UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> ESPN UK Possibly leaving UK market

2/8/13 12:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SonnendbySilva
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

El Toro UK - Not sure if anyone has mentioned before but the UFC.tv apps on the iPad and iPhone are charging £5.49 to watch Fuel,FX and FOX cards.

The numbered PPV events the price is £10.99

If u buy them can u watch them later? Or do u have to stream it there and then? Our Internet connection is dog shit Phone Post
2/8/13 12:47 PM
El Toro UK
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SonnendbySilva - 
El Toro UK - Not sure if anyone has mentioned before but the UFC.tv apps on the iPad and iPhone are charging £5.49 to watch Fuel,FX and FOX cards.

If u buy them can u watch them later? Or do u have to stream it there and then? Our Internet connection is dog shit Phone Post

I've used it a few time when I was away from home and didn't have access to ESPN. I used it on WIFI connection and 3G connection. I had no issues with either stream, the picture quality was really good.

Once you've paid you have live access to the event as it's happening in real time. After the event is over you can view it again as many times you want for a 24 hour period you rewind forward etc...Also if you purchased it on your phone you watch it on your PC

2/8/13 1:41 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the info dude. It will be perfect for when I'm on Holliday.

Also, great work on the UG meet and greet with Dana. I fly into London on the Saturday morning so I'm going to miss it but just wanted to say you have done a great job there. Phone Post
2/8/13 2:52 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana needs to be a little savvy here. Accept a short term shitty deal with SKY, they are easily the best sports promoter in The UK.

SKY will give The UFC the exposure it needs, demand will increase etc.

Shitty deal comes to an end, new contract negotiated based on increased demand/popularity.

As always the time of fights will be a hindrance to any negotiations. Dana needs to accept that unfortunately. Phone Post
2/8/13 4:26 PM
El Toro UK
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life - 

Thanks for the info dude. It will be perfect for when I'm on Holliday.

Also, great work on the UG meet and greet with Dana. I fly into London on the Saturday morning so I'm going to miss it but just wanted to say you have done a great job there. Phone Post

Yeah it's useful for trips + you can watch prelims for free. When ESPN don't show the prelims for certain events you can stream the prelims from your iPhone/iPad to your tv if you have an Apple TV box.

Sorry you can't make it, for the next event we can try arrange it as soon as tickets are released.

If yourself or anyone else who can't attend have any questions you'd like us to put to dana then add post them on the meet & greet thread.
2/10/13 10:02 AM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Outlaw'd by Lytle - "As always the time of fights will be a hindrance to any negotiations. Dana needs to accept that unfortunately."

It was mentioned before about UFC doing more UK shows. It wouldn't take that much, 4 events per year would do it. Event's 1,2 and 3 you would determine who the best UK fighter is, Event 4 you could bring in a big star to fight him, this would build the hype. After a bit of time Event 4 could turn PPV. At the beginning of Event 1 the UFC could even announce who the years best fighter will fight. This will encourage UK viewers to tune into numbered events so they can see who their years best fighter will face. Build some hype, the name UFC does not sell cards in the UK, known fighters will.

There is not one household name in the UK.  Remember folks, Sky had Wrestling on for about 10 years before they sold one PPV. Ricky Hatton and David Haye were on Friday Fight Night for years before they went PPV, and Amir Khan was a household name before he was ever shown on PPV (Olympic's and ITV). Carl Froch has had his ass promoted (on every boxing show) for the last 2 years and only now are Sky going to promote him on PPV. Zuffa need to put a little in here if they want to go PPV. .

Sky need an incentive to show UFC, they already have a monopoly over Sports coverage in the UK. This gives Sky something to work with. 

2/11/13 6:53 AM
El Toro UK

Outlaw'd by Lytle - "As always the time of fights will be a hindrance to any negotiations. Dana needs to accept that unfortunately."

It was mentioned before about UFC doing more UK shows. It wouldn't take that much, 4 events per year would do it. Event's 1,2 and 3 you would determine who the best UK fighter is, Event 4 you could bring in a big star to fight him, this would build the hype. After a bit of time Event 4 could turn PPV. At the beginning of Event 1 the UFC could even announce who the years best fighter will fight. This will encourage UK viewers to tune into numbered events so they can see who their years best fighter will face. Build some hype, the name UFC does not sell cards in the UK, known fighters will.

There is not one household name in the UK.  Remember folks, Sky had Wrestling on for about 10 years before they sold one PPV. Ricky Hatton and David Haye were on Friday Fight Night for years before they went PPV, and Amir Khan was a household name before he was ever shown on PPV (Olympic's and ITV). Carl Froch has had his ass promoted (on every boxing show) for the last 2 years and only now are Sky going to promote him on PPV. Zuffa need to put a little in here if they want to go PPV. .

