UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> ESPN UK Possibly leaving UK market

2/7/13 12:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
El Toro UK
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Via Fighters Only

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/content/news/18235-sources-espn-leaving-uk-market?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
2/7/13 1:01 PM
MmanBearPig
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hopefully they get it on fox here too
2/7/13 1:01 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

leaving to where? africa?

2/7/13 1:03 PM
Bwatermyfren
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd say Sky Sports will take over showing the UFC. Phone Post
2/7/13 1:07 PM
BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bwatermyfren -  I'd say Sky Sports will take over showing the UFC. Phone Post

Doubt it, they don't seem to give a fuck about it. Think they still see it as some silly we fringe sport.

2/7/13 1:09 PM
SonnendbySilva
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane -

Doubt it, they don't seem to give a fuck about it. Think they still see it as some silly we fringe sport.

I hope ur wrong. I think the coverage would be awesome. And at least it would show up on the listings. I can't find this weekends show on sky. Phone Post
2/7/13 1:21 PM
Taz Styles
3589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SonnendbySilva - 

I hope ur wrong. I think the coverage would be awesome. And at least it would show up on the listings. I can't find this weekends show on sky. Phone Post

What show this weekend?
2/7/13 1:21 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TUF was on Sky Sports a couple of years ago. IIRC there was a TUF finale on FX a couple of years ago also. I remember the deal with Sky Sorts was also to include a UFC page on skysports.com and news updates on Sky News. We got the updates on Sky News for a couple of months and there is a dedicated UFC page on the website but it never gets updated or if it does it is always late. TBH I don't think Sky are interested. I remember Dana telling us all to call Sky and demand it be on PPV. As if that will happen.

FX has rebranded to Fox. IMO this would be a great channel for UFC. It's part of Sky's basic package, it's also on Virgin as well. It's not a popular channel over here but they could build it just like they are doing with Fuel and FX in the USA. Fox UK is probably in more homes than ESPN UK. Phone Post
2/7/13 1:32 PM
Terry Etim for dinner
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wouldn't be surprised, after they lose the premier league rights next season they don't have much content they can sell to subscribers.
2/7/13 1:36 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Terry Etim for dinner - Wouldn't be surprised, after they lose the premier league rights next season they don't have much content they can sell to subscribers.
They already have lost that. BT Vision out bided them.

ESPN are falling apart. They have also come out and said they are thinking of dropping the Scottish Premier League due to poor numbers. Phone Post
2/7/13 1:39 PM
Terry Etim for dinner
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah that's what I meant. Didn't word it very well I guess.
2/7/13 1:42 PM
DanUK
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FYI I think this is the normal ESPN UK channel, not ESPN America etc.

So there is still possibly a home for UFC, but it will need to find space alongside the baseball, college sports etc.

Also, UFC on ESPN UK has always been a short term contract - Sky Sports should be the permanent home of the UFC with the ability to put the TUF programming and Prelims on Sky One for extra viewers..
2/7/13 1:43 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life

Terry Etim for dinner - Yeah that's what I meant. Didn't word it very well I guess.
Sorry mate, I didn't read your post very well :)

We're on the same wave length brother. ESPN UK are fucked. Phone Post
2/7/13 1:47 PM
Uncle Muay Thai
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If sky sports buy the rights, they will make a shit to of money due to people subscribing to their channels. I'm not to pleased that espn may be closing down as an 30 quid a month for sky sports on top of my other bills is not good. Hopefully fox uk will get the nod. Phone Post
2/7/13 2:01 PM
El Toro UK
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life -  TUF was on Sky Sports a couple of years ago. IIRC there was a TUF finale on FX a couple of years ago also. I remember the deal with Sky Sorts was also to include a UFC page on skysports.com and news updates on Sky News. We got the updates on Sky News for a couple of months and there is a dedicated UFC page on the website but it never gets updated or if it does it is always late. TBH I don't think Sky are interested. I remember Dana telling us all to call Sky and demand it be on PPV. As if that will happen.

