UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Starting your own BJJ Brand. Ask me anything.

2/21/13 10:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
On the Mat
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Owner, On the Mat
Hywel Teague - In for some OTM knowledge.

These guys are old-school awesome. The long list of people they've supported includes us too, they VERY generously helped sponsor the BJJ Hacks documentary "Red Belts: Grand Masters of BJJ", currently in production.

Actually, tbh without the old OTM VHS tapes like Mat Burn, Dengue Fever and Scar Tissue, we'd probably not even be doing what we're doing. So huge props to Scotty and co, their influence and contribution to BJJ is immeasurable.

thanks for the kind word! love what you guys are doing too!
2/21/13 10:26 AM
Stackdoe
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later.
2/21/13 10:29 AM
KC007
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In. Phone Post
2/21/13 10:36 AM
sly fox
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
2/21/13 10:45 AM
On the Mat
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Owner, On the Mat
Santino DeFranco - I'm looking at getting some children's clothing going (not MMA related) and was wondering how do I find a good manufacturer? Can I get something in the US that isn't ridiculously expensive? What countries should I be looking at for high quality, soft t shirts for toddlers?

Thanks man. I appreciate any and all help.

Santino DeFranco - Finding a good manufacture is a trial and error process. And never just use one because a good manufacture can go bad in one shipment.

You can do things in the USA but the prices will be double to triple China. However all it takes in one or two bad shipments and that extra profit can be killed.

I lost $200k when my china factory screwed up the black and blue lucky gis. That doesnt even count the money it cost when i replaced every since customers lucky gi pants for free. the postage alone was $$$.

I live in LA there are a number of good manufacturers here in LA. You need to go out and meet them and have them do sampling. You can also attend the MAGIC Apparel show in Las Vegas and visit their source section.

We do our Rash guards and fight shorts here in USA yes the price is way more but the quality and control makes it all worth it. I refuse to make crap cause i use the product and so do my friends. thats how we started, we couldnt get the quality we wanted so we made it.

I dont think you need to look outside the USA to get your blank shirts. You can get them all here. If you went direct over seas you would have very high mins. Check out American apparel, Cygnus, & americana tshirts.

Also i suggest using a poly blend tshirts for kids. they shrink less, stay cleaner, and have antimicrobial properties.
2/21/13 10:48 AM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
DeuceDroppin - 
On the Mat -
DeuceDroppin -  Pitbulls, skulls, tribal, any combination, or all? Phone Post

DeuceDroppin - you'd be surprised at how those themes never stop selling LOL
Scary huh? Hey I actually have an idea and some connections that I would like to talk to you about. It involves a former huge name clothing line and some ideas. What's a good way to contact you or to send you my #? Phone Post

best is to hit me up by email scott at on the mat dot com or on my FB
2/21/13 11:07 AM
DeuceDroppin

On the Mat -
DeuceDroppin - 
On the Mat -
DeuceDroppin -  Pitbulls, skulls, tribal, any combination, or all? Phone Post

DeuceDroppin - you'd be surprised at how those themes never stop selling LOL
Scary huh? Hey I actually have an idea and some connections that I would like to talk to you about. It involves a former huge name clothing line and some ideas. What's a good way to contact you or to send you my #? Phone Post

best is to hit me up by email scott at on the mat dot com or on my FB
Email sent Phone Post
2/21/13 11:11 AM
Lovetriscuit
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On the subject of bamboo and hemp gi's the bullets for pros are always antimicrobial. I do not plan to ever not wash my gi, but how anti microbial are they really? I'm a bit of a germaphobe. Phone Post
2/21/13 11:19 AM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
Lovetriscuit -  On the subject of bamboo and hemp gi's the bullets for pros are always antimicrobial. I do not plan to ever not wash my gi, but how anti microbial are they really? I'm a bit of a germaphobe. Phone Post

Lovetriscult,

I am not a scientist so I cant really give you any exact details. I can tell you that my bamboo gis never smell. you can wear it 10 times an put it in your hot trunk everyday and it still doesnt smell. i love it.

I started making hemp gis back in early 2000s but they just cost too much to make. Bamboo fabric is twice cotton and hemp is twice that. Chris from datsura is a hemp expert and he is helping us with our fabric for the new Hemp Lucky Gis.

