UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bellator Does 1 Million Viewers in Debut

1/18/13 7:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Meohfumado
322 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great...

BUT HOW ABOUT THEY SHOW THE FUCKIN THING LIVE ON THE WEST COAST!!

Cannot stand idiot stations who delay live sporting events.
1/18/13 7:46 PM
NDmmafan
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IIAces - 
shorebreaker420 - Yea they were alive along time ago to me, damn mtv2 should be asshammed Phone Post
I couldn't watch that shit on mtv2. Looked like it was broadcast in 480p. Watchable on spike and fights were good. Phone Post

That was a huge pet peeve of mine. Spike in HD should add a ton to the overall broadcast and feel.
1/18/13 7:54 PM
GtheMVP
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats Bellator, MMA needs competition!! I wish UFC never left Spike, I hate Fox, FX, and especially fuel channels, Spike was fun!
1/18/13 8:18 PM
Chris27

GtheMVP - Congrats Bellator, MMA needs competition!! I wish UFC never left Spike, I hate Fox, FX, and especially fuel channels, Spike was fun!

I'm glad UFC left Spike, the UFC on Fox/FX/Fuel broadcasts look and feel so much bigger and better than they did on Spike.

ONly thing Spike had was everything on one network, well all the shoulder programming because UFC still was on Versus as well.

Once Fox turns Fuel and Speed into Fox Sports 1/2 and UFC content gets split between real sports networks thats even better.

What exactly do you hate? The production of the events on Fox/FX are better than they were on Spike, I guess if you dont have Fuel that sucks but Fuel shows more UFC content than Spike did so why they hell would anyone hate it?

1/18/13 8:25 PM
Wee Bey Jr
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome news! Phone Post
1/18/13 8:28 PM
FreakDaddy
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isn't this about five times what they did on MTV 2????? This was great for a first event......They have to be happy, as I bet they have much less overhead than they did with the UFC......
1/18/13 8:43 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

Macedawgg - 
MMALOGIC - 
tonytr - It's better for MMA if there's only one organization or "league." Does anyone think football would be nearly as popular if there were three different organizations competing for attention? No, people like things streamlined. It dilutes the "sport" aspect of an athletic competition if there's not one, single "be all end all" to determine who is the best.

If the UFC were to end up the only MMA org, it wouldn't be a monopoly, it would simply be just like the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL.

the market will decide.... you cant centrally plan a monopoly.  if the market wants only one organization (which so far it has demonstrated that it does) then there will be only one dominant organization.

Zuffa is likely at defcon 5 due to these numbers.  Spike has just demonstrated that it's the biggest potential threat to UFC's hegemony they have ever faced.

A league, by definition, requires multiple parties to coordinate. . .

The league sports, requiring other teams to compete against, necessitates a structure of coordination amongst the teams.

That is not the case in individual sports--never has been.

Such an argument would be the equivalent of Wimbledon requiring exclusivity to compete in its tournament, or the British Open requiring exclusivity to play in its tournament. . .

It is a defective and flawed analogy, and jsut isn't true.

maybe i am misunderstanding you but are you saying the ufc is closer to wimbeldon than it is to the nfl?

thats obviously not the case..the ufc is closer to a league like the nfl...wimblledon is closer to an event, like ufc 156

1/18/13 8:45 PM
Macedawgg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is the UFC a league of?

Who comprises the league of UFC?

That's right--it isn't a league at all--neither is Wimbledon.

1/18/13 8:59 PM
Zomby

With Strikeforce out of the picture, this is definitely good news!!!

1/18/13 9:01 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

Macedawgg - 

league of fighters?

1/18/13 9:04 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Extraordinary men?
1/18/13 9:05 PM
Chris27

liquidrob - Extraordinary men?

league of extraordinary gentlemen?
1/18/13 9:06 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

or that
1/18/13 9:10 PM
liquidrob

Just an observation, everyone keeps talking about week 3, 4, 5 whatever being the real test of the ratings because they used there 'big names' early

Curran and Chandler are not big names, no one really in Bellator is a big name besides maybe King Mo and maybe Paul Daley

Chandler, Curran are guys who made there name in Bellator like all the other guys fighting in Bellator this season, if the ratings drop its because they fights are not good, it's not like people were like "Oh shit, you here Michael Chandler is fighting tonight?!??!?! I need to watch this!"

1/18/13 9:11 PM
liquidrob

Even Eddie, he didn't mean anything ratings wise on MTV2, no on made a difference for them on FSN and MTV2, guys will make there names on Spike
1/18/13 9:14 PM
Chris27

liquidrob - Just an observation, everyone keeps talking about week 3, 4, 5 whatever being the real test of the ratings because they used there 'big names' early

Curran and Chandler are not big names, no one really in Bellator is a big name besides maybe King Mo and maybe Paul Daley

Chandler, Curran are guys who made there name in Bellator like all the other guys fighting in Bellator this season, if the ratings drop its because they fights are not good, it's not like people were like "Oh shit, you here Michael Chandler is fighting tonight?!??!?! I need to watch this!"

