UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why MMA Has Not Flourished In Chinese Society

2/2/13 12:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dtmuniversal
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cm81 - 
ImA2TimeLoser - Because most of their "martial arts" are bullshit Phone Post
This.

Chinese martial art culture = fancy acrobatic or mystical striking (Shaolin gung fu, wing chun, praying mantis etc)

Japanese martial art culture = grappling (jujitsu, judo)

Also, the Chinese have less emphasis on warrior spirit, honour etc. They are a people with not much time or respect for/to appreciate such a concept, or for activities which are about this. Sun Tzu's art of war is about winning, period.

The Japanese on the other hand have been all about budo, bushido for centuries. Prior to the Mongol invasions, the samurai even fought one to one on the battlefield by calling each other out. The Chinese would never do such things.

MMA will never take off in China. It is obvious to anyone who understands the culture there. Phone Post

lol. wow.

I bet you've never trained any Chinese martial art. Compared to the modern arts, Chinese martial arts is some of the hardest shit you could learn. And you think that doesn't take dedication and discipline?

GTFO please.

And yeah... I hope you fight a legit Wing Chun guy sometime and get hit in the chest repeatedly... Chinese Kung Fu is not a joke, but in the sense of MMA it isn't very effective.

Oh yeah, and don't act like the Japanese arts didn't come from Chinese martial arts.
2/2/13 1:18 AM
YVES JOCKSTRAP
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
2/2/13 1:53 AM
diggity
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for later. Phone Post
2/2/13 2:13 AM
Ray Elbe
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just trained with Wang Sai in the Philippines. He's UFC level Phone Post
2/2/13 2:21 AM
cm81
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rundymc -
cm81 - 
This.

Chinese martial art culture = fancy acrobatic or mystical striking (Shaolin gung fu, wing chun, praying mantis etc)

Also, the Chinese have less emphasis on warrior spirit, honour etc. They are a people with not much time or respect for/to appreciate such a concept, or for activities which are about this. Sun Tzu's art of war is about winning, period.

The Japanese on the other hand have been all about budo, bushido for centuries. Prior to the Mongol invasions, the samurai even fought one to one on the battlefield by calling each other out. The Chinese would never do such things.

MMA will never take off in China. It is obvious to anyone who understands the culture there. Phone Post

That's.... somewhat inaccurate. I mean, it seems like you're looking at the respective cultures from a highly romanticized point of view.

Anyway, my perspective on it, living in Singapore, being half Chinese, and knowing plenty of Jap and Chinese people is... they're pretty much the same, lol. Generally reserved, generally disciplined, generally dedicated to what they're doing.

There is nothing inherent in Chinese culture that de-emphasizes "warrior spirit" and "honor". Hell, you outright need some of that shit to survive as a lower-middle class adult living in a Chinese city. Life in Hong-Kong and Shenzhen is fucking brutal, far beyond anything in a place like Singapore.

But yes, martial arts isn't big in China. It's a weird thought, considering so many people figure it's the birthplace of martial arts (not true, it was Kerala/India), but you'd be hard-pressed to find a PRC with formal training in my experience.

Here's the wild card. I reckon if the government ever made a push for MMA, they'd have high level Chinese contenders in just over a decade. For now, it's a small BJJ/Sanshou/MMA scene that's slowly but steadily growing. Watch out for talent out there.
Hang on there, and don't misconstrue what I was saying... I wasn't saying that the Chinese have no "warrior" mentality. They are a tough and hardy people, just like the Koreans. They continue to be a "survivor" race, as you have mentioned, this is reflected in life in HK/singapore/china... dog eat dog, survival of the fittest.

But there is a clear difference in terms of how Chinese and Japanese people have viewed warfare, and warrior culture, throughout the ages.

Like I mentioned earlier, the Mongol invasions of Japan. The Japanese couldn't deal with them as they had dueled one to one for years, even on the battlefield. There is a concept of "glorified and honorable battle" that other cultures simply don't have.