I can say that both are way better than cotton.
2/21/13 11:19 AM
dan black
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT 4 OTM!
2/21/13 12:33 PM
Stephen Eakin
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On the Mat -
Stephen Eakin -  Makes AMA thread right before bed. East coast is up early? Vtfd

Kidding Phone Post

Stephen I have been plagued with insomnia since i was in my 20s. I sleep when I can and work the rest of the time. Last night about 3 or 4 hours.
I was just trying to sub, and bump the thread. Poor humor perhaps! Heard lots of great things about OTM Phone Post
2/21/13 12:57 PM
mrgoodarmbar
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah... I was unaware of the awesomeness of you and Gumby... Much props for offering up some expert advice.
2/21/13 1:06 PM
T-Ham
291 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in
2/21/13 1:10 PM
Saltyballs
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread is awesome. Voted up.
2/21/13 3:25 PM
Santino DeFranco
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scotty,

That was freakishly helpful. On a side note, do you have any other Bamboo gi's (besides the Lucky ones) or is that the only one on the market?

Thanks again.
2/21/13 3:58 PM
TheDecider

sub
2/21/13 4:11 PM
Krs10KO.com
348 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OTM- 

I just checked out your site and you've got some great stuff!! I think i may order something. But I have a question you may or may not be able to help me with. I'm raising money for Tap Cancer Out, a nonprofit organization that raises money for cancer orgs on behalf of the BJJ and grappling community. Would you guys ever consider donating any items that I could raffle off?? If youre interested PM me, I can give you more info. Thanks!!! 

2/21/13 4:51 PM
Digitsu
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hywel Teague - In for some OTM knowledge.

These guys are old-school awesome. The long list of people they've supported includes us too, they VERY generously helped sponsor the BJJ Hacks documentary "Red Belts: Grand Masters of BJJ", currently in production.

Actually, tbh without the old OTM VHS tapes like Mat Burn, Dengue Fever and Scar Tissue, we'd probably not even be doing what we're doing. So huge props to Scotty and co, their influence and contribution to BJJ is immeasurable.

Agree 100%. We are in the instructional business becuase of Scotty, Gumby  and the rest of OTM.

2/21/13 5:13 PM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
sickdarce - 

Scotty, this is an awesome thread.

You guys make great products and I love your stores.

Super bummed out that the one in West Covina closed down tho!!

I do have an idea for the kids line you sell, maybe I will email you and we can work on something.

Hit me up I'll try to help!!
2/21/13 5:18 PM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
Santino DeFranco - Scotty,

That was freakishly helpful. On a side note, do you have any other Bamboo gi's (besides the Lucky ones) or is that the only one on the market?

Thanks again.

At this time we only have the Lucky's in bamboo. There is another bamboo gi on the market unfortunately that company bought the left over of our defective bamboo fabric. the fabric mill screwed us over and the fabric ripped. I tried to warn the other company but they didnt believe me and still bought it. oh well.

We have a new bamboo gi with a new fabric coming out in March. its been 3 years in the making and this time fingers crossed we got it figured out!

Im sure some others will follow us with bamboo gis.
2/21/13 5:23 PM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
Animal Mother -  Here's one but its not about starting a company. What other companies use the same gi manufacturer/cut as shoyoroll? Phone Post

Animal Mother, Im not hear to talk about other companies. I will tell you years ago i went to Pakistan and taught 3 factories to make gis using the knowledge i got going to many gi factories in Brazil. That was not the best thing for me to do. LOL since i only used one gi manufacture the other two started emailing the BJJ world offering gis.

Since then employees from those 3 have left and spun off to work for other factories trying to get in on the action. thus causing more spaming from pakistan. course a lot of the spamers are just scammers.

I will say John Ouano makes a very good gi and was very helpful to me when i first started and Bear and i have been friends and talked gis for years. They both use high quality factories and make good gis.
2/21/13 5:40 PM
DaddyRice

If you had to start all over today, without any of your contacts/connections, how would you market your brand? Phone Post
2/21/13 5:51 PM
Krs10KO.com
348 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You skipped right over my question :( 

2/21/13 7:07 PM
pray for japan

in
2/21/13 7:24 PM
thesalfordmongoose
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.