a glove on his arm? It's an elbow. He has one gloved hand and one elbow."

Now here is what is listed on Nick's Wiki page:

"He is well known for being a one-armed fighter, with his left arm ending JUST AFTER THE ELBOW, meaning he has no left hand and does not have MOST of his left forearm."

Let me interpret the English language for you: ith ish notiz justish aniz elbowiz.

Not every strike with that arm has been thrown like a traditional elbow. He has the bone of the elbow to land, and also the shortened bone in his forearm - also hard like elbow - to land with. Also, even thrown like a traditional elbow it is an advantage because he does not have to worry about his forearm/hand hindering the range of motion, ie someone using wrist control to limit elbow strikes from the mount or even clinch.

Nick is a good fighter, he is just gonna have a hard time proving it.

Oh yeah, ZUFFA IS THE FUCKING SHIZZ AND EVERYTHING ELSE SHITS THE BED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do u know I was talking about you? I was addressing several points made by several different people in my one post.

I don't even know WTF point you're making about the elbow so I'll let somebody who may have a clue about wtf you're saying address it.

And yes, Zuffa is the amazingest, I know Phone Post
1/16/13 2:54 PM
Naderhood
809 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, Wikipedia is the official database of all that is correct. From Wikipedia "we have never made an error, ever".

I don't know what the official standpoint is from a medical perspective, but I'm sure Wikipedia is not licensed to practice medicine in any way. Phone Post
1/16/13 2:55 PM
PJ Benn Fan
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Internettufguy - 
Naderhood -  The 2 obvious shills are doing what they're paid to do.

Why does Nick need a glove on his arm? It's an elbow. He has one gloved hand and one elbow. When he spars he wears a pad on it so he can throw it like a punch but in a fight, he's throwing a legit elbow. No need for 2 gloves.

Hopefully Nick will post here as he is a UGer.

Why would Nick need to be able to cover up against Guillard when he can shoot on him and submit him if he wanted to? Phone Post

Oooh shill, good one!

First off, Nader, my post was in no way negative toward Nick or his abilities, so I don't know how you took it that way. Second, I said the glove thing was a gray area for me. Well wait, I am just gonna copy what you just said:

"Why does Nick need a glove on his arm? It's an elbow. He has one gloved hand and one elbow."

Now here is what is listed on Nick's Wiki page:

"He is well known for being a one-armed fighter, with his left arm ending JUST AFTER THE ELBOW, meaning he has no left hand and does not have MOST of his left forearm."

Let me interpret the English language for you: ith ish notiz justish aniz elbowiz.

Not every strike with that arm has been thrown like a traditional elbow. He has the bone of the elbow to land, and also the shortened bone in his forearm - also hard like elbow - to land with. Also, even thrown like a traditional elbow it is an advantage because he does not have to worry about his forearm/hand hindering the range of motion, ie someone using wrist control to limit elbow strikes from the mount or even clinch.

Nick is a good fighter, he is just gonna have a hard time proving it.

Oh yeah, ZUFFA IS THE FUCKING SHIZZ AND EVERYTHING ELSE SHITS THE BED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Legit LOL @ the english language part!

1/16/13 3:09 PM
mghan44
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ajl416az - dude looks tough, but lets be realistic

if he wasn't handicapped, nobody would have ever heard of him. thats a fact.

his technical skills do not warrant the buzz or UFC talk he is getting at this stage of his career. he's got some skills, he's tough and he overcomes his handicap to beat low level guys.

but hes beaten like 3 guys with winning records, plus he fights for small organizations that stand to have extra financial gains if he gets winnable fights (i.e. free promotion from Dana White talking about their headliner

i don't doubt that he's tough (although, LOL at automatically assuming he can beat Melvin Guillard when he can't even cover body and head at the same time)

but the way for normal people to get to the UFC is a win over someone with a name, or a competitive showing against them. its no different for this dude.
talking won't change Dana's mind, only money. and he loses money if he lets a handicapped guy get killed on his watch, so the kid has to prove that he can beat UFC level fighters. and not some washed up old man either

He is 9-0 with 8 first round finishes...PLENTY of fighters have entered the UFC with less impressive records. He subbed Eric Reynolds in the first round, the same Eric Reynolds that went into the 3rd round with Jorge Masvidal and Eddie Alvarez, two world class LWs. Jon Jones had a less impressive record when entering the UFC, and Josh Barnett and Daniel Cormier just fought similar caliber fighters to Reynolds this past weekend.