MMA fluorished in Japan as it is a natural extension of ideas encompassed in Bushido. Add to that their martial art culture which has always involved grappling (except for karate is Okinawan and "chinese").

FRAT. Phone Post
2/2/13 3:08 AM
esssee
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

honorable warfare huh? maybe different definitions in japan.

my guess from the chinese i know here in the states would be because they are for the most part focused on doing well in school and/or making money. i agree it does seem to be cultural though, they don't seem to be into the whole fighting thing. generally speaking of course.

don't know about the roots of martial arts but the way it's practiced today chinese martial arts don't seem realistic. i love japanese martial arts because they still train live for the most part (i guess karate can be questionable).
2/2/13 3:15 AM
Jesus Quintana

China already has a combat sport it wants to promote...San Da...not sure if that takes away from funding/interest for MMA stuff.
2/2/13 3:15 AM
Jesus Quintana

Also, my understanding is that fighting on the ground is culturally looked down on in chinese martial arts
2/2/13 3:17 AM
Kinkle

cm81

voted down
2/2/13 3:17 AM
Muzalini

Giraffix Inc, Graphic Designer
MdGeist -

I dispute that China is the birthplace of martial arts.

I know jerusalem invented the crucifix position but not sure about martial arts. Phone Post
2/2/13 3:24 AM
cm81
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dtmuniversal -
cm81 - 
This.

lol. wow.

I bet you've never trained any Chinese martial art. Compared to the modern arts, Chinese martial arts is some of the hardest shit you could learn. And you think that doesn't take dedication and discipline?

GTFO please.

And yeah... I hope you fight a legit Wing Chun guy sometime and get hit in the chest repeatedly... Chinese Kung Fu is not a joke, but in the sense of MMA it isn't very effective.

Oh yeah, and don't act like the Japanese arts didn't come from Chinese martial arts.
I never implied that Japanese culture or martial art is superior to Chinese.

Grappling is intrinsic to MMA. Grappling is not part of the general Chinese martial art psyche (pls don't bring up Chin Na or grappling hands of praying mantis gung fu). The Chinese have a general distaste for grappling... Their heroes are Jet Li and Bruce Lee.

Case in point: Tiequan Zhang. When Tiequan Zhang won his first UFC fight with a guillotine, Chinese forum'ers were full of criticism, some even saying he won in a "dirty" manner and some even saying they would punch him if they saw him. Phone Post
2/2/13 3:37 AM
cm81

Kinkle - cm81

voted down
Grappling is not appreciated by the general Chinese public.

And the Chinese have no time or interest in such contests, other than the spectacle. There is no national interest/pride to keep the interest in MMA going... Furthermore as the majority of their indigenous arts are ineffective. As an otherwise generally practical people (other than their martial arts) they also place no value on such things... Making $ takes precedent.

My commentary on the Japanese ppl is not that they are superior, but that they appreciate such events as it is an embodiment of Bushido, and grappling is part of Japanese martial culture.

The proof is in the pudding.

If you can't accept these facts, then by all means vote me down. Phone Post
2/2/13 3:48 AM
Kinkle

You just generalized 1.3 BILLION PEOPLE, 20% of the world population. Yes you are very stupid.
2/2/13 4:31 AM
cm81

Kinkle - You just generalized 1.3 BILLION PEOPLE, 20% of the world population. Yes you are very stupid.
I get it... China pride. That's why you can't read between the lines of what I said.

Let 's make it clear. I never criticized the Chinese. I pointed out differences between the culture and that of the Japanese, but you've gone full small man syndrome and resorted to telling me shit that I've insulted 20% of the population etc...

When I discuss the issue of the Mongol invasion, it is not that the Japanese were superior in honor that they fought one to one. It was a point I was making about the practicality of the Chinese ppl and other cultures compared to the Japanese, who seem to appreciate the idea of duelling more than other asian cultures.

