UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> ESPN UK Possibly leaving UK market

2/7/13 5:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FOX Force Five
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm happy as is. I have a top up TV box for freeview with a £11 a month ESPN sub.

I don't really want to put money Murdoch's way.
2/7/13 5:36 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Haye v Klitchko fight was what destroyed PPV on Sky Sports. Sky received thousands of complaints from people who were actually able to view the fight but the thing a lot of people don't know is they lost millions due to their systems breaking down. There were about 60,000 people in the q trying to book the fight but the system couldn't handle it and crashed. They were unable to fix it.

On top of that they paid hundreds of people double time to come in and take the calls ( I was one of them). Sky got stung badly and because of that they stopped PPV boxing.

I'm just a phone dude for Sky (TV, BB and Phone technical) but when I get into work on Monday I'll start asking why they have never went for the UFC. TBH I doubt I'll get an answer, but I'll try.

I don't think it's worth their while. 95% of their ESPN customers already have Sky Sports so why would they pay millions to the UFC for no return. Virgin customers wouldn't jump to Sky as they can already view Sky Sports on Virgin. If they put UFC on Sky Sports 3 or 4 then they may get some of Virgins customers as Virgin don't get 3 and 4 in HD. Freeview and BT Vision customers may come to Sky but in reality there aren't many of them. There aren't a lot of UFC fans in the UK. Phone Post
2/7/13 5:38 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The bottom line is they would have to pay millions to the UFC, millions to market the Sport so new fans would watch and it probably isn't worth their while.

IMHO Phone Post
2/7/13 5:39 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life

Mr Mister - You lads are more in the know than me, isn't Sky owned by Fox? I really don't understand why MMA hasn't made a mainstream network here. The sport has grown a lot now over here Phone Post
No, both are owned by News Corp. The phone hackers. Phone Post
2/7/13 5:41 PM
Hazard 76
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't be bothered to search, but I am convinced that I read an article stating that UFC was moving to Sky Sports soon. Think it said in the summer........

I'm positive I read this somewhere......I could be wrong, but that's unlikely. I'm not usually wrong more than once a year!

*_*
2/7/13 5:45 PM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BBC have lost quite a bit to Sky Sports. BBC getting UFC rights would be huge for them imo
2/7/13 5:49 PM
BigTedBear
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really don't want this on sky sports you just know they are going to pull the same crap as the WWE cards where they give you half and half are on PPV. After trying to grow the sport I think people have a limit to what they are willing to pay after being used to the current espn deal and they would lose fans. They need to accept that PPV just does not work in the U.K. Sky have to take part of the blame for the mess boxing is in Dana won't be happy if they lose viewers. Phone Post
2/7/13 6:18 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life

Hazard 76 - Can't be bothered to search, but I am convinced that I read an article stating that UFC was moving to Sky Sports soon. Think it said in the summer........

I'm positive I read this somewhere......I could be wrong, but that's unlikely. I'm not usually wrong more than once a year!

*_*
If you come across this article please post it on this forum brother. Phone Post
2/7/13 6:24 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life

Mr Mister -
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life -
Mr Mister - You lads are more in the know than me, isn't Sky owned by Fox? I really don't understand why MMA hasn't made a mainstream network here. The sport has grown a lot now over here Phone Post
But surely if they are both under the same ownership they could've made a deal by now? Phone Post
You would think so. Around the time the Fox USA deal was secured this was when the TUF Finale was on FX UK (now Fox UK). Read my first post buddy, there were loads of happenings with Sky and UFC around that time but for some reason everything just fizzled out.

If Sky got UFC they wouldn't put it on PPV right away, it takes time to build PPV in the UK. The numbers wouldn't be worth it. They would have to market the shit out of it. Who's gonna pick up the tab for that? Dana or Sky? Phone Post
2/7/13 6:40 PM
El Toro UK
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life - 
Mr Mister -
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life -
But surely if they are both under the same ownership they could've made a deal by now? Phone Post
You would think so. Around the time the Fox USA deal was secured this was when the TUF Finale was on FX UK (now Fox UK). Read my first post buddy, there were loads of happenings with Sky and UFC around that time but for some reason everything just fizzled out.

If Sky got UFC they wouldn't put it on PPV right away, it takes time to build PPV in the UK. The numbers wouldn't be worth it. They would have to market the shit out of it. Who's gonna pick up the tab for that? Dana or Sky? Phone Post

Yeah agreed SKY wouldn't put it on PPV, ESPN UK is getting over 60,000 viewers per 3am show at the moment. It wouldn't be worthwhile for SKY or the UFC.