No one is complaining that Newell isn't in the UFC, they are complaining that Dana White is dismissing the possibility, which is bullshit. If he keeps fighting well, then not allowing him to fight in the UFC based on a handicap (that really hasn't proven to be one quite yet) is discrimination - plain and simple.

While he hasn't fought any world beaters, he has convincingly beaten a few fighters that are definitely not pushovers. Many guys have gotten into the UFC with less.
1/16/13 3:21 PM
Naderhood

mghan44 -
ajl416az - dude looks tough, but lets be realistic

if he wasn't handicapped, nobody would have ever heard of him. thats a fact.

his technical skills do not warrant the buzz or UFC talk he is getting at this stage of his career. he's got some skills, he's tough and he overcomes his handicap to beat low level guys.

but hes beaten like 3 guys with winning records, plus he fights for small organizations that stand to have extra financial gains if he gets winnable fights (i.e. free promotion from Dana White talking about their headliner

i don't doubt that he's tough (although, LOL at automatically assuming he can beat Melvin Guillard when he can't even cover body and head at the same time)

but the way for normal people to get to the UFC is a win over someone with a name, or a competitive showing against them. its no different for this dude.
talking won't change Dana's mind, only money. and he loses money if he lets a handicapped guy get killed on his watch, so the kid has to prove that he can beat UFC level fighters. and not some washed up old man either

He is 9-0 with 8 first round finishes...PLENTY of fighters have entered the UFC with less impressive records. He subbed Eric Reynolds in the first round, the same Eric Reynolds that went into the 3rd round with Jorge Masvidal and Eddie Alvarez, two world class LWs. Jon Jones had a less impressive record when entering the UFC, and Josh Barnett and Daniel Cormier just fought similar caliber fighters to Reynolds this past weekend.

No one is complaining that Newell isn't in the UFC, they are complaining that Dana White is dismissing the possibility, which is bullshit. If he keeps fighting well, then not allowing him to fight in the UFC based on a handicap (that really hasn't proven to be one quite yet) is discrimination - plain and simple.

While he hasn't fought any world beaters, he has convincingly beaten a few fighters that are definitely not pushovers. Many guys have gotten into the UFC with less.
Boom Phone Post
1/16/13 3:25 PM
MasterofMartialArts
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye - Nick: "The only tool i don't have is a straight left...some guys can't kick and they're allowed to fight in the UFC. With no feet!"

Ariel: "...yeah and some guys have bad head movement..."

Nick: "Yeah! They let headless guys fight in the UFC, too!" Phone Post
LOL Phone Post
1/16/13 4:09 PM
Son of Neckbone
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he is dominant over the b-level competition, I don't see why BLAF wouldn't consider it. When he fields these questions at a press conference, likely he is going to get a picture in his head of a one-armed fighter, which isn't accurate, and make a snap judgment based on that.

Nick Newell is a one-handed fighter, not one-armed. He has an elbow and portion of the forearm intact, and seems to perform very well with it.

If DFWJR paid attention to him, he is absolutely a candidate for a TUF spot at the very least,
1/16/13 4:14 PM
mestregruber
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, Newell knows people try to take advantage of his missing hand, and uses it to set up counters. That's how he knocked out David Mays. Phone Post
1/16/13 4:24 PM
Son of Neckbone
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, the most beautiful aspect of fighting is that the proof is in the puddin. If you smash enough people, you will get into the big show.

Does he have a nickname yet? "The One-Armed Fighter" is pretty clunky.

Best of luck.
1/16/13 4:37 PM
canofsticks
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Personally I think Maynard's tramp stamp is far more of an issue than this dude's hand.
1/16/13 5:02 PM
Smellde Gluve
610 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder how other fighters feel if they catch one of his arms in an armbar with an opportunity to break it?

That's the first fight of his I've seen and he looked great so to me as a fan it'd be great seeing him in the UFC if he's on that level.

Not sure if it's safe for business though. Maybe it is.

1/16/13 5:19 PM
ajl416az
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/16/13 5:22 PM
some of you are bitching like little girls. talking about 'haters'. how old are you children?
this is the same ignorance of reality as the people who bitch that Jon Fitch or some other boring dude isn't getting title shots

PROFESSIONAL sports are about money

and this guy getting KOed on TV will cost Dana money, through negative promotion and media.

so until he goes way out of his way to prove he won't get killed, he ain't goin anywhere

nobody's saying the guy has no talent or that he's fighting guys like Shannon the Cannon

but he has less then 5 wins over guys with winning records, so he still has work to do.

however, counting how fast he beat a guy that lost to Eddie Alvarez and Jorge Masvidal (3 YEARS AGO) is completely irrelevant.
the length of the fight means literally nothing.
styles dictate the type of fight that will occur, and Nick is physically incapable of fighting like Masvidal or Alvarez.
1/16/13 6:03 PM
CaptChaos
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lotta ignorance on this thread imo.
Fight Matrix has Newell ranked at 122. He's a head of guys like Rafaello Oliveira, Mike Rio, Spencer Fisher, Chiesa, Terry Etim, Danny Downes, the list goes on...

