UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why MMA Has Not Flourished In Chinese Society

2/1/13 4:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dtmuniversal
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The birthplace of martial arts (“all martial arts come from Shaolin”), China (a.k.a. The Middle Kingdom) possesses over five thousand years of history, and is the central origin of all Asian people and culture that can be traced back to the ancient times. While they won’t openly admit it, neighbouring nations such as Japan, Korea, and all of South East Asia owe their historical and cultural roots to China, in one way or another.

Why is it then, in a society of more than 2 billion ethnic Chinese people scattered across the globe combined, we have not had any successful Chinese fighters (so far)? Why is it that Japan, a tiny island comprised of only about 125 million people, has produced some of the sport’s most legendary MMA fighters, and Korea is taking the lead in pushing the next wave of successful Asian fighters, while China (and its neighbouring Chinese populations in and of Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau) is still the odd country out of the party? Why have Chinese fighters failed to find success at prize fighting and what is it that makes Chinese people “different” than other Asian fighters?

We’re going to look at the legitimate factors that have contributed to the slow acceptance of MMA in Chinese society, as well as dissecting the potential bullshit “reasons not to train MMA” agenda that Chinese martial arts masters preach. We’re about to see how much of it is with good reason, and how much of it is just Chinese people making up excuses and not being good at fighting MMA."

Full article link with videos: http://dynastyclothingstore.wordpress.com/2013/02/01/where-are-the-chinese-fighters-why-mma-has-not-flourished-in-chinese-society-long-read-with-videos/
2/1/13 6:53 PM
Kings21
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That big ass cloud of smog they have probably makes it difficult to trane properly. Their lungs already take a beating on a daily basis. There's no need for their heads to take a beating as well.
2/1/13 7:03 PM
MdGeist
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dispute that China is the birthplace of martial arts.

2/1/13 7:23 PM
unfilter
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool find man, interesting article.  VU~

2/1/13 7:27 PM
sparkuri
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They gas quickly.

Not eveyone can afford the canned air to trane

2/1/13 7:29 PM
genshi
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

China has a government sanctioned promotion called RUFF....They have huge sponsors in NIKE and DUCATI....They are pretty good and popular
2/1/13 7:29 PM
Dirk Bevlin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
2/1/13 7:32 PM
XxLiveBaitxX
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mostly failed due to logistics.

They seem have have trouble determining parking spaces for all of those bicycles.
2/1/13 7:34 PM
40oztofreedom
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasn't there something on this not too long ago about money or sponsors being a big part of it. Not having a fair advantage fighting in America or something. Phone Post
2/1/13 7:36 PM
DamnSevern
1209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

still growing at this point, but bigger than ever with 4 or 5 different orgs

There are def a couple Chinese fighters that should be scooped up by a big org,

Jumabieke Tuerxun

2/1/13 7:47 PM
Motivated Penn
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Quite a few jabs at the Chinese here lol...
2/1/13 7:50 PM
Lobo8

MdGeist - 

Me too. Many say its actually india
2/1/13 7:52 PM
UGCTT_sideshowsteve
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MdGeist - 

agreed. I'm not certain, but I thought it was India.
the_fight_observer
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good read, thanks for posting. Phone Post
UGCTT_sideshowsteve
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/01/13 7:53 PM
^ lol - the other post about India was not there when I was typing!
2/1/13 7:54 PM
Kings21
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lobo8 - 
MdGeist - 

Me too. Many say its actually india

The best martial arts were invented in Murica. Your Kung Fu or Indian dirt wrasslin means nothing.
2/1/13 7:59 PM
Hessian
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, lots of trashy racist in this thread.
2/1/13 8:02 PM
gracie
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I read somewhere that ancient Greece was the birthplace.

I am sure there were civilizations way before any we know about that had martial arts.

2/1/13 8:03 PM
gracie
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They found many very old bones in China that belonged to caucasian people as well

2/1/13 8:21 PM
UGCTT croy_00
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No high school wrestling programs maybe? A lot of wrestlers want to keep busy after school ends. Phone Post
2/1/13 8:44 PM
dtmuniversal
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hrm I expected more in-depth and more intelligent responses from readers here... not just a bunch of random unfunny jokes.
2/1/13 9:02 PM
Kirik
2036 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

ttt

2/1/13 9:39 PM
cm81
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ImA2TimeLoser - Because most of their "martial arts" are bullshit Phone Post
This.

Chinese martial art culture = fancy acrobatic or mystical striking (Shaolin gung fu, wing chun, praying mantis etc)

Japanese martial art culture = grappling (jujitsu, judo)

Also, the Chinese have less emphasis on warrior spirit, honour etc. They are a people with not much time or respect for/to appreciate such a concept, or for activities which are about this. Sun Tzu's art of war is about winning, period.

The Japanese on the other hand have been all about budo, bushido for centuries. Prior to the Mongol invasions, the samurai even fought one to one on the battlefield by calling each other out. The Chinese would never do such things.

MMA will never take off in China. It is obvious to anyone who understands the culture there. Phone Post
2/1/13 9:50 PM
unfilter
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cm81 - 
This.

Chinese martial art culture = fancy acrobatic or mystical striking (Shaolin gung fu, wing chun, praying mantis etc)

Also, the Chinese have less emphasis on warrior spirit, honour etc. They are a people with not much time or respect for/to appreciate such a concept, or for activities which are about this. Sun Tzu's art of war is about winning, period.

The Japanese on the other hand have been all about budo, bushido for centuries. Prior to the Mongol invasions, the samurai even fought one to one on the battlefield by calling each other out. The Chinese would never do such things.

MMA will never take off in China. It is obvious to anyone who understands the culture there. Phone Post

whoa man.

just....

whoa.

seems like maybe you're painting in pretty broad strokes here.

2/1/13 10:16 PM
rundymc

cm81 - 
This.

That's.... somewhat inaccurate. I mean, it seems like you're looking at the respective cultures from a highly romanticized point of view.

Anyway, my perspective on it, living in Singapore, being half Chinese, and knowing plenty of Jap and Chinese people is... they're pretty much the same, lol. Generally reserved, generally disciplined, generally dedicated to what they're doing.

There is nothing inherent in Chinese culture that de-emphasizes "warrior spirit" and "honor". Hell, you outright need some of that shit to survive as a lower-middle class adult living in a Chinese city. Life in Hong-Kong and Shenzhen is fucking brutal, far beyond anything in a place like Singapore.

But yes, martial arts isn't big in China. It's a weird thought, considering so many people figure it's the birthplace of martial arts (not true, it was Kerala/India), but you'd be hard-pressed to find a PRC with formal training in my experience.

Here's the wild card. I reckon if the government ever made a push for MMA, they'd have high level Chinese contenders in just over a decade. For now, it's a small BJJ/Sanshou/MMA scene that's slowly but steadily growing. Watch out for talent out there.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.