2/2/13 1:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
orcus - 

"I wouldn't say Frankie is terribly outside vs. Aldo. They seem close enough."

I wouldn't say terribly either, but Aldo still has the height, weight, and reach advantage.

You assume on the weight thing. Don't assume as Dede has said they stopped Aldo from being so massive and cutting so much weight after the difficult cuts against Kflo and Hominick.

I would bet they are within 5lbs of eachother.

I agree.  Aldo really doesn't look that  much bigger than Edgar.  He's trimmed down since the Hominick fight, IIRC he was 5-7 lbs lighter in the Mendes fight than the Hominick one.

Yep. IIRC Dede said they have him around 155-160 going into the final week/final cut. That's about where Edgar is too.

Hominick and Kflo he was almost 170 ffs. and the infection from Hominick fight made the cut terrible.  

2/2/13 1:33 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

orcus - 

"You assume on the weight thing. Don't assume as Dede has said they stopped Aldo from being so massive and cutting so much weight after the difficult cuts against Kflo and Hominick."

Yes, they stopped him cutting from 170. Edgar was only cutting from 162 at his heaviest at 155. 

"I would bet they are within 5lbs of eachother."

In other words, Aldo will have the height, reach, and weight advantage, as I said :P

I wasn't saying you were wrong Orcus. Settle down.

Aldo may not have a weight advantage. They may both very well end up around 155-160 in the cage.

2/2/13 1:34 PM
Kinkle

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

@kinkle: Yes and you know this because......oh that's right you don't. You just love Frankie and assume he will handle a cut he hasn't made since college and be exactly the same fighter...

This whole forum is based on assumptions, you are assuming a lot in this thread also. I don't love Frankie, I rooted for Benson. I am just using my brain here, I think he will beat Aldo pretty handedly. I think if he went down to 135 (he is a wrestler, he can cut weight smartly) he would demolish that division.
2/2/13 1:34 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
459 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

@kinkle: Yes and you know this because......oh that's right you don't. You just love Frankie and assume he will handle a cut he hasn't made since college and be exactly the same fighter...

Kinkle is right, my friend.  Just look at the precedents:

Tyson Griffin dropping to FW and smashing Palaszewski

Faber going down to 135 and manhandling Cruz and Barao

Anthony Johnson (the frame of a 205er) imposing his massive strength advantage on Koscheck

2/2/13 1:36 PM
MasterofMartialArts
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -
aaronlynton -  Can he cut to 35? Future 3 weight class champ ? Phone Post

He could make 35.  Can he beat Aldo and Cruz/Barao/MacDonald?  Remains to be seen.

It's unlikely, but if anyone can do it, it's Frankie. Phone Post
2/2/13 1:36 PM
Kinkle

"Many, including me, think he won the second fight with Benson. Sherdog's pbp had two of their writers scoring it for Edgar and the third scoring it a draw. Sports Illustrated and in fact most media thought Edgar won.

This, plus Edgar KOing Maynard, dominating BJ, and pounding out Bocek (whom Benson went the distance with) make it easily arguable that Edgar is better than Benson."

So you'd be left with Benson having a clearcut win over Edgar, Edgar having a controversial/close decision win over Benson. Then you'd have an argument, that isn't what happened though Benson won, and just annihilated Nate Diaz, he is da best.
2/2/13 1:38 PM
Kinkle

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

Anthony Johnson (the frame of a 205er) imposing his massive strength advantage on Koscheck

This isn't even worth a response....
2/2/13 1:39 PM
XcessiveZ
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A win for Frankie puts him in exclusive company in terms of titles in multiple weight classes. A win for Aldo will really speak volumes in terms of how talented he is, especially if he can finish Edgar.Lots of people saying Aldo hasn't faced top competition. Phone Post
2/2/13 1:40 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gil could make 145 also
2/2/13 1:42 PM
Willin
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

liquidrob - Gil could make 145 also
Gil won't beat anyone in the top 5 in the UFC. Who cares? Phone Post
2/2/13 1:43 PM
Wasa-B
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crazy indeed.

All the more reason to love this fight and realize its a true SUPERFIGHT!
2/2/13 1:44 PM
Wasa-B
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

liquidrob - Gil could make 145 also

Says who?

Can Anderson still make 167?
2/2/13 1:46 PM
dahosse
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it's because Edgar has that friendly face that people underrate him so badly. He's said as much himself. Not sure Jose's tombstone face is going to keep Edgar from mauling him like a terrier, though. Phone Post
2/2/13 1:51 PM
morse
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cant wait for this fight. Aldo by ko/tko if this goes under 3 rounds. After 3 rounds I think Frankie will take it by decision.

