UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What did Chad Mendes Do Wrong?

2/5/13 10:27 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shaqitup
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Either the UFC is trying to revamp his image from decision fighter to quick finisher, or he somehow ended up on the  bad side of UFC matchmakers.

One day he's fighting for the title as an undefeated challenger, and after losing to Jose aldo he somehow gets sent all the way down to the bottom of the barrell. 

Neither of his first 2 opponents after the fight seem to be ranked within TOP 50 FW's in MMA, and may not even crack the top 100.

I guess he's lucky in the fact that he now gets to face a ranked opponent in Manny Gamburyan, who seems to be ranked around 20th.

This boost in the UFC's confidence could be a big step for him, and if he somehow is up to this challenge and leaves the cage with a victory will the UFC finally consider giving him a top 15, and dare i say maybe even top 10 opponent?

What Say you UG?

2/5/13 10:37 AM
unfilter
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

after all those UD wins and losing decisively to the champ it could be they were giving him the fitch treatment; burying him in the division while hoping he racks up some finishes, which he has. 

my guess is with a win over manny his hype train could be re-railed.

2/5/13 10:39 AM
OscarGoldmen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mendes is skilled and usually pretty exciting,however Aldo is on another level. I think they are slow tracking him to another shot to keep the fights new and less rematches perhaps. Phone Post
2/5/13 10:39 AM
B_Goetz

From a business standpoint, he's getting paid the same amount to fight easier opponents while he builds back up and continues developing his skill set. This one's on the main card against a well-promoted opponent. I'd say everything is fine.
2/5/13 10:41 AM
Lulz McGee
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lesser level of competition=finishes.

They're not punishing him. Just waiting until he's grown as a fighter or possibly until Aldo moves up to LW permanently. Phone Post
2/5/13 10:42 AM
UGCTT_SidRival
456 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it was a smart move to build him up. He's really starting to hone in on his skills. Would like to see him vs Edgar or Guida after he steam rolls Manny. Phone Post
2/5/13 10:46 AM
Aaron Becker

I agree, I think they are giving him time to gain more experience striking. Hopefully he gets better striking offense and defense so if he rematches Aldo he won't have to spam TDs and can be more comfortable while striking and mixing the TDs in
2/5/13 10:51 AM
HandyDarsh
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The cody mackenzie fight seemed like a gimme, it went how everyone expected.

i guess building him up makes sense? 

2/5/13 10:52 AM
Vitor Me A New One
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He must be doing something right. In the first official rankings released by the UFC he was listed as No.1 behind Aldo! Phone Post
2/5/13 10:55 AM
shaqitup
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vitor Me A New One -  He must be doing something right. In the first official rankings released by the UFC he was listed as No.1 behind Aldo! Phone Post

Yes, so it obviously makes sense that they use him as an insurmountable obstacle for lower ranking UFC talent.

2/5/13 10:59 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

The UFC would love Mendes as the champ. They are slow playing him on purpose. Phone Post
2/5/13 11:00 AM
Mit
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lets see him get passed the anvil first. He's been known to get the w when people done expect him to. Phone Post
2/5/13 11:00 AM
Tomato Can
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't see anything wrong with the Gamburyan matchup. It seems pretty sensible.

I wanna know why they're not pushing Robbie Peralta up the ladder. He beat Takaya (DREAM FW champ) in Strikeforce and in his most recent fight he destroyed Jason Young in 23 seconds, and his next opponent is ... Akira Corassani?
2/5/13 11:03 AM
Mit
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomato Can - I don't see anything wrong with the Gamburyan matchup. It seems pretty sensible.

I wanna know why they're not pushing Robbie Peralta up the ladder. He beat Takaya (DREAM FW champ) in Strikeforce and in his most recent fight he destroyed Jason Young in 23 seconds, and his next opponent is ... Akira Corassani?
I believe that fight takes place in a garden in Sweden. Phone Post
2/5/13 11:06 AM
shaqitup

Tomato Can - I don't see anything wrong with the Gamburyan matchup. It seems pretty sensible.

Yes it is rather sensible for the #1 ranked contender to face the #20 ranked fighter who has lost 3 of his last 4, only beating a guy who has lost 5 of his last 6.

2/5/13 11:07 AM
B_Goetz

nick diaz nut hugger -  I heard from an undisclosed source inside his camp that he suffers from fraktiphobia, Greek for "a fear of fences" following Aldo's KO of him, and it has made him unable to go near a fence and Jose Aldo at the same time. Flashbacks of the loss are also rumored to have caused him to flee the scene of a bar fight he was in last year, though I can't officially confirm any of this Phone Post

I wouldn't blame him, since the fence was instrumental in helping Aldo beat him.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm220/B_Goetz/AldoCheat_zps9adf8c0d.gif
2/5/13 11:09 AM
Tomato Can
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shaqitup - 
Tomato Can - I don't see anything wrong with the Gamburyan matchup. It seems pretty sensible.

Yes it is rather sensible for the #1 ranked contender to face the #20 ranked fighter who has lost 3 of his last 4, only beating a guy who has lost 5 of his last 6.

I don't consider Mendes to be a #1 contender no matter what the "official" rankings say.
2/5/13 11:14 AM
Vitor Me A New One
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shaqitup -
Vitor Me A New One -  He must be doing something right. In the first official rankings released by the UFC he was listed as No.1 behind Aldo! Phone Post

Yes, so it obviously makes sense that they use him as an insurmountable obstacle for lower ranking UFC talent.

Personally I think Lamas should be ahead of Mendes but that's just my opinion. Phone Post
2/5/13 11:14 AM
Infamous Ed

Aldo kinda obliterated him, so he can either move divisions or climb a long ladder Phone Post
2/5/13 11:16 AM
naughtiidawg liver kicked my SN
681 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mendes vs Lamas would solidify a spot for either. Taking out Cody M. Isn't exactly #2 status worthy Phone Post
2/5/13 11:17 AM
naughtiidawg liver kicked my SN
681 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alas, if he beats Manny decisively, maybe. Phone Post
2/5/13 11:19 AM
Vitor Me A New One

naughtiidawg liver kicked my SN - Mendes vs Lamas would solidify a spot for either. Taking out Cody M. Isn't exactly #2 status worthy Phone Post
Disagree.

The co-main of the Aldo vs Pettis card should be Lamas vs Zombie to determine No.1 contender.

It's too soon for Mendes to be getting another shot. Give someone else a chance. Phone Post
2/5/13 11:20 AM
Tomato Can

I would have preferred something like Mendes vs. K-Zombie but I still think Manny is a decent enough opponent. After the KO loss to Aldo, Mendes is probably a year and 2-3 wins from another title shot anyway.
2/5/13 11:21 AM
Tomato Can

Edited: 02/05/13 11:22 AM
IMO the best #1 contender fight at 145 right now is Siver vs. Lamas or maybe Guida vs. Lamas although I'd understand their reticence to give Guida anything remotely close to a title shot. K-Zombie is awesome to watch but I've never gotten the idea that he's some sort of elite contender.
2/5/13 11:40 AM
Jsteven
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His last opponent got hurt and they had a late replacement iirc Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.