Sky need an incentive to show UFC, they already have a monopoly over Sports coverage in the UK. This gives Sky something to work with. 

3-4 show sounds about right. I Think this interview mentioned that http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/video_audio/183695.html.

Agree with your points about building up UK fighters on those shows. Could see something like that being applied to Jimi Manuwa or Paul Sass.

I think the only other thing that they need to do support the promotion of fighters and awareness of the sport to new comers is if they put TUF, Coundowns,Primetimes & UFC Tonight type shows on at sensible times in the day.
2/11/13 8:18 AM
NorthernIrishZombie
181 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sky is surely the only thing that makes sense for the UFC. They have the platform to air a LOT of UFC content like FUEL does in the US. Have you seen how many hours per week they devote to WWF and all of their shows between Sky One and the four sports channels? It would mean that shows like UFC Tonight and Primetime etc would have a home rather than just not being aired over here at all.

I noticed that Sky signed up the NBA recently and ever since the day they announced it, I always see NBA stories running on Sky Sports News. Can you imagine having the odd UFC-releated report on Sky Sports News? That alone would be a big thing. Just about every pub in the land constantly has SSN on it's screens.

2/11/13 11:49 AM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life

This isn't official.

i was on internal chatter, I've got a bit of a discussion going on.

Internal word at Sky is ESPN are trying to bail the UK (we know this already).They are bumping Scottish, Italian, German and French football and are currently trying to sell their rights to the FA Cup to anyone who is willing to pay for it.

There is still no official word about what's going to happen but people are saying they would be surprised if Sky go for it due to them putting in millions to boxing and wwe. Everyone is guessing and clutching at straws so really no big updates. Similar to us most people in Sky think Fox UK.

I'll keep the discussion going, maybe someone with a bit of clout will see it. Phone Post
2/11/13 12:02 PM
Lobo8

Thanks for the updates. I dont even live in the uk. But I know that a tv deal integral in the ufc hitting it big in the u.k. Its a very important market for mmas growth. Lets hope this works out well for ufc.
2/11/13 12:26 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life

Lobo8 - Thanks for the updates. I dont even live in the uk. But I know that a tv deal integral in the ufc hitting it big in the u.k. Its a very important market for mmas growth. Lets hope this works out well for ufc.
A TV deal with Sky is vital, especially if Zuffa want to ever change the perception of the Sport over here. People still think it's human cockfighting and it didn't help when Sky showed that damn Cage Fighter Magazine show with the baldy gangsters promoting it.

Tomorrow I'm gonna tell them how big a mistake they made with cagefighter, I should have mentioned they couldn't have hurt the image of the sport any further if they tried by showing that crap.

Recently we had MMA wife's on channel 5 and it promoted the sport brilliantly. Showed the fighters for what they are, professional, dedicated athletes. My Mrs still had to defend the sport to her mates on Facebook after that though, they were all saying how the sport is brutal. Phone Post
2/11/13 12:34 PM
American_Gangster

UK MMA could take off brilliantly if Sky got hold of it.

It could easily gain fans with strong adverts during WWE and football breaks as they're never off sky

And Sky Sports News having a small section and maybe a british fighter having the odd interview

I do think we need more live events over here though

And maybe a strong UFC talk show, we get very little coverage over here, infact Ithink we just get the fights

2/11/13 12:52 PM
Bofbro
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've watched the UFC and MMA for many years, but i would not pay for Sky to watch it.
2/11/13 1:02 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life

Bofbro - I've watched the UFC and MMA for many years, but i would not pay for Sky to watch it.
What platform are you watching it from just now? If it's freeview then you are going to lose access as ESPN are going to be no more.

You will have 3 choices in future, Sky, Virgin or don't watch. Phone Post
2/11/13 1:30 PM
El Toro UK

Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life -  This isn't official.

Internal word at Sky is ESPN are trying to bail the UK (we know this already).They are bumping Scottish, Italian, German and French football and are currently trying to sell their rights to the FA Cup to anyone who is willing to pay for it.

There is still no official word about what's going to happen but people are saying they would be surprised if Sky go for it due to them putting in millions to boxing and wwe. Everyone is guessing and clutching at straws so really no big updates. Similar to us most people in Sky think Fox UK.

I'll keep the discussion going, maybe someone with a bit of clout will see it. Phone Post

I'm going to get my friend who works at sky to see if he can dig out anything. He'll most likely have the same info as you but it's worth a shot.

