UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> War Machine went to a witch doctor

2/12/13 4:33 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Jack Brown Interview #4 – War Machine – February, 2013

This is the fourth in my series of interviews of MMA fighters and personalities.  Its subject certainly fits into both those categories.  War Machine, AKA Jon Koppenhaver, is a Bellator welterweight, who has also fought in the UFC and was a competitor on TUF 6.  He has had a very colorful life outside of MMA as well, but he is certainly a book that cannot simply be judged by his cover.  Even before interviewing him, I felt that I knew War Machine better than some members of my own family.  That’s because I’ve read all of his revelatory prison blogs online and followed him on Twitter for quite a while.  He is a unique and fascinating individual.  Please enjoy our conversation below.

Jack Brown: What martial art did you first start with when you were young and what do you think about it now?

War Machine: My first “training” was actually when I saw an ad in Black Belt Magazine for Gracie instructional videos and I begged my dad to buy them.  We were both big UFC and Gracie fans, so he did, and we practiced the tapes together.  I still say BJJ is the best art if you HAD to pick ONE.  I was in 7th grade and 13-years-old.

JB: When was your first fighting “competition” and how did you fare?

WM: My first “fight” was actually for some special called “Across the Lines” or something that ended up airing on ESPN2 I believe.  I got a weird phone call from a guy I knew from my hometown, Mark “The Bear” Smith, and he asked if I wanted to fight the following day.  I said yes and next thing I know I’m pulling up to the house of Brian Deegan of Metal Mulisha and I’m getting ready to fight some tatted-up skinhead-looking guy.  LOL - he sucked.  Basically, I took him down, mounted him and smashed him in less than a minute.  It was my first time on TV though, and lots of my friends got to see it, so it was cool.

JB: What are your memories of your first professional fight and do you feel like you were prepared at the time?

WM: My first pro fight isn't even on my Sherdog record and ended in a draw.  I fought some Canadian guy.  I didn't even know who I was fighting until the rules meeting backstage - super disorganized show in Tijuana that my then teammate, Vernon White, arranged for me.  It was two five-minute rounds and we both won one - exactly why you NEED an odd number of rounds in a fight!  It was a good experience because it was a FIGHT.  Going in there and winning too easily is bad mentally.  It programs you with the idea that you'll always win quick and then when the day finally does come for a war, you aren't prepared and it can be a bit of a culture shock.  I always hope for tough first fights for all of my guys.  It just sets the tone right - you're here to FIGHT, not smash on wimps real quick.

JB: You’ve had a lot of exciting fights in your career, but which one were you most satisfied with?

WM: Hard to say - some fights of mine I like because I "look good" in them, some I like because I showed a lot of heart.  I really liked my fight vs. Woods though.  He was a big tough opponent and I was able to show off my striking, wrestling, BJJ and CHIN.

JB: You might be one of the most well-read people that I’ve ever spoken with.  What were some of your favorite books that you read over the past few years?

WM: I read so many books.  It’s kind of a blur, but the favorites: the Genghis Khan series by Conn Iggulden, “Holographic Universe” by Michael Talbot, Malcolm X’s autobiography, “The Hidden Messages in Water” by Emoto, and “Forbidden Science” by Kenyon.

JB: Thanks to Netflix and your insomnia, I think you’ve also watched more documentaries than most people I know.  Did you see “King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters,” and what are some of your favorite documentaries?

WM: No, I haven’t seen the “King of Kong” yet – might have to check it out.  Some of my favorite documentaries on Netflix now are “Knuckle,” “Forks over Knives,” “Zeitgeist,” “The End,” and “The Gerson Miracle.”

JB: I know an injury has set things back, and we’ll all be seeing you on Spike and fighting in Bellator eventually, but do you have anything else in the works?  A book?  A podcast?  A reality show?

WM: Yeah man, the knee really bummed me out.  I’m back training now, but being very careful, and hope to fight before the summer.  I have nothing in the works, but definitely plan on writing a book in the future.

JB: Is there anything more than what you’ve already said on Twitter that you can tell us about your experiences at the witch doctor?

WM: Umm…LOL…I was pretty candid with the whole witch doctor thing from start to finish on my Twitter.  It was a weird experience, but I just had no way to explain the crazy string of “bad luck” I was having, especially with the way it all coincided with my ex-wife moving in with her best friend who just so happened to be a WITCH!  Haha!  Was it all real, or am I just losing it?  Seemed real to me, so I guess that’s all that really matters. 

JB: When you allow yourself to think ahead, what other plans or goals do you have beyond your fighting career?

WM: I definitely plan on opening my own gym in the future.  I think that’s the no-brainer retirement plan for most of us.  The key is to find a place with no competition so you’re not fighting for the scraps like a lot of the gyms do here in San Diego.  I also plan on writing an autobiography one day.  I have led an interesting life and have experienced A LOT.  During my time in jail, I got to read a lot of books, including autobiographies, and I’m talking New York Times’ bestsellers, and I just wasn’t impressed.  If I can put my life down on paper and get it in front of the masses, there’s just no way it doesn’t go HUGE.

JB: Last question, Jon, and this has been unbelievably great.  Out of the many exceptional experiences that you’ve already had in your young life, what are a few that have contributed most to the man you are today?

WM: When I was 20-years-old and a sophomore at The Citadel, I was home for Christmas break when my brother’s probation officer and a few cops stepped by to check his room and ended up cuffing me, beating me, charged me with battery on a peace officer and lied on their report and said that I claimed to be my brother and that was why they were hassling me in the first place.  Anyway, it’s a long story, but after being raised and brainwashed by my police officer father, my country, and my college, I finally WOKE UP and realized how very necessary it is to question authority.  I have to say that one incident is what forever changed me the most.  I never used to believe that stuff really happened.  I thought the cops and the government were the good guys. 

Thanks so much for reading and please follow @WarMachine170 and @jackjohnbrown on Twitter. 

Special thanks to @KirikJenness for @theUG

Keep checking the UG for the next Jack Brown Interview, with UFC veteran middleweight, “Filthy” Tom Lawlor.

Previous interviews:
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/435789/Jack-Brown-Interview-1--Dan-Hardy/
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/435804/Rose-Namajunas-To-survive-is-to-find-meaning-in-the-suffering/
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/435819/The-Jack-Brown-Interview-Joe-Lauzon/

2/12/13 5:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DeuceDroppin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome to see that WM is a dedicated fan of Masvidal! Phone Post
2/12/13 5:31 PM
Crooklyn
778 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Butter, 'cuz I'm on a roll!

Great read. WM is always interesting and entertaining. Hope he sees nothing but success in his future.

2/12/13 5:45 PM
sacuma
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great read!
2/12/13 6:08 PM
OGT
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can really relate to the last answer, great read, seems like a smart guy
2/12/13 6:47 PM
SteelyRes211
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ting tang walla walla bing bang
3/21/13 3:51 PM
Hammerfister
422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Read it yet?
3/21/13 5:48 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
411 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hammerfister - Read it yet?
Just did Phone Post
3/21/13 5:54 PM
Hammerfister
422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great! Thank you! Phone Post
6/19/13 10:34 AM
Jack Brown

Fights tonight!

6/19/13 10:43 AM
UGCTT_SidRival
576 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Met WM at Bellator 85. Could have been a cooler dude. Respect. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.