First Chandler and Curran are arguably the two best fighters Bellator has, both are champs, both had highlight shows being shown on Spike. So yes they are two of Bellators biggest names.

Second they had weeks of promoting for this debut, they had two title fights, probably the two best title fights they can make right now unless Eddie comes back.

So having weeks to promote an event, two title fights with your two best champs who they have been promoting heavily isnt the same as a LW tournament card in week three with no champs, one week to promote it and no big names.

and no if the ratings in week three drop off from the first two weeks it has nothing to do with the fights being good or not unless the ratings drop off during the show. But the show only averages 700k compared to the million they did the first week its because of who was on the card.
1/18/13 9:19 PM
liquidrob

Chris27 - 
liquidrob - Just an observation, everyone keeps talking about week 3, 4, 5 whatever being the real test of the ratings because they used there 'big names' early

First Chandler and Curran are arguably the two best fighters Bellator has, both are champs, both had highlight shows being shown on Spike. So yes they are two of Bellators biggest names.

Second they had weeks of promoting for this debut, they had two title fights, probably the two best title fights they can make right now unless Eddie comes back.

So having weeks to promote an event, two title fights with your two best champs who they have been promoting heavily isnt the same as a LW tournament card in week three with no champs, one week to promote it and no big names.

and no if the ratings in week three drop off from the first two weeks it has nothing to do with the fights being good or not unless the ratings drop off during the show. But the show only averages 700k compared to the million they did the first week its because of who was on the card.

Um, they can make a highlight show for anyone, half the UG didnt even probably know about Chandler and Curran

They have other champs, they can make highlight shows also. What does the "best 2 title fights they can make" mean to people who don't know them anyway?

There is no 'big names', only thing they can sell was "2 title fights", now they sell "The LW Tournament starts tonight!"

If King Mo flops and Ben goes Ben that will hurt week 3 than no "big names" because they don't have big names anyway. Bellator is selling tournaments and hoping people like the tournament format
1/18/13 9:55 PM
GtheMVP

Chris27 - 
GtheMVP - Congrats Bellator, MMA needs competition!! I wish UFC never left Spike, I hate Fox, FX, and especially fuel channels, Spike was fun!

I'm glad UFC left Spike, the UFC on Fox/FX/Fuel broadcasts look and feel so much bigger and better than they did on Spike.

ONly thing Spike had was everything on one network, well all the shoulder programming because UFC still was on Versus as well.

Once Fox turns Fuel and Speed into Fox Sports 1/2 and UFC content gets split between real sports networks thats even better.

What exactly do you hate? The production of the events on Fox/FX are better than they were on Spike, I guess if you dont have Fuel that sucks but Fuel shows more UFC content than Spike did so why they hell would anyone hate it?

I hate that it's all over the place, Spike was a good home, it was UFC's channel. On Fox, UFC is just another player.

There's nothing wrong with the broadcasts, Spike just felt right.
1/18/13 10:16 PM
Chris27

GtheMVP - 
Chris27 - 

I hate that it's all over the place, Spike was a good home, it was UFC's channel. On Fox, UFC is just another player.

There's nothing wrong with the broadcasts, Spike just felt right.

Thats true the UFC on Fox is just another player, not even their main players but the UFC just feels like a big deal and a real sport on Fox.

1/18/13 10:45 PM
mjm345
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
1/18/13 10:50 PM
12SixElbow
630 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great numbers... I don't know why they started at 10pm.

Do you feel like they would do better with an earlier start time?

1/18/13 10:54 PM
liquidrob

Not right now, they are using the TNA lead in for a good rating

TNA does 1 to 1.5 million, if they build an audience this season maybe they can do another night and time slot
1/19/13 1:40 AM
kinson

Just saying. If the UFC pulled those numbers all of you would be talking doom and gloom.

Haters Phone Post
1/19/13 1:43 AM
Macedawgg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku - 
Macedawgg - 

league of fighters?

Not even close

1/19/13 3:10 AM
PrettyBoy
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Macedawgg -
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku - 
Macedawgg - 

league of fighters?

Not even close

Exactly! This is an individual sport. Individual sports are made best by creating the best match-ups possible. UFC pretending to be a NFL type scenario only hurts the sport because they refuse to cross promote out of fear that their champs or golden boys will get beat like Chuck did in Pride.

UFC protects their brand so you have to believe all the best fighters are there... Yet pretty much every contender at 155-170 all came from another league. If Strikeforce wasn't acquired Dana would still be telling you that Overeem, DC, Barnett, Werdum are not top 10 or are UFC washouts... And idiots here would believe it.

King Mo is prob the best 205 to challenge Jon Jones right now. Chandler beat Eddie and he is getting a title shot if he goes to the UFC. Jacare and Rockhold are killers. WSOF is building amazing bantamweight and featherweight divisions. Fuck even MFC's middleweight division is stacked. Joseph Henle and Elvis would do extremely well in the UFC. I could go on all day. Quit being fanboys and just support the best fighters when they fight. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.