UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why does the HW div have a upper weight limit?

2/2/13 10:27 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shady lane
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As per the title.

Would there be in any harm in having a combined HW/SHW division?

What do you think would happen if it were created? Phone Post
2/2/13 10:30 AM
EckY
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont understand it either, boxing is under the same athletic commissions and they have no limit at HW.  Even HS wrestling in the US has a limit of 285.

If they did scrap the limit, it wiuld just mean the few guys that have to cut to make 265 would no longer have to.

2/2/13 10:41 AM
syobwoc
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea heavy weight should have no limit its supposed to be about being the best
2/2/13 10:50 AM
BKViper
409 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What they need is the 225 Cruiser weight division (before we need 115 Dana) and then take the cap off HW. Phone Post
2/2/13 10:55 AM
jasonhightower
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BKViper - What they need is the 225 Cruiser weight division (before we need 115 Dana) and then take the cap off HW. Phone Post
This! Phone Post
2/2/13 10:59 AM
MMARAIDER
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cause no one wants to watch 2 300 pound guys gass out in 2 minuets
2/2/13 11:01 AM
BJ bashed into McDs mincemeat

MMARAIDER - cause no one wants to watch 2 300 pound guys gass out in 2 minuets
Won't have to, fattys won't make it to the Super Bowl of mma Phone Post
2/2/13 11:16 AM
thedirtyburger

Half the heavyweights already gas after 5 minutes, and besides, who would fight there? Cole Konrad is retired Phone Post
2/2/13 11:18 AM
Nexuscrawlers
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana hates fatties Phone Post
2/2/13 12:19 PM
Wicked smahtMF

insert <not sure if serious> gif
2/2/13 12:24 PM
Kinkle

BKViper -  What they need is the 225 Cruiser weight division (before we need 115 Dana) and then take the cap off HW. Phone Post

They don't need 225, HW is deep enough.
2/2/13 12:27 PM
ShawnTheBadger
349 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Because the HW division already has by far the largest percentage of weight difference between potential opponents with the current weight classes.
2/2/13 12:44 PM
Bisping KOd by CHRIST

Fat guys with no cardio would get destroyed. The limit is stupid.
2/2/13 1:02 PM
shady lane
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bisping KOd by CHRIST - Fat guys with no cardio would get destroyed. The limit is stupid.
And that's fine but fat guys wouldn't be on a UFC PPV. However, a 6'5'' ripped kick boxer with 6 months takedown defence whose ideal weight is 280lbs would be awesome.

Now I'm not thinking of anyone in particular but if a fighter is good enough to challenge for the UFC then why are they making them cut to 265lbs?

Sorry if a stupid question but I'm curious. Phone Post
2/2/13 1:05 PM
shady lane

thedirtyburger - Half the heavyweights already gas after 5 minutes, and besides, who would fight there? Cole Konrad is retired Phone Post
Everyone above 205lbs.

The weight class would be 205 and upwards with no upper limit.

History would suggest the champ would weigh around 240 but why not allow 300 guys to compete if they can prove they are good enough? Phone Post
2/2/13 1:06 PM
Kinkle

Edited: 02/02/13 1:06 PM
What fighter is this limit keeping out of the UFC?
2/2/13 1:09 PM
shady lane

ShawnTheBadger - Because the HW division already has by far the largest percentage of weight difference between potential opponents with the current weight classes.
But the higher the weight class the less difference it makes.

If anything I think at HW/SHW it would be self regulating as increased weight could prove to be a hindrance. Phone Post
2/2/13 1:11 PM
shady lane

Kinkle - What fighter is this limit keeping out of the UFC?
Like I said I'm not thinking of anyone in particular just wondering why the UFC would limit themselves in this way. Phone Post
2/2/13 1:14 PM
Mike Morris
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jasonhightower -
BKViper - What they need is the 225 Cruiser weight division (before we need 115 Dana) and then take the cap off HW. Phone Post
This! Phone Post
This is the correct answer. Phone Post
2/2/13 1:19 PM
mxmma

I bet people might be suprised to see it but i bet a 300 pound guy could win the heavyweight title if there were no cap, like a nfl style athlete or even a heavier collegiate wrestler could pull it off. I say shorten the bouts to three minute rounds for heavyweights as well to provide more action imo.
2/2/13 1:33 PM
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Because everyone would gas too quickly at shw Phone Post
2/2/13 1:40 PM
Dogmeat 1
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shady lane - 
Like I said I'm not thinking of anyone in particular just wondering why the UFC would limit themselves in this way. Phone Post

The UFC did not create the current weight classes although they were in part based on the ones the UFC was using at the time. When the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board created the unified rules of mixed martial arts they also decided on the current weight classes. Olympic wrestling limits super heavyweights to 264 lbs (120kg) as well so it seems fairly likely that is where the board got their heavyweight limits from.

The superheavyweight division has always been unnecessary and the UFC has only ever staged a single fight in that division to my knowledge. Superheavyweight is pretty much the only division in which the fighters are obviously inferior to the ones in the weight class below. The fact that there isn't even a single notable sueprheavyweight fighter who can't easily make heavyweight (sadly Bob Sapp and Hong Man Choi are still likely the most prominent of the pure SHW fighters) shows just how pointless the division is.
2/2/13 1:41 PM
Stubjj844
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tim Sylvia, Mark Hunt and Bigfoot look AWFUL when they are not forced to make the limit. I don't think it should exist, but it does has the nice side effect of helping these guys get in better shape.
2/2/13 1:48 PM
shady lane

I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies - Because everyone would gas too quickly at shw Phone Post
Don't think you understand what I'm asking.

I'm not advocating setting up a SHW division of 265 . I'm asking why the UFC cannot remove its upper limit. That way huge fighters are not forced to cut to 265.

The HW division would include fighters from 205 and upwards. Phone Post
2/2/13 1:49 PM
shady lane

Dogmeat 1 -
shady lane - 

The UFC did not create the current weight classes although they were in part based on the ones the UFC was using at the time. When the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board created the unified rules of mixed martial arts they also decided on the current weight classes. Olympic wrestling limits super heavyweights to 264 lbs (120kg) as well so it seems fairly likely that is where the board got their heavyweight limits from.

The superheavyweight division has always been unnecessary and the UFC has only ever staged a single fight in that division to my knowledge. Superheavyweight is pretty much the only division in which the fighters are obviously inferior to the ones in the weight class below. The fact that there isn't even a single notable sueprheavyweight fighter who can't easily make heavyweight (sadly Bob Sapp and Hong Man Choi are still likely the most prominent of the pure SHW fighters) shows just how pointless the division is.
This looks to be the answer. Thanks dogmeat. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.