The UFC has most of the best fighters but not all of them. Outside of the top tier guys theer are a lot of UFC fighters that can be beat by guys in regional shows. Sometimes it comes down to timing, catching a break, being ready to take a fight when called, etc...

I'm tired of hearing about the guy's "disability." In a way I like when people discredit him cause the dude is just gonna get motivated from that.

I think if you ask Nick if he'd rather fight with 1 or 2 arms he'd probably pick 2 but having 1 arm gives him some unique advantages...
#1 - He can be a little bigger at his weight class. He can probably be 4 pounds heavier at LW because of 1 arm.
#2 - I'm sure it throws guys off when they go for hand control or grab the wrists
#3 - Guys are worried about losing to a guy with 1 arm
#4 - His subs are different than everyone elses cause of his arm position
#5 - An opponent may think he has an advantage in some areas but might not
The ist goes on.
Look Dana has done an amzing job. He's a workaholic and he has a Passion for the sport. That's what makes him succesful but he doesn't know everything. I can talk shop with the best of them. I know this sport prety darn well too!
I think he will keep doing well and 1 day the kid will get his shot! I like him cause he's an exciting fighter and he handles all the 1 arm comments and conversations with a lot of class and coolness!
I don't see how anyone can kock the kid. He's doing a great job period let alone with 1 arm!
1/16/13 7:28 PM
Tolstolobic

If he want to bang....

Let him bang bro Phone Post
1/16/13 7:37 PM
TheRealMrBeefy

Nick needs to be signes to the UFC as soon as his current contract is up. He is an animal!

I admit, I didn't know what to think because of his disability, but all doubt vanished as I watched a couple of his fights. He fought to destroy all of his opponents as soon as the first bell rang. Dana wants finishers? He should give Nick a chance.

I hope a thread has been started petitioning Dana to sign him, if there isn't one then someone needs to start one. I'd sign that shit in a heartbeat. Phone Post
1/16/13 8:41 PM
extnct1

He has a gimmick of having one arm... Brock has a gimmick of being a gorilla...either way Brock wasn't only given a shot but flung to the top.. he descended just as fast and some ppl want him in the HOF... I say Nick deserves a shot... No straight left no big deal... The former heavyweight champ is only a boxer Phone Post
1/16/13 8:43 PM
extnct1

I'm referring to JDS not Brock when I say the former champ that's only a boxer... Phone Post
1/16/13 8:55 PM
n3g
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I trained with the kid for going on 5 years. He is legit and should be given a chance to compete with the best.
1/16/13 9:09 PM
extnct1

Yeah that really mattered the 11 times he was on his back 2 weeks ago Phone Post
1/16/13 9:57 PM
ChaosOverkill
551 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana is pretty ignorant on this one

1/16/13 10:24 PM
AnthonyMMA
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isn't that a piece of bone sticking out of his left arm? Phone Post
1/16/13 10:54 PM
Letibleu
1662 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If there is a TUF lightweight coming up, stick him on it. Otherwise, test him against another new UFC lightweight. if he wins, treat him like any other fighter.

Besides, at least he isnt deaf or something. Oh wait...

1/16/13 10:55 PM
Masakyst
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TartanTopTeamsHeroinWhore -  Not being disrespectful but shouldn't he have to put a glove of sorts on the end of the left arm? Phone Post

Why? It's just an elbow, and fighters strike with bare elbows all the time.

Gloves are there to protect the hands of the puncher. I don't think Nick needs to worry about breaking any fingers.
1/16/13 11:02 PM
Knuckle Punch
342 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why not give the dude a shot? He trains, he fights & he wins. He knows what he's getting himself into and has done well so far. If he gets his ass kicked I doubt he would say it was unfair or try for any sympathy.

Guys got heart to do what he does and everyone should be rewarded for their hard work and allowed to work toward their dream.

And I've also learned to tale what dfw says with a grain of salt. If the dude gets better, more people get behind him & licensing is not an issue it would take a really Shitty person to deny him Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.