FOX UK's biggest draw at the moment the is the latest season of Walking Dead other than that you've got double episodes of NCIS,Law & Order,Family Guy and American Dad all day long, plenty of room for UFC content. It's a case of FOX UK being given a budget to secure a UFC deal as it's still a small channel over here.

2/11/13 1:38 PM
El Toro UK

Lobo8 - Thanks for the updates. I dont even live in the uk. But I know that a tv deal integral in the ufc hitting it big in the u.k. Its a very important market for mmas growth. Lets hope this works out well for ufc.
A TV deal with Sky is vital, especially if Zuffa want to ever change the perception of the Sport over here. People still think it's human cockfighting and it didn't help when Sky showed that damn Cage Fighter Magazine show with the baldy gangsters promoting it.

Tomorrow I'm gonna tell them how big a mistake they made with cagefighter, I should have mentioned they couldn't have hurt the image of the sport any further if they tried by showing that crap.

Recently we had MMA wife's on channel 5 and it promoted the sport brilliantly. Showed the fighters for what they are, professional, dedicated athletes. My Mrs still had to defend the sport to her mates on Facebook after that though, they were all saying how the sport is brutal. Phone Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFzyAsel5Ec :-)
2/11/13 2:32 PM
NorthernIrishZombie
181 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ha! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought everyone on Cage Warriors looked like a dodgy East End gangster. Phone Post
2/11/13 2:38 PM
Bofbro
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bofbro - I've watched the UFC and MMA for many years, but i would not pay for Sky to watch it.
What platform are you watching it from just now? If it's freeview then you are going to lose access as ESPN are going to be no more.

I've got Virgin XL.
I was on Sky, but the signal in my area is terrible.
2/11/13 3:46 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life

El Toro UK -
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life -  This isn't official.

I'm going to get my friend who works at sky to see if he can dig out anything. He'll most likely have the same info as you but it's worth a shot.

FOX UK's biggest draw at the moment the is the latest season of Walking Dead other than that you've got double episodes of NCIS,Law & Order,Family Guy and American Dad all day long, plenty of room for UFC content. It's a case of FOX UK being given a budget to secure a UFC deal as it's still a small channel over here.

Ask your friend to join the Sky Life chatter thread. The more posts on there then the more chance we will have of getting one of the big wigs to reply.

Fox UK have just spent loads of money re-branding the channel. Hopefully they have some more money in the kitty. UFC content would be a massive swoop for them. Phone Post
2/11/13 3:53 PM
El Toro UK

Ok I'll mention it to him.

Any idea what the main reason was behind the rebrand from fx to fox?
2/11/13 4:00 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life

Bofbro -

I've got Virgin XL.
I was on Sky, but the signal in my area is terrible.
Is Fox HD on Virgin? I don't think you won't get Sports 3 or 4 in HD but with Virgin you would be able to continue viewing as long as Sky or FOX picked UFC up.

We all have a problem if Sky or Fox don't pick this up guys. If UFC went onto Primetime or some obscure channel then the hopes of growing the Sport in the UK is gone. I've only watched the sport for about 4 or 5 years. I've introduced about 10 friends to the Sport. Of those 10 there are 4 that won't miss an event. Put UFC on some obscure channel on on UFC.tv and UFC will lose viewers.

Is there anything we can do to help get a TV deal? Any ideas guys? Phone Post
2/11/13 4:03 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life

El Toro UK - Ok I'll mention it to him.

Any idea what the main reason was behind the rebrand from fx to fox?
We were told FOX is a more recognised name. Phone Post
2/11/13 4:38 PM
El Toro UK

I'll try asking about this @ the UG DFW Q&A. I Could ask DFW to tell Garry Cook to join us on the UG lol as he'll be the one negoatiating any tv on the UFC's behalf.
2/11/13 5:35 PM
LAE

If Sky buy the rights then expect Sky Sports News to be completely flooded with UFC hype.

Its all about how much money the Ufc would get from the deal, because Sky arent gonna put the Ufc on DVD , expect supercards.

They're really isnt anywhere else to go in the UK. Until then, tge UK wont be getting any fights as big as Rampage vs Hendo for a while. Phone Post
2/11/13 5:48 PM
FearTheClown
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LAE -  If Sky buy the rights then expect Sky Sports News to be completely flooded with UFC hype.

Its all about how much money the Ufc would get from the deal, because Sky arent gonna put the Ufc on DVD , expect supercards.

They're really isnt anywhere else to go in the UK. Until then, tge UK wont be getting any fights as big as Rampage vs Hendo for a while. Phone Post

"Sky aren't gonna put the UFC on DVD"? What the hell are you on about dude?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.