FX has rebranded to Fox. IMO this would be a great channel for UFC. It's part of Sky's basic package, it's also on Virgin as well. It's not a popular channel over here but they could build it just like they are doing with Fuel and FX in the USA. Fox UK is probably in more homes than ESPN UK. Phone Post

Yeah it's difficult to tell if SKY are seriously interested. They had an opportunity to take it from ESPN last year but for whatever reason it never happened.I think one of the main reasons why they've hired that Ex-Manchester City fella Gary Cook is to secure that big TV deal they're after.

I can't remember whether it was the Birmingham or Nottingham press conference but Dana did say something like if they secure the right TV deal over here then they can bring live FOX/Numbered events back to the UK.

FOX UK & SKY are owned by the same company so hopefully they can decide which channel to show events on and sort out a long term deal that gives us better coverage and more US style content.

2/7/13 2:05 PM
Terry Etim for dinner

I hope skysports take it - they have plenty of channels showing shite currently. UFC can surely draw more than netball or fucking poker!
2/7/13 3:01 PM
Madmuzzy

Sky arent going to do PPV like UFC want, Sky has been stung by 2 big boxing PPV (Haye/Klitchko and Haye/Harrison)and i imagine the way they are looking at it is if David Haye a big draw in the UK cant get good numbers then UFC is not worth the effort from them. Their may be light at the end of the tunnel because Sky recently announced they will be doing Froch/Kessler on PPV so maybe they are looking to get back in the market.
2/7/13 3:30 PM
UFCUKSTYLE

Edited: 02/07/13 3:31 PM
YES! Anything is better than the cunty coverage from ESPN! They really don't give a shit.
2/7/13 3:32 PM
UFCUKSTYLE

Just pray that Sky takes this! Would be big for the sport, BIG.
2/7/13 3:36 PM
Bootsy Collins
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck paying what Sky Sports costs
2/7/13 3:49 PM
SonnendbySilva
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mr mofo -
Mr mofo -
Bwatermyfren - I'd say Sky Sports will take over showing the UFC. Phone Post
Try looking next week. Phone Post
Wrong quote Phone Post
I'm fucked with dates and times this week. Sky box failed on tuf this week TWICE. And I thought it was the London show this Saturday, still it didn't come up as next week but maybe it's too early. Phone Post
2/7/13 4:10 PM
Bwatermyfren

As far as I know they have dropped all other mma organisations they currently show.

I have a feeling that this is because they are going to get the rights to show the UFC.

I could be totally wrong but this is just what I think. Phone Post
2/7/13 4:16 PM
jj93

If it goes to sky and it's ppv can't see many people staying up 3 till 6 and paying for it aswell Phone Post
2/7/13 4:24 PM
BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane

jj93 -  If it goes to sky and it's ppv can't see many people staying up 3 till 6 and paying for it aswell Phone Post

Agreed. PPV just wouldn't work over here. Like it or not MMA is still a fringe sport in the UK. Look at it this way, in day to day life most people don't have a clue who Bisping is.

2/7/13 5:08 PM
El Gappo
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mr mofo -  Why would you want it to move away from ESPN onto Sky? Sky means PPV, that's 'the right deal' DFW is looking for.

PPV with 3am starts is ridiculous. It used to be a novelty to do it for the Lennox Lewis fights once a year but with the amount of cards they have it wont work.

If we lose ESPN we most likely will have to suffer PPV's or rely on paying a smaller fee on UFV.tv, neither model works.

They started out well over here but seem to have neglected the UK market in terms of exposure and events. Most people dont know who Anderson Silva is or GSP let alone Bisping and Hardy.

It's a difficult nut to crack but can be done. A UFC channel might work of you paid say £20-£30 a month and it included all shows that are shown on FX and Fox as well as the fights cards themselves (PPV's included).

I'd happily pay for that. Phone Post

Rather continue paying £15 a month for ESPN and getting everything... Any fan whinging about that needs to stfu, we get an awesome deal.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.