They could experiment with the PPV model on UK/European as you'd obviously get way more viewers.
2/7/13 6:44 PM
HitchieG
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Could be dark times ahead for us UFC fans from the UK. Is like a dedicated ufc channel and subscription where we can watch all the events, primetimes, specials and ufc tonight, old tuf and new tuf etc. That's the way forward. 24 hr mma programming lol Phone Post
2/7/13 6:57 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life

I'm sure channel 5 have previously shown interest but they currently have a deal with a Poker company. As I stated earlier I think FOX UK would be a good option.

Primetime would be the worst, I'd have to actually pay for them then. :) Phone Post
2/7/13 7:09 PM
FearTheClown
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bwatermyfren -  I'd say Sky Sports will take over showing the UFC. Phone Post

The day this happens, is the day I stop watching UFC.

I'd rather watch old KOTC re-runs at 2am on Extreme Sports channel than pay £15 a month to watch the FOX, FX and Fuel shows and then an extra £15 on SKy Box Office for the numbered PPV events.

2/7/13 7:10 PM
Tartan warrior
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pancake Syrup - BBC have lost quite a bit to Sky Sports. BBC getting UFC rights would be huge for them imo

Bahahaha.....I hope you were joking.
2/7/13 7:14 PM
tomp6581
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sky won't take UFC. They would have don't it years ago if they wanted to.

They are boxing friendly in the UK. Phone Post
2/7/13 7:16 PM
Tartan warrior

Uncle Muay Thai -  If sky sports buy the rights, they will make a shit to of money due to people subscribing to their channels. I'm not to pleased that espn may be closing down as an 30 quid a month for sky sports on top of my other bills is not good. Hopefully fox uk will get the nod. Phone Post

If there were that many viewers ESPN UK would stay in business just for the UFC. And again if there were that many viewers dana would set up PPV himself on one of the many platforms available. UFC is not not even a fringe sport in this country and isn't worth a massive amount to whoever buys the rights to show it. It will never challenge the big sports (football, rugby, cricket, F1 etc) over here and I dont think it will ever even challenge a sport such as the NFL. Fans are deluded if they think MMA is big business in the UK.
2/7/13 7:18 PM
Tartan warrior

Terry Etim for dinner - I hope skysports take it - they have plenty of channels showing shite currently. UFC can surely draw more than netball or fucking poker!

Poker is big business for any channel due to the add revenue that poker websites pay the channels. Sky also has it's own poker and betting sites...
2/7/13 7:19 PM
Tartan warrior

Bwatermyfren - 
BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane -
Bwatermyfren -  I'd say Sky Sports will take over showing the UFC. Phone Post

Doubt it, they don't seem to give a fuck about it. Think they still see it as some silly we fringe sport.

As far as I know they have dropped all other mma organisations they currently show.

I have a feeling that this is because they are going to get the rights to show the UFC.

I could be totally wrong but this is just what I think. Phone Post

No.

They've dropped all MMA because viewing figures are crap and it's not worth the money.
2/7/13 7:20 PM
Tartan warrior

Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life -  The Haye v Klitchko fight was what destroyed PPV on Sky Sports. Sky received thousands of complaints from people who were actually able to view the fight but the thing a lot of people don't know is they lost millions due to their systems breaking down. There were about 60,000 people in the q trying to book the fight but the system couldn't handle it and crashed. They were unable to fix it.

On top of that they paid hundreds of people double time to come in and take the calls ( I was one of them). Sky got stung badly and because of that they stopped PPV boxing.

I'm just a phone dude for Sky (TV, BB and Phone technical) but when I get into work on Monday I'll start asking why they have never went for the UFC. TBH I doubt I'll get an answer, but I'll try.

