UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> It's crazy that arguably the best 155er

2/2/13 1:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

is fighting at 145 and STILL being outsized by his opponent.

Edgar is a true p4p great. If he wins tonight I think he has to be high in the discussion.

2/2/13 1:10 PM
Entreri

If he wins tonight, #1 P4P.
2/2/13 1:12 PM
xsrg95
388 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Entreri - If he wins tonight, #1 P4P.

2/2/13 1:12 PM
PrettyBoy
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed. Frankie is amazing. Phone Post
2/2/13 1:14 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Definitely P4P best if he beats Aldo up.
2/2/13 1:15 PM
orcus

Entreri - If he wins tonight, #1 P4P.

He'd have a good case. He'd have beaten BJ at LW (including getting more takedowns than Fitch, Macdonald, and Hughes did), been the only guy to beat Gray Maynard -- and doing it by KO -- and then arguably outfought Benson Henderson, before going down and beating Aldo who himself is a p4p great -- all while being smaller than the 145er.

2/2/13 1:16 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

I wouldn't say Frankie is terribly outside vs. Aldo. They seem close enough.

Edagr is a beast and if he beat Aldo should certainly be very high in the P4P discussion given his domination at LW as a very small LW.

2/2/13 1:17 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

I wouldn't say Frankie is terribly outside vs. Aldo. They seem close enough.

Edagr is a beast and if he beat Aldo should certainly be very high in the P4P discussion given his domination at LW as a very small LW.

Coming from the guy that says GSP and Anderson are comparable in size ;)

2/2/13 1:18 PM
aaronlynton
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can he cut to 35? Future 3 weight class champ ? Phone Post
2/2/13 1:19 PM
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

aaronlynton -  Can he cut to 35? Future 3 weight class champ ? Phone Post

He could make 35.  Can he beat Aldo and Cruz/Barao/MacDonald?  Remains to be seen.

2/2/13 1:22 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

GSP and Andy are not far off in overall size. I would say Aldo/Edgar are even closer still. ;)

2/2/13 1:22 PM
Kinkle

You can argue that Edgar is the best at 155, but you'd definitely be wrong. Benson is OBVIOUSLY the best. I agree though, Edgar is the #1 P4P and will beat Aldo tonight to be undisputed #1 P4P.
2/2/13 1:23 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 
aaronlynton -  Can he cut to 35? Future 3 weight class champ ? Phone Post

He could make 35.  Can he beat Aldo and Cruz/Barao/MacDonald?  Remains to be seen.

Yep, the speed advantage Edgar had at 155 will be gone vs Aldo, and he may be slower than your Cruz/Barao/McDonald for all we know. Tonight will answer (teehee) those questions.

2/2/13 1:23 PM
orcus

"I wouldn't say Frankie is terribly outside vs. Aldo. They seem close enough."

I wouldn't say terribly either, but Aldo still has the height, weight, and reach advantage.

2/2/13 1:25 PM
nowaydo
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, it's crazy that "arguably" the best 155er isn't in the UFC. Chandler.

Edited: 02/02/13 1:25 PM

@Lay'n'pray Agreed.  Having said that, if anyone has a chance to be a 3 division champ, it's Edgar.

Kinkle

"He could make 35. Can he beat Aldo and Cruz/Barao/MacDonald? Remains to be seen."

Can Edgar beat 135lb fighter??? Are you fucking serious asking that?
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

orcus - 

I wouldn't say terribly either, but Aldo still has the height, weight, and reach advantage.

You assume on the weight thing. Don't assume as Dede has said they stopped Aldo from being so massive and cutting so much weight after the difficult cuts against Kflo and Hominick.

I would bet they are within 5lbs of eachother.

2/2/13 1:27 PM

Kinkle - "He could make 35. Can he beat Aldo and Cruz/Barao/MacDonald? Remains to be seen."

Confused by your question... Can he beat a 135 lb fighter?  Sure he could.  He can beat 90% of them.  However, cutting 20 lbs and losing his speed advantage makes me question whether he can beat the BW champ (be it Cruz, Barao, or McDonald).

2/2/13 1:27 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Kinkle - "He could make 35. Can he beat Aldo and Cruz/Barao/MacDonald? Remains to be seen."

You do realize that one of Edgars MAIN traits that helped win him most of his fights is his speed compared to big 155ers, right?

Pretty sure that Barao and Cruz are faster than Bendo and Maynard.

2/2/13 1:28 PM

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
orcus - 

You assume on the weight thing. Don't assume as Dede has said they stopped Aldo from being so massive and cutting so much weight after the difficult cuts against Kflo and Hominick.

I would bet they are within 5lbs of eachother.

I agree.  Aldo really doesn't look that  much bigger than Edgar.  He's trimmed down since the Hominick fight, IIRC he was 5-7 lbs lighter in the Mendes fight than the Hominick one.

2/2/13 1:29 PM
Kinkle

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

You do realize that one of Edgars MAIN traits that helped win him most of his fights is his speed compared to big 155ers, right?

Pretty sure that Barao and Cruz are faster than Bendo and Maynard.

Edgar could easily take them down and smash their heads through the mat. The strength advantage would be enormous.
2/2/13 1:29 PM
orcus

Kinkle - You can argue that Edgar is the best at 155, but you'd definitely be wrong. Benson is OBVIOUSLY the best. I agree though, Edgar is the #1 P4P and will beat Aldo tonight to be undisputed #1 P4P.

Many, including me, think he won the second fight with Benson. Sherdog's pbp had two of their writers scoring it for Edgar and the third scoring it a draw. Sports Illustrated and in fact most media thought Edgar won.

This, plus Edgar KOing Maynard, dominating BJ, and pounding out Bocek (whom Benson went the distance with) make it easily arguable that Edgar is better than Benson.

2/2/13 1:30 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Edited: 02/02/13 1:30 PM

@kinkle: Yes and you know this because......oh that's right you don't. You just love Frankie and assume he will handle a cut he hasn't made since college and be exactly the same fighter...

2/2/13 1:31 PM
orcus

"You assume on the weight thing. Don't assume as Dede has said they stopped Aldo from being so massive and cutting so much weight after the difficult cuts against Kflo and Hominick."

Yes, they stopped him cutting from 170. Edgar was only cutting from 162 at his heaviest at 155. 

"I would bet they are within 5lbs of eachother."

In other words, Aldo will have the height, reach, and weight advantage, as I said :P

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.