UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why is Belfort ranked so high still?

1/17/13 12:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
yellow wrkahlc
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's been over 3 years since he scored a Top 10 win at 185 (KO victory over Franklin), yet he's on every Top 10 list I've come across.

• Sherdog - #6
  • FIGHT! Magazine - #3
  • Fight Matrix - #5
  • MMAWeekly - #3
  • ESPN - #5
  • BloodyElbow - #5

I like Belfort, but...why? Were the victories over Akiyama (185) and Johnson (Catchweight 197lbs) enough to maintain his position on the rankings after the loss to Anderson? Surely everyone else on those lists, despite losses to each other, move above him, no?

With a victory over Bisping this Saturday, all of this would become a moot point, but I just wanna understand.

1/17/13 12:21 AM
yellow wrkahlc
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I ask a question nearly everyone asks, and get voted down for it?

1/17/13 12:21 AM
MasterofMartialArts
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thread has been made before and sadly I still haven't got much of a rebuttal.

WHO THE FUCK AM I? Phone Post
1/17/13 12:24 AM
ChaosOverkill
475 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gave you a vote up

1/17/13 12:24 AM
vazzo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Because Dana felt sorry for him after the Anderson Silva fight and that he took the Jones fight on short notice. The UFC brass have a lot of love for the Brazilian sex machine! Phone Post
1/17/13 12:25 AM
yellow wrkahlc

Shit guys, I just want some manswers.

I want point-of-views, I want discussions, I want a full-on brain orgy right about now over this topic.

1/17/13 12:26 AM
yellow wrkahlc

vazzo -  Because Dana felt sorry for him after the Anderson Silva fight and that he took the Jones fight on short notice. The UFC brass have a lot of love for the Brazilian sex machine! Phone Post

But that doesn't explain why every major MMA outlet has him listed so high on the rankings, fren.

1/17/13 12:31 AM
MasterofMartialArts
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He never turns down fights, and is dangerous at two weights. Plus he is a legend and part of the old guard, so I figure Dana has some favoritism towards him. Phone Post
1/17/13 12:34 AM
SasquatchShaman

He has big wins in the past and has not lost to any but Anderson at 185
More importantly, there really aren't many
I have him at 4, excluding Chael,because I can't think of any to put above him.

Weidman has Munoz, maybe Maia and Bisping has maybe 1 with Stann - both before him
Okami has a few, but just got KOed twice
Boetsch just lost low ranked Costa
Costa only has Boetsch
Rockhold's best is Jacare
Jacare's best Herman or Kennedy
Lombard lost to Boetsch

1/17/13 12:36 AM
yellow wrkahlc

But guys, this has nothing to do with Hesus or Dana. 

Dana isn't telling those guys where to put these fighters on the rankings. If Hesus is, then by God, mystery solved.

1/17/13 12:38 AM
SasquatchShaman

Meant to say are not many with top 10 wins
1/17/13 12:39 AM
yellow wrkahlc

Edited: 01/17/13 12:39 AM
SasquatchShaman - He has big wins in the past and has not lost to any but Anderson at 185

Weidman has Munoz, maybe Maia and Bisping has maybe 1 with Stann - both before him
Costa only has Boetsch
Lombard lost to Boetsch

I've thought of this, and even then, I still say all those names should be above him. They're all in the division yearly, racking up wins/losses to their fellow Top 10'ers.

Makes no sense to keep Belfort so high up, just because no one's fought him yet. If anything, he should be beating these guys in order to have a spot on the rankings. It's been well over 3 years, and he still keeps his positioning.

It's mind bottling, frens.

1/17/13 12:43 AM
Joe_Drogan420

The guy came the closest anyone has to beating Jones.
Before that he humbled Rumble Johnnson.
Those are two big, formidable opponents.
I hate to disagree with you yellow, you know you're my boy, but you're wrong on this one.
1/17/13 12:45 AM
yellow wrkahlc

Joe_Drogan420 - The guy came the closest anyone has to beating Jones.
I hate to disagree with you yellow, you know you're my boy, but you're wrong on this one.

Lover, the Jones bout was at 205, and the Rumble fight wasn't even a legitimate middleweight contest. It was rumbleweight.

You know you're my gayby, but you're wrong on this one.

1/17/13 12:47 AM
Joe_Drogan420

yellow wrkahlc - 

Lover, the Jones bout was at 205, and the Rumble fight wasn't even a legitimate middleweight contest. It was rumbleweight.