I don't think it's worth their while. 95% of their ESPN customers already have Sky Sports so why would they pay millions to the UFC for no return. Virgin customers wouldn't jump to Sky as they can already view Sky Sports on Virgin. If they put UFC on Sky Sports 3 or 4 then they may get some of Virgins customers as Virgin don't get 3 and 4 in HD. Freeview and BT Vision customers may come to Sky but in reality there aren't many of them. There aren't a lot of UFC fans in the UK. Phone Post

Really good post. Thanks!!
2/7/13 7:20 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life

Tartan warrior -
Uncle Muay Thai -  If sky sports buy the rights, they will make a shit to of money due to people subscribing to their channels. I'm not to pleased that espn may be closing down as an 30 quid a month for sky sports on top of my other bills is not good. Hopefully fox uk will get the nod. Phone Post

If there were that many viewers ESPN UK would stay in business just for the UFC. And again if there were that many viewers dana would set up PPV himself on one of the many platforms available. UFC is not not even a fringe sport in this country and isn't worth a massive amount to whoever buys the rights to show it. It will never challenge the big sports (football, rugby, cricket, F1 etc) over here and I dont think it will ever even challenge a sport such as the NFL. Fans are deluded if they think MMA is big business in the UK.
This man has got it.

What do you think will happen if ESPN go under brother? Phone Post
2/7/13 7:34 PM
Tartan warrior

I honestly don't know.

Channel 5 is the best option imo. But they have that stupid roullete shit on every night. 5 used to be amazing for NHL and MLB but they slashed the budget. If they're not willing to pay for marque sports then it will surprise me if they back MMA.
2/7/13 7:44 PM
JustPeed
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn it. I'm moving to the UK in 3 months and I just had it figured out of what channels I need for ufc. When will these changes happen? Phone Post
2/7/13 7:48 PM
JustPeed
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JustPeed - Damn it. I'm moving to the UK in 3 months and I just had it figured out of what channels I need for ufc. When will these changes happen? Phone Post
And I was beyond happy that I would be paying £15 a month for all ufc coverage compared to $60 for every ppv on top of my subscription to fuel/fx if ufc moves to SKY would they seriously make the numbered events PPV? For a 3am start? Phone Post
2/7/13 8:04 PM
UGCTT_snsheehan

Worst case scenario is UFC on primetime and we have to pay for PPV and nobody will buy it or even know its on.

If ESPN stay its great - we are doing just fine now as it is, they give us all the main fights and other bits also.

Best case scenario imo is if Sky get it and dont put any cards on box office. We would get all the cards, they have the platform to air all prelims, ufc tonight, fight replays, primetime etc. Sky Sports news covering UFC would be MASSIVE for MMA as it would draw lots of people in and they will market it like hell.

Negatives of going to sky are they alot of mma fans arnt big fans of other sports so dont want to fork out the money for sky sports. Im afraid is gonna have to be tough on them because the vast majority of the target market will be sports fans in general - MMA die hards are a very small minority at the moment

It would be a big mistake to put UFC on sky nox office. I am a massive fan, wacth every card from the first facebook prelim - watch all the interviews etc, but I can say for one thing I wont be paying €21 (im in ireland) to watch a UFC PPV at 3am.

I would tolerate if UFC brought 3-4 numbered shows a year to europe and charge us PPV for those at a normal time and give them for free to the Americans. That seems fair
2/7/13 8:23 PM
Tartan warrior

UGCTT_snsheehan - Worst case scenario is UFC on primetime and we have to pay for PPV and nobody will buy it or even know its on.

If ESPN stay its great - we are doing just fine now as it is, they give us all the main fights and other bits also.

Best case scenario imo is if Sky get it and dont put any cards on box office. We would get all the cards, they have the platform to air all prelims, ufc tonight, fight replays, primetime etc. Sky Sports news covering UFC would be MASSIVE for MMA as it would draw lots of people in and they will market it like hell.

Negatives of going to sky are they alot of mma fans arnt big fans of other sports so dont want to fork out the money for sky sports. Im afraid is gonna have to be tough on them because the vast majority of the target market will be sports fans in general - MMA die hards are a very small minority at the moment

It would be a big mistake to put UFC on sky nox office. I am a massive fan, wacth every card from the first facebook prelim - watch all the interviews etc, but I can say for one thing I wont be paying €21 (im in ireland) to watch a UFC PPV at 3am.

I would tolerate if UFC brought 3-4 numbered shows a year to europe and charge us PPV for those at a normal time and give them for free to the Americans. That seems fair

I take it you missed the part where a guy that actually works for sky posted on this thread contradicting a lot of what you just posted including the part where you said mma fans dont like other sports. I'm pretty sure he put the figure at 95% of ESPN subscribers having sky sports as well.

Sky having UFC would be a bad thing just like it has been for most of the big sports that they have now that were once on bbc, itv, c4 or c5. The best case scenario for any sport is to have it on free to air TV and that option is channel 5 because none of the other channels will touch it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.