UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Do you guys like Glory/K1 Rules or MuayThai more?

6/6/13 7:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gokudamus stole my name - 
Wasa-B - 
Gokudamus stole my name - 
Wasa-B - 
Gokudamus stole my name - I like MT rules with elbows and clinch but i dislike the thai scoring wich is really there for the gamblers anyway

Aside from weighing kicks more, what else about the Thai scoring is different from K1/Glory?

Its not just weighing kicks more. A teep scores more than a legkick unless you visibly hurt him with the legkick, a kick to the arms score more than a punch unless you visibly hurt the opponent with the punch

The scoring for MT is very visual, in holland and other western countries they use clickers to score techniques, in Thailand a guy might land 100 punches but a strong knee from his opponent wins him the round

And keep in mind the knee doesnt have to fold him over, all it takes is that a technique visually shows its effect on the opponent to score, a teep knocks you back, a kick to the arm knocks you back, a punch therefore needs to make you stagger, a legkick needs to make you stagger otherwise no score

Muay Thai is awesome but the sport is highly influenced by thai gamblers. Thats why its so hard to understand for a lot of westerners and imo we need another direction

Interesting. Can see then quite a curve for Thai/MT guys going to K1 and vice versa. Are there different rules within Thailand as well? Like, are elbows ever not allowed? Are they much of a factor?

Also, how long can the clinch go in MT? Until there is an obvious stalemate?

How are sweeps (ie. where you catch a leg and sweep the other) scored in either?

Thanks again, good to learn this stuff.

No the rules are always the same in Thailand. Elbows are not scored at all unless they cut, drop or stagger the opponent but they are a serious factor. Usually the thais dont throw a lot of them against each other, because getting stitches usually means you risk of opening up the cut and not fighting again in 3 weeks. But if they are pissed at each other, then you might see a KO

Clinch is allowed for quite a while but IIRC there was a recent change a few years ago because the gamblers felt it was slowing down too much

Sweeps are scored highly because of course it means you visibly dropped your opponent, but no real throws, you can sweep the guy with your shin/top of your foot, but not reallly foot sweep him judo style. Sort of like how Overeem does it

"a kick to the arms score more than a punch unless you visibly hurt the opponent with the punch"

So you could land a solid, flush punch to the face but unless the guy is visibly rocked, a kick to the arms scores more?

Dam, this is very interesting. I doubt the "K1 rules are watered down" crowd realize this. So Thai scoring is much more discretional or subjective i guess and does not seem to really take into account the real "damage" of a shot where you hurt someone but may have no visible cut or do the fish dance?

6/6/13 7:54 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also watched some clips of clinching and some of the best Thai guys at it. You def see Buakaw tossing guys around in K1 very easily esp with that spinning twist very much like a sasae tsuri komi ashi in judo. As a wrestler/judo guy, Im finding this part of Thai very interesting because its a bit like dirty boxing but not really but where clinching (stand up grappling) and striking come together. Ill try to find that Thai clinch training clip at home. I guess its a bit like judo though where the style of clinching is limited to the rules. In judo, because getting taken down to your stomach doesnt matter so much, that effects the attacks and the stance. In MT, because you cant shoot for the legs for example, the stance is obviously very up right so as to not give up neck/plum position, yeah?

I know Buakaw has competed in the SCup but cant recall specifically how he has done in the clinch vs more grappling orientated guys. Toby Imada is a grappler, right? I'll have to look up some more SCup.

Ive made some threads on this but still trying to think of major MMA bouts between a clinch heavy MT guy vs a grappler esp a Greco or Judo guy. There was Overeem/Lesnar. Shogun fought Randleman but not sure how much clinch there was. Anderson/Chael but most of that was Anderson on the defense more against Chael's td attempts. Anderson was creative in the clinch vs Bonnnar though even Bonnar isnt a strong grappler and Anderson, because he's an MMAer, has more freedom to do things in the clinch (2 on 1 which is more used in wrestling for example).

I think the potential Randy/Wand fight would have been interesting vs Greco vs Thai clinch.

Sakurai vs Trigg was a bit of an example I guess though Sakurai did not dominate with the Thai clinch until he rocked Trigg with a punch first though the punch happened in close quarters.
6/6/13 10:05 PM
Wasa-B

ttt
6/6/13 10:14 PM
Wasa-B

GDSMN:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OdOntAcyZPw

Ha, my blue expired.
6/7/13 2:51 PM
Wasa-B

ttt
6/8/13 4:05 PM
Wasa-B

ttt
6/8/13 4:25 PM
SamboMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll watch both but prefer GLORY/K-1/International Rules.
6/8/13 4:34 PM
InspiritMick
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like both to be honest. I love traditional Thai style of fighting with slow build. I have fought both as well and strangely prefer K1 rules but Thai style without elbows as I can stay pretty

6/10/13 2:22 PM
Duke Roufus
446 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the Input everyone!

Our next event is August 10 under the GLORY Kickboxing rules.

info@nafc.tv if anyone is interested in fighting from our region.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.