We shall see Saturday,
Sn bet?
1/17/13 12:54 AM
time traveling 12er
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nostalgia.
1/17/13 12:58 AM
SasquatchShaman

yellow wrkahlc - 
SasquatchShaman - He has big wins in the past and has not lost to any but Anderson at 185

Costa only has Boetsch
Lombard lost to Boetsch

I've thought of this, and even then, I still say all those names should be above him. They're all in the division yearly, racking up wins/losses to their fellow Top 10'ers.

Makes no sense to keep Belfort so high up, just because no one's fought him yet. If anything, he should be beating these guys in order to have a spot on the rankings. It's been well over 3 years, and he still keeps his positioning.

It's mind bottling, frens.

Most rankings are based on their previous rankings, so other fighters loose to not-Anderson, drop down and don't pick up enough wins to pass him.
He sits, less active, and most people don't just start dropping people for not fighting, as long as they are eligible, so he slowly climbs and is now stuck there.
I really have no problem with any ranking that has him much lower, but it is easy to see how he ends up that way.

Aside from his resume, I think many would pick him over guys like Boetsch, Munoz or Okami which doesn't hurt.
1/17/13 1:04 AM
Vulva Fabulous
737 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The same reason why teams like Duke, UConn, Kentucky or Kansas get ranked higher in polls sometimes over teams that are better than them in certain years when they are good, but not elite. Body of work, name recognition and respect. It's very much politics. While he may in fact be lower in the real rankings, years of being on top and knowing that at anytime he can win a fight against anybody gives him favorable rankings in the polls, and is loved by Dana.

Just my opinion. Should he be ranked that high at this current moment based on his recent fights against the elite? No. Can he still go out there and win any fight at multiple weights....even on short notice, as well as putting on a good show? Yes.

Please don't vote me down for my opinion. Just trying to give this discussion a valid argument. Phone Post
1/17/13 1:04 AM
yellow wrkahlc

Joe_Drogan420 - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

We shall see Saturday,
Sn bet?

Already have one for next week's card, but we can do a SN bet for the next card, sir.

1/17/13 1:08 AM
yellow wrkahlc

LilBrockonmychest - The Franklin fight was at a catchweight of 195 too, so that shoud have no bearing on his MW rankings. In the last 4 years, he's beat Akiyama at MW, and that's it.

It was at 195, you're right. Rich was still pretty high up in MW rankings around the time of that bout, so I can see why he brought up on the list so much after he beat him.

But still, it makes no sense how inactivity after a Top 10 win in 2009 and a loss to the champion in 2011 warrants a high ranking in 2013 over everyone else. He should drop for his inactivity at 185, rather than "get stuck".

1/17/13 1:11 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not into rankings based solely on wins and merit, this isn't the BCS. I think he's one of the five best middleweights in the world so I rank him in my top 5.

1/17/13 1:13 AM
yellow wrkahlc

Vulva Fabulous -  The same reason why teams like Duke, UConn, Kentucky or Kansas get ranked higher in polls sometimes over teams that are better than them in certain years when they are good, but not elite. Body of work, name recognition and respect. It's very much politics. While he may in fact be lower in the real rankings, years of being on top and knowing that at anytime he can win a fight against anybody gives him favorable rankings in the polls, and is loved by Dana.

Just my opinion. Should he be ranked that high at this current moment based on his recent fights against the elite? No. Can he still go out there and win any fight at multiple weights....even on short notice, as well as putting on a good show? Yes.

Please don't vote me down for my opinion. Just trying to give this discussion a valid argument. Phone Post

Fucker, I'll vote you up for contributing to the discussion, regardless of opinion.

I will tell you right now, I hate the way collegiate rankings are done. Perfect example to explain this because no matter how you look at the rankings, they're still baffling at times.

We have the same view on the matter. I understand at anytime he could validate his position on the list (ex. Bisping fight on Saturday), but it still escapes me how not one outlet takes him out of the Top 10 to make room for a name that is active in the division throughout the year.

1/17/13 1:14 AM
yellow wrkahlc

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 

I'm not into rankings based solely on wins and merit, this isn't the BCS. I think he's one of the five best middleweights in the world so I rank him in my top 5.

Fuck BCS standings, how Georgia lost to Alabama and got taken completely out of the equation sealed the deal for me.

1/17/13 1:26 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^Last year was even worse, a rematch of a terrible football game in the championship from teams in the same conference. It's probably best I don't get started on the NCAA though, I would go on some rants that would put Thaiguy to shame.

1/17/13 1:42 AM
yellow wrkahlc

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 

^^^Last year was even worse, a rematch of a terrible football game in the championship from teams in the same conference. It's probably best I don't get started on the NCAA though, I would go on some rants that would put Thaiguy to shame.

It's fucking horrid, makes me wanna smash my face against the television set whenever SportsCenter comes on. I'm done with it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.