Look, at the end of the day, get back to me when MMA explodes in popularity in China. Phone Post
2/2/13 4:33 AM
Dirk Bevlin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would be interesting to hear from folks who have read the article. Phone Post
2/2/13 4:42 AM
phdinmma

Kings21 - That big ass cloud of smog they have probably makes it difficult to trane properly. Their lungs already take a beating on a daily basis. There's no need for their heads to take a beating as well.
It does effect your cardio here. Phone Post
2/2/13 4:46 AM
phdinmma

genshi - China has a government sanctioned promotion called RUFF....They have huge sponsors in NIKE and DUCATI....They are pretty good and popular
It's pretty popular here. Phone Post
2/2/13 4:52 AM
phdinmma

mnbvcxzchewy - 1 - sports for kids in general are shunned. kids are pushed academically (memorization) 12+ hours a day, 6 days a week. you dont see kids playing outside or smiling/laughing except on sunday afternoon.

2 - China has really only been open and semi-free about 20 years. the parents of todays youth were eating rice and tree bark 30 years ago. need another generation and more middle class before the kids have more time for things outside of work.
1. That's not true. Chinese kids play badminton, Bball, pingpong, run track, and most schools in shanghai take all the kids to a public swimming pool at least once a week.

2. You are right about the nutrition thing. 95% of Chinese kids are taller, stronger, and fatter than their parents. The revolution set them back maybe a hundred years. Phone Post
2/2/13 4:57 AM
Kostakio
484 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MdGeist -

I dispute that China is the birthplace of martial arts.

Greece Phone Post
2/2/13 4:58 AM
Blue Duck
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The vast majority of Chinese are broke-dick poor and are hustling just to put food on the table. I would think that taking time/money to formally train, participate or watch MMA is a luxury most can't afford.

2/2/13 2:39 PM
ChaosOverkill
549 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hessian - Wow, lots of trashy racist in this thread.

Chinese is an ethnicity Asian is a race China doesn't do itself any favours with its own indoctrinated hate and superiority complex You don't get that with other Asian ethnicities (for the most part)
2/2/13 2:42 PM
Poop Doodle
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe they are too busy being murdered by their government?
2/2/13 4:10 PM
dtmuniversal
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill - 
Hessian - Wow, lots of trashy racist in this thread.

Chinese is an ethnicity Asian is a race China doesn't do itself any favours with its own indoctrinated hate and superiority complex You don't get that with other Asian ethnicities (for the most part)

You're kidding me right? The Japanese think they are the holy grail of all races, much like the Nazis were.
2/2/13 4:17 PM
Kinkle

cm81 - 
Kinkle - You just generalized 1.3 BILLION PEOPLE, 20% of the world population. Yes you are very stupid.
I get it... China pride. That's why you can't read between the lines of what I said.

Let 's make it clear. I never criticized the Chinese. I pointed out differences between the culture and that of the Japanese, but you've gone full small man syndrome and resorted to telling me shit that I've insulted 20% of the population etc...

When I discuss the issue of the Mongol invasion, it is not that the Japanese were superior in honor that they fought one to one. It was a point I was making about the practicality of the Chinese ppl and other cultures compared to the Japanese, who seem to appreciate the idea of duelling more than other asian cultures.

Look, at the end of the day, get back to me when MMA explodes in popularity in China. Phone Post

No China pride here, many Chinese people have no manners, respect, etc. I will agree that Japanese are much more respectful than other Asian groups. That said, my problem is how you generalized 20% of the WORLDS population in a couple sentences, that is ridiculous.
2/2/13 5:34 PM
dtmuniversal

Kinkle - 
cm81 - 

No China pride here, many Chinese people have no manners, respect, etc. I will agree that Japanese are much more respectful than other Asian groups. That said, my problem is how you generalized 20% of the WORLDS population in a couple sentences, that is ridiculous.

This.

I agree that mainland Chinese people in general act like barbarians, but that doesn't mean you can generalize entire Chinese populations, even ones in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau, who live just like Westerners, as people who "don't have warrior spirit". DAFUQ?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.