UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Starting your own BJJ Brand. Ask me anything.

2/23/13 10:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
On the Mat
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Owner, On the Mat
er095 -  Good thread, thanks Phone Post

thank U!
2/23/13 10:12 AM
On the Mat
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Owner, On the Mat
er095 -  Good thread, thanks Phone Post

thank U!
2/23/13 2:53 PM
Dana Van Gogh
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On the Mat -
Dana Van Gogh -  I didn't see a question about making a rash guard line. Where can you get a large amount of rash guards made for a brand I'm starting ? Phone Post

Dane Van Gogh, Rash Guards are very tricky. There are some places in the US you can get blank rash guards but they are surfing based stuff. So they are short in the body and the necks tend to be tall and too tight.

You can get them made over seas in China, Pakistan, or Brazil. Brazil has the best Lycra in the world. So they have really good rash guards. However importing from Brazil can be very hard and the import & export taxes can change a lot. So it is hard because your costs can fluctuate fast.

After years of trying to make rash guards over seas I gave up and we now make then all here in LA. yes they do cost a bit more but the quality and the control you have makes up for it quickly. Once you loose it all on one or two batches of rash guards from over seas you'll understand that cheap is not always good.

So I cant recommend any one place to get a lot of rash guards because of my bad experiences. I suggest china over Pakistan or if you like I can quote you a price on bulk blank or printed rash guards just email me.
Thanks so much ill email you for sure. Phone Post
2/23/13 3:26 PM
DavidLangsBlackBelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for later. Just about to trademark... Phone Post
2/23/13 3:31 PM
jjchgo
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

smth416 -  Love OTM. Hope this thread gets attention. Phone Post

this!
2/23/13 3:37 PM
athsportsnutrition
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.athsportsnutrition.com, Owner
Great thread. It's always interesting to hear what other companies did to get started. Thanks for doing this. Phone Post
2/23/13 4:18 PM
backside smith
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Since Jits was invented and perfected in Japan and not Brazil I'm starting my own brand of GI-jamas. I'm thinking about a blue triangle w/ JJJ on it.  maybe a huge pad stiched into the ass so guard floppers won't hurt thier soft little tushies jumping to missionary position. Also extra thick back because well lets face it jits guys spend lots of time on thier backs in the missionary guard. What do you think of my ideas?

2/23/13 5:27 PM
Bojangles

Will you be putting out any new videos (like Laimon's No-Gi Remix, 101 Subs, Dengue Fever)?

Related - do you have competitors sign releases? Do you have a deal with the event promoter? How does this work for the footage from Brazil? Phone Post
2/23/13 7:12 PM
dgthedarkness
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in for later!
2/26/13 11:12 PM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
athsportsnutrition -  Great thread. It's always interesting to hear what other companies did to get started. Thanks for doing this. Phone Post

My Pleasure
2/26/13 11:21 PM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
backside smith - 

Since Jits was invented and perfected in Japan and not Brazil I'm starting my own brand of GI-jamas. I'm thinking about a blue triangle w/ JJJ on it.  maybe a huge pad stiched into the ass so guard floppers won't hurt thier soft little tushies jumping to missionary position. Also extra thick back because well lets face it jits guys spend lots of time on thier backs in the missionary guard. What do you think of my ideas?

Backside smith, sound like a great idea. I can see you put a lot of thought with it. I would use UVA foam for the ass pad. Make sure you use high temp UVA so it will not curl when people put their gis in the hot dryer. TM the JJJ w the triangle ASAP, cause w an idea this good im sure someone will Definitely steal it.
2/26/13 11:27 PM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
Bojangles -  Will you be putting out any new videos (like Laimon's No-Gi Remix, 101 Subs, Dengue Fever)?

Related - do you have competitors sign releases? Do you have a deal with the event promoter? How does this work for the footage from Brazil? Phone Post

Bojangles - We don't have access to the tournament footage like we used to. Most tournament promoters will not let us use their footage anymore so with out the new footage its hard to do magazine videos or 101 subs. :(

The event promoters usually have a release in their contract with the competitors. Releases are always good.
3/4/13 6:34 PM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
Hey if anyone from this tread emailed me and I didnt get back to them please email me again. Feels like i missed someone.

thanks
3/15/13 2:38 PM
thesalfordmongoose
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi,
I tried emailing you on here but it says I can't because we're not 'friends' how can I get in touch?
Thanks very much
James Phone Post
3/16/13 12:30 AM
HITMAN DAN DIAZ
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so i have an idea to make private label rashguards and also fight shorts for gyms and also for other small brands that are starting out. i would come up with my own closing system, patterns and also colors and materials. additionally i would like to make an idea i had for ranked rashguards and also some shorts along the same line. do you think this is a good idea what advice can you give me.

thanks in advance
3/16/13 12:34 AM
Muzalini

Giraffix Inc, Graphic Designer
On the Mat - Hey if anyone from this tread emailed me and I didnt get back to them please email me again. Feels like i missed someone.

thanks
I emailed you regarding a gear bag idea Phone Post
3/16/13 12:37 AM
Gendai Budo
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
5/21/13 8:25 PM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
TTT for Tboney8669
5/22/13 1:20 AM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
HITMAN DAN DIAZ - so i have an idea to make private label rashguards and also fight shorts for gyms and also for other small brands that are starting out. i would come up with my own closing system, patterns and also colors and materials. additionally i would like to make an idea i had for ranked rashguards and also some shorts along the same line. do you think this is a good idea what advice can you give me.

thanks in advance

Hit Man Dan is a pioneer in this industry. And, also a super funny guy. :)
5/22/13 3:33 PM
Tboney8669
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In and thanks to OTM and Snapple. VTFU when i can Phone Post
5/22/13 4:26 PM
aed333
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Scotty,

I was really surprised to learn (in the OMR interview) that you were the same Scotty Nelson as the snowboarder - I remember reading about you back in the day in old snowboard mags!

I was wondering how your previous career influenced your bjj career/OTM?

Thanks
5/22/13 6:36 PM
LEMon
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been to the Vegas and LA store, super awesome I actually peed a little.

My question is not gi related its no gi.

I remember hearing one of the OTM guys was dating Gina carano ...is it true and how do I get her to date me ? Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 11:44 PM
jbelljitsu

Do you guys ever enter into business agreements with new start up businesses? For example if someone came to you with a design or brand idea would you ever be interested in taking over manufacturing and distribution for a % on all sales? Phone Post
5/23/13 1:56 AM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
aed333 - Hey Scotty,

I was really surprised to learn (in the OMR interview) that you were the same Scotty Nelson as the snowboarder - I remember reading about you back in the day in old snowboard mags!

I was wondering how your previous career influenced your bjj career/OTM?

Thanks

Dam you are old timer if you remember back that far. LOL

Well i thought that BJJ would be safer since I was already on the ground. I broke 2 ankles, 1 wrist and dropped my intestines through my stomach wall jump off a cliff at mary jane in Colorado.

After that i couldnt snow board too much LOL!!

I think really I just took the free boarding life to BJJ. I like bjj cause it is about everyone has their own also the idea of pro model boards to pro model gis.

not that much.

where did you used to ride?
5/23/13 1:57 AM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
LEMon - I've been to the Vegas and LA store, super awesome I actually peed a little.

My question is not gi related its no gi.

I remember hearing one of the OTM guys was dating Gina carano ...is it true and how do I get her to date me ? Phone Post 3.0

no comment lol i never dated her

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.