UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Epsom Salt baths for cutting weight

1/27/13 9:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
frontdesk mma
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those that have used this method for weight cutting please chime in...We are trying this method out for the first time for a 20lb cut before Friday weigh-ins. Tips? Phone Post
1/27/13 9:26 PM
Quik
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Six Deuce Clothing, Owner
Huh? How would you lose weight in an epsom salt bath? It doesn't make you sweat, right?
1/27/13 9:27 PM
frontdesk mma
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Especially interested in hearing the results of salt bath vs sauna time as the sauna has been the previous method.

Thanks! Phone Post
1/27/13 9:27 PM
Kostakio
492 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tip: Try not to have to cut that much weight in such a short time next time (I know people do it but it's counter-effective, imho). Phone Post
1/27/13 9:29 PM
bknumber1
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Consider the science of it and it pretty much works as you would think. If you are doing 20 in water and using salts, you should have the IV fluids ready to go for after as well. Watch him close as the body won't be able to hit the "oh shit" button when he gets dangerously low since the salts are an external factor.

For the record, doing a 20 lb water cut and using salts for the first time sounds like a recipe for disaster. Good luck though. Phone Post
1/27/13 9:32 PM
Quik
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is the science behind this?
1/27/13 9:33 PM
rnunz
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/27/13 11:38 PM

The idea is that you put a table spoon of Epsom salt in hot water and drink it. It's a laxative. No joke. I don't think people bathe in it to cut weight. Phone Post

Edit: The more you know!

1/27/13 9:34 PM
frontdesk mma

bknumber1 - Consider the science of it and it pretty much works as you would think. If you are doing 20 in water and using salts, you should have the IV fluids ready to go for after as well. Watch him close as the body won't be able to hit the "oh shit" button when he gets dangerously low since the salts are an external factor.

For the record, doing a 20 lb water cut and using salts for the first time sounds like a recipe for disaster. Good luck though. Phone Post
He is doing sauna as well which is the normal method. He can definitely (but painfully) lose the weight with this alone and has done so in the past, and still be more than back to normal fight time. Do you not recommend mixing the two? Phone Post
1/27/13 9:35 PM
Quik

Edited: 01/27/13 9:35 PM
^^now that makes sense. I know of salt's laxative properties. But using a bath for weight loss seems like quackery.
1/27/13 9:36 PM
needalife
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I drink it with hot water to take a big shit. I bathe in it sometimes, it helps cleanse the body when you sweat Phone Post
UGCTT_SidRival
510 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Quik - What is the science behind this?
Drains the hydration from ur skin iirc. Phone Post
Heroic Rise
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hot water and large quantities of salt will pull water from the body. Think osmosis and just sweating due to heat. Phone Post
1/27/13 9:38 PM
Da_man
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know I never used it. my team uses a mixture of everything from sauna, heavy clothing and light shadow boxing, to using abeline gel or lotion or however it's spelled. And it's comes off pretty easy. Phone Post
1/27/13 9:40 PM
frontdesk mma

Da_man - I don't know I never used it. my team uses a mixture of everything from sauna, heavy clothing and light shadow boxing, to using abeline gel or lotion or however it's spelled. And it's comes off pretty easy. Phone Post
That's the normal game plan! And though miserable it works. Maybe I should advise to not try something new so close to fight time... Phone Post
1/27/13 9:42 PM
HandyDarsh
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Heroic Rise -  Hot water and large quantities of salt will pull water from the body. Think osmosis and just sweating due to heat. Phone Post

warm or hot baths suck water out, it might not be 20 lbs but  it will take some water out

1/27/13 9:47 PM
Da_man
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

frontdesk mma -
Da_man - I don't know I never used it. my team uses a mixture of everything from sauna, heavy clothing and light shadow boxing, to using abeline gel or lotion or however it's spelled. And it's comes off pretty easy. Phone Post
That's the normal game plan! And though miserable it works. Maybe I should advise to not try something new so close to fight time... Phone Post
Yea I wouldn't try anything new unless its proven but then everyone reacts differently to stuff.

Maybe you should have one of your guys who isn't fighting soon but still in shape to try it out first, I mean I don't know how close your team is but my boys would do it for me anytime. Phone Post
1/27/13 9:48 PM
frontdesk mma

JustDOit -

DO NOT, DO NOT RELY ON THIS

the polley plunge/epsom salts etc... is only good for a few pounds

20lb weight cut will require much more

i cut 17lbs on my first amatuer fight the old fashion way

tried the bath method for another fight, aiming at 20lbs and failed miserably

ran out of time, missed weight, embarrassed myself, lost the fight

owned.

also, i woudlnt waste $$ ol alboline either, doesnt do much at all in my experience...and its expensive.

can you give details on what time weigh ins are and what time the event starts?

i am no expert...but i can give you some advice from multiple personal trial and errors

Thanks for the info! Weigh ins are 6pm Friday..event is Saturday at 7pm Phone Post
1/27/13 9:49 PM
Bullet
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look up Polly plunge.
1 large bag of epson salt
Hot bath
Cover skin with Arbolene
6 bottles of wintergreen rubbing alcohol

Soak for 45 minutes it's usually good for 12-15 pounds. Phone Post
1/27/13 10:01 PM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am pretty sure Dolce uses epsom salt baths for his guys all the time.

1/27/13 10:03 PM
btso15
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've heard Epsom salt baths are pretty dangerous. I always just used Abilene and sweats. But I've never cut over 14 lbs Phone Post
1/27/13 10:18 PM
yellow c0ckahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's the best way to cut water weight fast? I don't have access to a sauna anymore, I don't go to Lifetime anymore.

1/27/13 11:15 PM
JoelN
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This method works well and works fast

1/27/13 11:22 PM
Fracture

Albaline, sweatsuit n light jog. Then go into bathroom and sit with shower on full heat with lots of steam still wearing suit. I put a towel under door to not let steam escape. Always works for me Phone Post
1/27/13 11:31 PM
canadiankid
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i have done this b4 my last tourney and lost like 2 and a half pounds in a hour in the water as hot as i could take it i was told 110 but im thinking it was even hoter then that lol i lost another 3 pounds over night
1/27/13 11:57 PM
lifeaftrprison
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bullet - Look up Polly plunge.
1 large bag of epson salt
Hot bath
Cover skin with Arbolene
6 bottles of wintergreen rubbing alcohol

Soak for 45 minutes it's usually good for 12-15 pounds. Phone Post
This. I cut 13lbs pretty easily. Wrapped in towels when you get out. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.