UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Keith Kizer: I welcome honest criticism

1/18/13 11:15 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Keith Kizer doesn’t mind being a scapegoat. Truth be told, he kind of enjoys it.

As executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, Kizer regularly absorbs the blame for perceived wrongdoings of every variety:
•Shoddy judging? Blame Kizer, who handpicks the cageside officials.
•Fight stopped too soon? Not soon enough? Blame Kizer, who screens and approves the referees.
•Was your favorite fighter deemed unfit to compete? That was probably Kizer.
•Drug testing too stringent? Not stringent enough? Testing for the wrong substances? Targeting the wrong fighters? Sure, blame Kizer for all those, too.

“I welcome criticism,” the chatty and chipper Kizer tells Fighters.com over the phone from his Las Vegas office. “None of us are above criticism. I welcome honest criticism – whether it is constructive or correct or not – as long as it’s honest.”

“Do I think that people over-criticize the refs? Yes, but that’s part of the fun,” he says.

“In every basketball game I’ve ever gone to, every time a foul is called, half the place is yelling about how bad the referee is. That’s part of what you do as a fan. After fights, everyone agrees that the judges are horrible, but they disagree on everything else when it’s close, which I find somewhat amusing.”

That’s not to say Kizer merely shrugs off criticism – he takes it seriously and continually reviews the way his office conducts its duties – but he’s realistic about how his role will continue to be perceived by fans and fighters alike.

“I take my job very seriously,” he says. “What we’re focusing on is making the sport as safe as possible, as legitimate as possible and as competitive as possible.”

Because Nevada is the de facto home of combat sports, Kizer’s commission is a kind of litmus test for how boxing and MMA are regulated throughout the rest of North America. This makes Kizer arguably the most influential governing authority in combat sports.

He has been an integral part of MMA’s evolution from what many critics perceived as a barbaric bloodbath to a closely-regulated, statistically-safe sport with mainstream respectability.

“I, like most people, am very happy when people fight clean,” he says. “I’m not hoping that people will fight dirty, just so I can catch them and make a case against them. We would much prefer to have a deterrent effect. Our biggest goal is to deter the use in the first place.”

Read entire article...

1/18/13 11:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hessian
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice
1/18/13 11:16 PM
Lahzerous
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kizer is actually a UG'er saw him post today.
1/18/13 11:18 PM
Kirik
1783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

Keith is an awesome regulator. And he likes honest criticism. What is better than that?

I know he gets a lot of guff on the UG. This will be a good test for you guys.

If you post "I hate hiM hE sUCkZ," that is not honest criticism. If you have something honest to say, respectfully, that is worth saying, he is probably interested.

1/18/13 11:19 PM
Arecsa
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The man is incompetent, he hasn't done one good thing for MMA. We still get the same boxing fossils judging fights and fucking it up because they are either corrupt or simply have no clue. Please Keith, explain to me the 30-27 for Melvin at UFC 155. Explain how that can possible happen still. The whole system needs a complete overhaul.
1/18/13 11:20 PM
Saltyballs
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honest criticism? Ok how about reforming the way judges are selected and implementing an MMA educational system for existing and future judges.

As an athletic commission I would think that judging would be a top priority. Would love to see Kizer lead the way on this. Phone Post
1/18/13 11:21 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have to be honest. He welcomes criticism but ignores it. How many real changes has the AC implemented in light of the myriad of significant problems in mma relating to the scoring system, judging, reffing, peds? Hardly any. Oh yeah they legalized steroid use with a scrip. That was a groundbreaking move in the wrong direction. Phone Post
1/18/13 11:21 PM
smoogy
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He acts like there isn't ample data on which of his judges are doing a crap job. Hard to expect honest criticism when you're disingenuous about the nature of the officiating problem in your state.
1/18/13 11:22 PM
Lahzerous
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Arecsa - The man is incompetent, he hasn't done one good thing for MMA. We still get the same boxing fossils judging fights and fucking it up because they are either corrupt or simply have no clue. Please Keith, explain to me the 30-27 for Melvin at UFC 155. Explain how that can possible happen still. The whole system needs a complete overhaul.

The board does that not him...... As far as him doing nothing I'm pretty sure it's the random test he implemented lately that busted Reem.
1/18/13 11:23 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

All u have to look at are the judges who basically are the same uneducated judges scoring fight after fight. No where in any private sector position do people with such incompetence just continue doing what they are doing year after year. They are removed. It's a joke. Phone Post
1/18/13 11:23 PM
Lahzerous

When I'm talking about the board I'm talking about who is responsible for the judges.
1/18/13 11:25 PM
Joe_Drogan420

What Orcus said.
TRT is legal, but using marijuana medicinally is not acceptable.

What an upside down, draconian rule.
1/18/13 11:25 PM
Master Shredder
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He is not very good at his job...thats the honest truth
1/18/13 11:26 PM
Lahzerous

Joe_Drogan420 - What Orcus said.
TRT is legal, but using marijuana medicinally is not acceptable.

What an upside down, draconian rule.

Now see this he does have control over I believe.
1/18/13 11:39 PM
Joe_Drogan420

^I agree we need to start drug testing everyone at NSAC, from Keith Kizer to every judge.
1/18/13 11:39 PM
orcus

Edited: 01/18/13 11:41 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku -  Have to be honest. He welcomes criticism but ignores it. How many real changes has the AC implemented in light of the myriad of significant problems in mma relating to the scoring system, judging, reffing, peds? Hardly any. Oh yeah they legalized steroid use with a scrip. That was a groundbreaking move in the wrong direction. Phone Post

Yep.

What good is "welcoming" criticism if you don't do anything about it, ever?

1/18/13 11:40 PM
da Vinci 81
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As with everyone else, I would love to know what criteria is in place for someone to be qualified as an MMA judge. How are they selected, what are the requirements, and what tests are in place to determine their capabilities?
1/18/13 11:42 PM
FearTheClown
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Criticizing the refs is "part of the fun"? That's kind of morbid when you think of all the un-neccesary damage fighters have taken over the years because a referee didn't stop the fight when he was supposed to.

1/18/13 11:44 PM
Joe_Drogan420

FearTheClown - 

Criticizing the refs is "part of the fun"? That's kind of morbid when you think of all the un-neccesary damage fighters have taken over the years because a referee didn't stop the fight when he was supposed to.

yeah, stuff like that is the reason keith enjoys his jobs.
he's a morbid individual.
1/18/13 11:44 PM
Joe_Drogan420

FearTheClown - 

yeah, stuff like that is the reason keith enjoys his jobs.
he's a morbid individual.
1/18/13 11:55 PM
MrNiceguy66

PEDs are legal with prescription. Why not marijuana? Phone Post
1/18/13 11:55 PM
HandyDarsh
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keith is roiding Phone Post
1/18/13 11:57 PM
ChaosOverkill
591 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/18/13 11:57 PM

FIRE ADALAIDE BYRD

Or at least stop chosing her for Judging duty in MMA

1/19/13 12:05 AM
mchase126
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Judges. Cecil Peoples is a UG punchline for a reason.

1/19/13 12:09 AM
Metafour

My biggest concern is with the judging.

Fights that are close I understand there being a little variance such as 29-28 split decisions.

However one judge scoring a fight 30-27 for one guy and another scoring it 30-27 for the other is unacceptable when certain rounds have clear winners. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.