2/2/13 1:53 PM
Wasa-B

Edgar does look thicker here but he looks closer to his normal build where Aldo looks like he will refill out more.

2/2/13 1:53 PM
OGT

I'm surprised how many people are overlooking (of all people) Jose Aldo..... Never thought I'd see the day lol.

If Frankie beats Aldo then great let's speculate what he could do at 135. I'd like to see how his first fight at 145 goes though Phone Post
2/2/13 1:59 PM
dakillermiller

Wait. Do people really think Henderson won the 2nd fight?
2/2/13 2:01 PM
HolyHackZack
400 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And always the underdog.
2/2/13 2:02 PM
eljamaiquino

orcus - 
Kinkle - You can argue that Edgar is the best at 155, but you'd definitely be wrong. Benson is OBVIOUSLY the best. I agree though, Edgar is the #1 P4P and will beat Aldo tonight to be undisputed #1 P4P.

Many, including me, think he won the second fight with Benson. Sherdog's pbp had two of their writers scoring it for Edgar and the third scoring it a draw. Sports Illustrated and in fact most media thought Edgar won.

This, plus Edgar KOing Maynard, dominating BJ, and pounding out Bocek (whom Benson went the distance with) make it easily arguable that Edgar is better than Benson.

If you choose to ignore the judges' decision and go with popular opinion, you have to acknowledge that many thought BJ won the first fight (thus Edgar should never have been champ), and that Maynard did enough to win the second fight. He lost to Henderson in the first fight too according to most.

I just think the best 155'er shouldn't need to fight a guy multiple times to get a definitive win. Frankie does learn from every fight, but he really should have lost the first BJ fight. He lost to Maynard the first time, should have lost the second, and he lost to Henderson the first time around.

If he loses a decision to Aldo, I'm really not that excited about him begging for another rematch in order to adjust....
2/2/13 2:02 PM
Wasa-B

dakillermiller - Wait. Do people really think Henderson won the 2nd fight?

i actually havent seen the whole thing but either way, there was enough chatter and writers giving it to Frankie so Bendo is not the undisputed champ. Like the guy, he domnated Nate, etc, getting better all the time but if there is that much disagreement in the decision, i dont think you can be considered an undisputed champ when there was so much actual dispute to it in the first place.
2/2/13 2:18 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Kinkle - 
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

This isn't even worth a response....

Because you don't like the reality than many who dropped weight classes haven't done well, and you would rather go with your assumptions that Edgar will translate well to 135?

2/2/13 2:21 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Glovegate - 

Edgar being champ at 155 is roughly equivalent to GSP being champ at LHW or Anderson at HW.  The kid is definitely high up, p4p-wise.

Yeah no. Edgar at 155 was 155-163ish in weight and fit and lean.

That would be GSP at MW (being 190)

Anderson at LHW (being 200-205)

You got a little carried away there.

2/2/13 2:31 PM
orcus

"If you choose to ignore the judges' decision and go with popular opinion, you have to acknowledge that many thought BJ won the first fight (thus Edgar should never have been champ), and that Maynard did enough to win the second fight. He lost to Henderson in the first fight too according to most."

First BJ fight was essentially a draw (I thought Edgar won). A rematch was necessary and Edgar dominated. Therefore Edgar is better than BJ. Second Maynard fight was essentially a draw (I and iirc most, including Dana, thought Edgar won). Rematch was necessary and Edgar won by KO -- Edgar is better than Maynard. Both Henderson fights were essentially a draw, Dana thought Edgar won the first, I think actually the majority think Edgar won the second. There is very little claim to say with confidence that Benson is better than Edgar, and aside from their two fights, Edgar has the bigger, better wins.

"I just think the best 155'er shouldn't need to fight a guy multiple times to get a definitive win."

Then we're in a bit of a quandary because Benson has no definitive wins over Edgar either. Who is the best 155er?

2/2/13 2:33 PM
gooddoc

xsrg95 - 
Entreri - If he wins tonight, #1 P4P.

2/2/13 2:35 PM
Festus
379 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -

is fighting at 145 and STILL being outsized by his opponent.

Edgar is a true p4p great. If he wins tonight I think he has to be high in the discussion.

Such genius in this post I just had to quote it to be associated with brilliance.

Very true Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.