UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Frank Mir enlists Greg Jackson for Cormier fight

2/13/13 7:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LAS VEGAS -- A new face will appear in Frank Mir’s corner when he takes on Daniel Cormier at a UFC on Fox event in April -- Greg Jackson. 

Mir, 33, plans to join Jackson in Albuquerque, N.M., for an eight-week camp beginning later this month. It’s the first time the Las Vegas native will train for a fight outside his hometown. 

Following a second-round TKO loss to Junior dos Santos for the UFC title in May, Mir says he felt a need to modify his standard routine. 

“I’ve always felt I have great trainers so there was no reason to leave, but my wife and I were talking about how I needed to change things up,” Mir told ESPN.com. “One of the things was maybe I should get out of town and get more focused. 

“I’ve always been impressed with Greg Jackson’s game planning. I figured, before I retire, I want to be a part of that and see what makes this guy so successful.”

During the eight weeks, Mir (16-6) plans to fly home every weekend to see his family. He says the longest he’s ever gone without seeing his three children is four days. An eight-week absence was out of the question. 

Five days out of the week, though, his career will receive his full attention. That hasn’t been the case, really, since he started a family. Recently, the two-time UFC heavyweight champion skipped a workout to sign his daughter up for softball. That kind of thing won’t happen in Albuquerque.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/id/16587/frank-mir-enlists-greg-jackson-for-april-fight

2/13/13 7:07 PM
UGCTT croy_00
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mir wins unanimous decision.......great.
2/13/13 7:08 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
477 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh no, Jackson is gonna make frank Mir boring just like Jon Jones and the rest of his fighters-the UG Phone Post
2/13/13 7:19 PM
HolyHackZack
400 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This worriers me. Mir has the tools to beat Cormier, I just didn't think he would be able to put them together. Jackson is still best game planner in the business. Phone Post
2/13/13 7:22 PM
sockeye
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just made the fight a tad more intradesting hmmmm Phone Post
2/13/13 7:22 PM
Aleck911
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jon Jones is boring? Phone Post
2/13/13 7:23 PM
BOMDC
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Might throw up if I see Mir jab and circle.
2/13/13 7:23 PM
JerodR
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mir does have all of the skills... Honestly it would be interesting to see what the right trainer can do with him. Not the biggest Greg Jackson fan but maybe he is the right guy for the job. Mir seems to have become way too comfortable. He needs that fire under him again.
2/13/13 7:24 PM
Aleck911
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh just saw you signed it-the UG Phone Post
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

God, if we see another Mir/Cro Cop....

yellow c0ckahlc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And they said I was crazy to bet against the Dark Fyodor.

2/13/13 7:28 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

HolyHackZack -  This worriers me. Mir has the tools to beat Cormier, I just didn't think he would be able to put them together. Jackson is still best game planner in the business. Phone Post

tools? no, mir is not permitted to bring his hammer or saw into the octagon...

2/13/13 7:28 PM
kingkoopa

If only bj would do something like this... not greg just a camp change Phone Post
2/13/13 7:41 PM
UGCTT_Edgar_Ate_My_Baby
818 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn Mir is going to be kicking the shit out of Cormier's knee isn't he?

2/13/13 7:42 PM
dunchurrn
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If this goes longer than 5 minutes Mir is gonna lose by DQ when Greg Jackson refuses to leave the cage because they're so deep in discussion
2/13/13 7:44 PM
Vril

Mur needs to train with DUKE!

http://fcfighter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Duke-Roufus.jpg

2/13/13 7:45 PM
WhiteMustang
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unfortunately for Mir this changes nothing for him and he loses badly. Phone Post
2/13/13 7:48 PM
BRZ

Frank takes this fight now

2/13/13 7:59 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
477 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vril -

Mur needs to train with DUKE!

http://fcfighter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Duke-Roufus.jpg

Why? He can't help his chin, all losses by ko/tko. He's gonna go for an early takedown like he did against JDS and then get beat to death on the feet until the ref stops it. Phone Post
2/13/13 7:59 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
Aleck911 -  Jon Jones is boring? Phone Post

Yes....everyone Jackson coaches is boring.  Jones, Condit, Diego, Cowboy, Cub Swanson, Dodson, Brandao, Leonard Garcia, Marquardt, Stann, Arlovski.

All lay n prayers.

-UG Logic Phone Post
2/13/13 8:03 PM

Edited: 02/13/13 8:03 PM
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 

God, if we see another Mir/Cro Cop....

It's just now if he's boring, everyone will blame GJ, but if he goes out and KO's Cormier or breaks his arm, you won't hear any haters give Jackson any credit.  Business as usual.

I actually like GJ.  I was just saying that I don't want to see a boring Mir fight, because he's on of my favorite fighters.  I won't blame Greg if it's a boring fight though.

2/13/13 8:04 PM
dangerboy12
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Mir get's hit he loses
2/13/13 8:06 PM
TuLegit

I like this move. He'll be a more diverse better prepared frank. Phone Post
2/13/13 9:59 PM
youarewhatiswrong
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gameplan:

Keep distance early. Don't box with Cormier, keep him on the outside with push kicks and circle away. In fact, kick to your heart's content (haven't seen many kicks from Frank since the accident, but he had good kicks early in his career), because Cormier isn't going to want to take it to the ground.

The second Cormier forces the fight into clinch range then pull guard like your life depends on it (cause it kinda does), tie him up and do your thing. Frank isn't going to get a traditional takedown, but he might be able to get a sweep from his back (if he's not too busy ripping a limb off.)
2/13/13 10:57 PM
Pessimist_Pete

WhiteMustang - Unfortunately for Mir this changes nothing for him and he loses badly. Phone Post
Actually, It changes his cornerman. Just sayin Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.